Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Flotilla - Orbital Battleship Maneuvers

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Flotilla - Orbital Battleship Maneuvers
http://www.blendogames.com/flotilla/
Time is played it
- 5 hours
Genre
- 3d rock paper scissors
Rating
- ok where:
bad-not worth your time
ok-meh
good-you wont regret it

good
- interesting combat in multiplayer to a degree
- lotsa of cnc which is a simple if-else
- nice presentation with animals and solid sound
- interesting controls designed for a console (i believe) which translate rather well onto a keyboard

bad
- ai too dumb to make it a singleplayer game

comment
- deserves mention for a lot of cnc, limited campaign time, 3d phase-based combat

The following spoils a lot of stuff which makes the game less enjoyable.

Combat
You start with 2 little rocket ships (there are like 5 types) and have to click on planets which trigger events with cnc or combat. Now the combat is fully 3d where you can order you ships around in 3 modes. Flank is fast but not shooting, Attack is normal and shooting and Focus is slow but massive shooting. The ships have impenetrable Armor in front to defend from Missiles but cant defend from Beam damage without addons. The game lets you control yaw, roll and pitch manually or it will be set automatically. So you pick how to attack, where to move, whom to shoot and how to face them. Press play and wait 30 sec which pisses me off since I cant speed that shit up! Who thought that would be a good idea. Especially since you can speed up in replay. The AI is too dumb and I think it may be cheating sometimes as in, it knows where you point your ships. The basic pincer maneuver with your ships front facing the enemy gets it every time though. You move one of your ships on top and the the other one to the bottom and the AI is done for. On the map there are some obstacles which you can hide behind. I managed to sneaky destroy 2 of AIs biggest ships with my starting fleet of 2 smallest ships by making them focus on one of them who hid behind an asteroid and the other one flanked and hit them from the botton and rear which makes massive damage. In multiplayer (i played a few matches against 1 dude) it becomes a relative guessing game, in essence like in real warfare.

CnC
Here is an event which will later in game come to haunt you in form of combat or joining allies or ship addons.
The game can be played in normal mode for 7 "months" after which your deadly decease gets you or in Hardcore mode where you can explore the whole universe but 1 planet... I never got a battleship in my Flotilla... :(
flotillascreen03.jpg

I asked myself if its worth 10 bucks and could not answer. So I asked myself if its worth 5 buck and I said, definitely. So then I checked how about 15 bucks and the answer was "hmm, maybe". So 10$ is a little steep but alright for my rich but picky self.

But there is Demo. So check it out.

Multi-headed Cow

I would recommend Atom Zombie Smasher over Flotilla for a Blendo game. Flotilla's combat pissed me off a bit, though I might be too popamole.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Multi-headed Cow said:
Flotilla's combat pissed me off a bit, though I might be too popamole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom