Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Flash sucks, right?

Flatlander

Liturgist
Like everyone else around these parts I have this huge, ambitious old school CRPG project that will never be started or finished.

Since technically most of the Codex favorites could be created in Flash I have been thinking about making an even more streamlined version of my game in Flash. Do people in general (and the Codex gentlemen in particular) play any of the more 'demanding' Flash games? Most of what I have been able to find are derpy jrpgs which seem to hugely popular (1. Make a NESque game, 2. Profit from all the hipster journos. Like Sonny or Breath of Death VII in xblig), so my wild guess would be that anything that demands more than 2 seconds of attention wouldn't gather huge popularity in the Flash circles (and consequently profit since Flash market is very much volume driven).

Then again, Flash games are somewhat cross platform and easily distributed, the platform isn't too bad (if somewhat limited) and there is change of making at least a few six-packs out of it which might be a lot more than a real downloadable game might make.

So, would any of you bother playing a Flash RPG in the style of, let's say Might & Magic or old Ultimas?

Piety

Shitpostin'
Codex 2012 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera
I have always assumed that most of the dismissive attitude towards Flash has to do with the type of games typically made with it: quick, simple, and casual. Break that mold and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to make something enjoyable. I've always thought that it was a too-oft-overlooked platform for the reasons you mentioned above. Maybe take a look at the AIR runtime?

Flatlander

Liturgist
Yeah, AIR could provide a way to upgrade a flash game into a 'real' full blown downloadable. There are just two problems with it:

1) I'm not sure how crossplatform it is; does it work on Linux? I'm not a gnufag but for no particular reason other than that I like to develop on Linux I'd like to have the game available on it.

2) Flash is somewhat annoying to work with. If the target platform is native there are a lot more options regarding (crossplatform) libraries and languages which makes Flash (or more accurately, Actionscript or Haxe) less tempting to work with.

Since similar questions could be asked about handheld platforms, I guess the issue is: Is there a place for more demanding games in markets that are already over saturated with practically free casual productions? I'd love to have some good RPGs for Android tablets but given the current situation developing them would be a financial suicide.

Destroid

Arcane
You can't right click? I guess that makes it ok for macfags. It also seems to have utterly horrible performance.

Castanova

Prophet
There's a bunch of RPGs on Kongregate that are more than just casual romps. Monster's Den is a mildly enjoyable blob-game, for example. There are others that I didn't enjoy really but they definitely require a time investment. So, no reason you can't develop an RPG for that platform.

That being said, Flash development is very esoteric and it costs money to buy the tools. So, basically, if you don't know how to program in it already you may be dumping a ton of time into a skill that isn't transferable.

Flatlander

Liturgist
Destroid said:
You can't right click? I guess that makes it ok for macfags. It also seems to have utterly horrible performance.
Are you on Linux or something? Flash performance in general should be just fine. Also, you could play Pool of Radiance with a one button joystick.

Though I'll admit that of the biggest problems (to me, windowed games are just not immersive) Flash has is that, AFAIK, you can't have fullscreen apps that use other than mouse and a few keyboard keys (arrows and some other I think). And even if your game supports fullscreen most portals don't allow that.

Castanova said:
Monster's Den is a mildly enjoyable blob-game
Agreed. Technically there is no reason it couldn't be done.

Castanova said:
That being said, Flash development is very esoteric and it costs money to buy the tools. So, basically, if you don't know how to program in it already you may be dumping a ton of time into a skill that isn't transferable.
It's free and fairly straightforward if don't use any of the commercial Adobe tools, which aren't really required. With the free AS3.0 compiler or Haxe, it's not that much different from native development with, say, SDL.

flushfire

Augur
except for music (and this is because I have no talent for producing it, there's probably a free tool or two for it too), there are multiple free tools to get the job done. Flash Develop for coding. Multiple libraries and engines to handle the basics. sfxr for sfx. Gimp for 2d graphics.

it's just hard to find a "full game" experience with Flash games IMO. Most are designed to be short, casual and just achievement grabbing. such games are easier to make and sell relatively well, thus devs (even really talented ones, i know someone who i think has the ability to make adventures similar to those of old but has relegated to making 1-week $3-5k games) tend to just make those. but as for potential, it's there, just very few bother.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After having worked with ActionScript/Flash for 9 months, I can really say it would be absolutely possible to create a game like (example) Fallout with it.
And complete with modding tools, even!

Still. I don't like to work with it. It has some very, very awkward behaviour sometimes and some bugs so bad that you will never be able to find out what actually causes them.
I also have doubts when it comes to performance, though. But a game like Fallout shouldn't be too heavy on the performance since not so much stuff is going on simultaneously.

Also, Flash DOES support right-clicks. I have seen some games and programs making the usual use of the RMB. You can disable that standard Flash right-click menu and do something else instead,

Arlborn

Novice
It would be possible. Tibia is apparently is releasing a beta flash client tomorrow and it is a MMORPG game with pretty good 2D graphics.

Piety

Shitpostin'
Codex 2012 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera
AIR is available for linux... But you're right, once you're that close to making a desktop app, there's other options that are a lot more attractive. Also, so far as I know (from some limited javascript experience, not sure if ActionScript might be better optimized than browser implementations), any non-graphics work you might need to do will run pretty slow. Talking about stuff like field-of-view with obstacles, pathfinding, etc.

Flatlander

Liturgist
zenbitz said:
Why not HTML5 instead?
There is currently no commercial model for HTML5 what so ever, unless you go with monthly subscription or pay-for-loot system. Otherwise I'd actually prefer it, more geek cred and all that, and it should be about workable for old school RPGs.

JaySn

Educated
You can have a full-screen Flash game using Adobe's projector -- a Star Craft-based tower-defense had this feature, though you had to download the game. Kick the browser into full screen mode, detect the resolution, and fill the browser window with the Flash game should have a similar effect.

I've also seen a port of Doom to Flash that played responsively; chances are if it's from the mid-90s (and your computer isn't) Flash can run it today. You can also alter keybindings, so you're not stuck with the regular arrow keys, and such.

I've just never seen anything that great with Flash.

sproket

Novice
I chose Java for Goldchest because I wanted easy cross platform for Mac, Linux and Windows. Flash is pretty good in this area as well with a few caveats.

- Support is spotty under Linux.
- It's can be slow sometimes - usually under firefox
- There's no 3D toolkits that I know of (if you want 3D).

But ActionScript is quite nice and easy to learn so it really depends on what you want to do.

My thought is to strongly consider cross platform tools since it gives you a better coverage out there for these small independent games.

sproket

Novice
zenbitz said:
Why not HTML5 instead?

Yes actually HTML5 is not a bad candidate. This is a great up and coming tech. It's still a wait-and-see how well Microsoft ends up supporting it though, and JavaScript can be very painful to develop larger projects in.

Flatlander

Liturgist
sproket said:
I chose Java for Goldchest because I wanted easy cross platform for Mac, Linux and Windows. Flash is pretty good in this area as well with a few caveats.

- Support is spotty under Linux.
Apparently lots of Linux and Mac users have problems with Flash, but for me it has always worked better than Java. It's fine when it works but it seems that half of the JVM stuff I try just end up spitting out random stack traces.
- There's no 3D toolkits that I know of (if you want 3D).
There are 3D libraries/engines for Flash but IME they are very slow and limited. But the basic 3d features of Flash are perfectly capable of recreating something like an early -90s blob crawler, for example.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Personally what turns me off is:

"Be aware that clearing your browser's cache will delete your save file".

I can't stand losing a save file, obviously especially more so for an RPG.

zenbitz

Scholar
Never had a flash (or java for that matter) problem with Mac, although I do alt my mouse so that I can right-click.

I think the main reason flash is on the outs for these types of efforts is iPhone/iPad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom