Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FO3 mods

Monocause

Arcane
My friend bought the game yesterday but is afraid that he wouldn't enjoy playing vanilla (as he didn't with morrowind). Are you guys aware of any mods that take at least some suck of gameplay mechanics like VATS or redundant skills etc that you could recommend?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated

Monocause

Arcane
Yes, it IS about my friend. I had my run with FO3 a short time after release and ain't planning to try again :P

Bloody hell, I've overlooked the mod page, link sent. Did anyone tinker with VATS to remove the slo-mo death sequences?

Judging from the first few features of the F3 Balance overhaul I'm tempted to give F3 another go.

Except I uninstalled and deleted it months ago.

Oh well.

Black

Arcane
Maybe you should tell "your friend" to buy good games instead.

Luzur

Good Sir
ive heard of a mod that expands the gameworld by doing traveling in Fallout 1-2 style, big map and points of interest.

but i know no linkage since i read it somewhere on ESF.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Monocause said:
My friend bought the game yesterday but is afraid that he wouldn't enjoy playing vanilla (as he didn't with morrowind)

Kill your friend for being such a retard. You'll be doing humanity a favor.

Monocause

Arcane
It would be kinda foolish to admit playing and even liking FO3 somewhat when the hate was high and lie about it when the topic died and nobody seems to give a fuck anymore.

Though I admit that the "my friend" part sounds suspicious a bit. Well, uh, you know, he isn't exactly my friend, he's a friend of a friend, and he lives overseas. I won't tell you over which seas since I value his privacy.

ive heard of a mod that expands the gameworld by doing traveling in Fallout 1-2 style, big map and points of interest.

but i know no linkage since i read it somewhere on ESF.

Is a world map possible to mod in the game at all, or was it just hay guise i got a cool idea?

Lingwe

Liturgist
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... pic=955096

There's a list of a bunch of the mods that are considered 'good', not sure if anything there is what you are looking for. Expecting game changing mods to come out 4 months after modding started is being a bit unrealistic though if you ask me. Just tell your "overseas friend of a friend" to wait a few years.

Black

Arcane
Monocause said:
Well, uh, you know, he isn't exactly my friend, he's a friend of a friend, and he lives overseas.
Yeah, that sounds less suspicious.

Black

Arcane
Monocause said:
Black said:
Monocause said:
Well, uh, you know, he isn't exactly my friend, he's a friend of a friend, and he lives overseas.
Yeah, that sounds less suspicious.

Well, uh, you know, it was a joke.
See, you already lost yourself. Shouldn't have lied in the first place.

Monocause

Arcane
Well, what do you know, installing that rebalance mod reportedly made FO3 difficult. My friend* tells me he's in Paradise Falls at lvl 9, lacking ammo and getting killed all the time when he gets careless. I remember that around the PF part of the main quest I was about lvl 16, had tons of ammo and got killed only a couple of times around Megaton in the beginning.

Can anyone confirm that with the rebalance mod FO3 actually delivers any challenge? It might persuade me to torrent it again and maybe play with it a bit longer since in vanilla I effortlessly hit the cap without seeing even a half of the possible locations and then just went along the main quest quickly to finish the game.

*I don't want to hear any more allegations that I'm lying about "my friend". That's quite insulting you know, I explained why it would be pure idiocy to lie earlier.

I don't think it'll provide enjoyable challenge in any case, unless the mod increases weapon damage a whole lot. Now it's just surreal how only high explosives have any reliable stopping power, otherwise you'd better stick to that flamer sword, because you can lose something like 500-1000 ammo while clearing a single building. Harder difficulty apparently does nothing but increases enemy hp. As it is I'm not in the mood to play it more. This is one of the few games that somehow manages to give me a headache. I don't recommend playing it, somehow it reminds me of old N64 shit games that have junk mess everywhere to block your path - invisible walls in disguise, and much of it is really sloppy work. Let's say you see a factory far ahead - let's go there and see what we find. Well, we find two tin cans, some ammo, etc. and a few enemies, nothing else. The few places that have something more are completely unrelated to everything and end up feeling hollow.

Bah, I'm sure you've all heard (or seen) this before. In short, don't play this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom