Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Five Things We Learned From Fallout

TNO

Augur
I'm probably wrong, but I thought there was a route where you could talk the Master down without the disk where you argue "All the mutants are sterile" "O RLY?" "Ask them" ":(".?

No idea about the requirements - I think you will have needed to talk to the scribe but not have the disk on you.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
TNO said:
I'm probably wrong, but I thought there was a route where you could talk the Master down without the disk where you argue "All the mutants are sterile" "O RLY?" "Ask them" ":(".?

Yes that was one way to do it.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
TNO said:

No idea about the requirements - I think you will have needed to talk to the scribe but not have the disk on you.
You always need the disk, IN and speech. He asks about proof, you give him the holodisk, he accuses you of a forgery and only then you can suggest he should ask his mutants. Then you also have to choose wisely which group he should ask. Lieutenant actually knows about the problem, decided not to tell Master about it and ordered the scientist not to tell anyone either. That means that the female mutants are the only good choice, if you tell him to ask scientists you may get another chance and asking lieutenant always leads to combat.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
According to Per Jorner's walkthrough you can do it without the disk, but you have to have read the disk.

The "diplomatic" solution demands that you carry or have read Vree's autopsy report and that you have IN 7 and good Speech to get all the dialogue options (there's always Mentats). Get the Master to tell you of his plan, say he's got a problem, and then either show him the disk (if you have it), or tell him to ask his female mutants. There are several dialogue paths that lead to combat, so take care. If you succeed, you'll leave dialogue and the 4-minute bomb countdown starts.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Virtual Vice said:
I just wonder if it wouldn't be possible to have deep and consequential interaction with NPC's on all levels, and all of that being proper roleplaying and character development, without relying on assigning points to skills or stats, but gaining and losing points on a system separate from the core stats.
Well, the alignment system in PS:T and to a lesser extent NWN1&2 is similar to your approach. The shift in alignment as you made decisions (granting all rights and priveledges/detriment) made each play somewhat unique. However, they still had stats and xps you accrued.

I suppose the closest to a pure system based on character interaction and player actions? Uh, Deus Ex?

Topher

Cipher
Well, I learned beyond any shadow of a doubt that I love to hurl 5lbs. rocks at the groins of small children; though, ending a womans child bearing days with that very same rock is a close, close second.

Vibalist

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
Vibalist said:
I brought up Fallout 1 as an example of how one could handle a final boss fight without simply throwing waves of enemies at the player.
Aherm... The ending of Fallout has Super Mutants charging up the passageway as you fight the Master as well Floaters and Robot attacking you en mass (in fact I'm pretty sure the Super Mutants even respawn constantly until the Master is dead - and after checking, yes 12 Super Mutants spawn in succession to fight you as the Master has at you as well).

I shouldn't have written final boss fight, but final encounter, then. What I meant was that Fallout 1 was an example of a final encounter where you didn't necesarrily had to wade through enemies, as you could also solve it diplomatically or through the science skill.

Virtual Vice

Educated
Daemongar said:
Virtual Vice said:
I just wonder if it wouldn't be possible to have deep and consequential interaction with NPC's on all levels, and all of that being proper roleplaying and character development, without relying on assigning points to skills or stats, but gaining and losing points on a system separate from the core stats.
Well, the alignment system in PS:T and to a lesser extent NWN1&2 is similar to your approach. The shift in alignment as you made decisions (granting all rights and priveledges/detriment) made each play somewhat unique. However, they still had stats and xps you accrued.

I suppose the closest to a pure system based on character interaction and player actions? Uh, Deus Ex?

I mean something a little more developed than an alignment system, although an alignment system could be part of it. I was thinking of a more complex system that tracked a large number of different factors, and it would be tied to some form of stats or values ( visible by the player for the most part, although not too transparent) separate from the character's combat stats or "trade" skills. And removing the need or justification for skills like persuasion/speech or charisma etc.

It would have factions of course.

Town specific reputations ( like the ones already present in the fallouts and other games), something like an alignment ( or karma like in fallout) but with more implications ( it could for example be something that only affected interaction with particular characters), you could have a reaction rating for each NPC depending on all those different sorts of factors being tracked by the game system, alongside its particular like, dislike for another NPC or NPC's, your past dealings with him/her etc etc.

You could have different kinds of reputation ( like fame, infamy, status tied to titles or achievemnts, poor examples I know), and have these act as multipliers to other kinds of reputation etc.
And all of this integrated.

These are just examples and of course none of this is new at all, and im not bashing FO1/FO2 ( FO2 and Arcanum are my favorite pc rpgs), what I meant is by integrating all these different factors ( some already present in certain games in separate) in a single game I believe you could have a great system in terms of general roleplaying and choices and consequences without relying on somewhatimes illogical abstractions like a persuasion skill ( or anything of the sort), or an attribute like charisma and stats/skills along those lines.

Especially considering these kinds of stats when highly developed provided a simple bypass to many situations which could be made more interesting with more focus on the dialog itself and interactions with NPC's, factions etc etc.

Just my opinion.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And orcs. Only they call them supermutants.

I'm sorry, you're confusing it with Fallout 3. You know, that totally intelligent and awesome game that you love.

BTW, why is this moron still around?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
It's an allrigh article, the thing which caught my attention though is the last paragraph, the allmighty rats. Why do they always have to be the first critters approaching the PC (not counting Torment here)? :D

I skimmed through the starting maps of my own little mod and - surprise - rats. Some dogs though! But this is really funny, I wouldn't know what other critters I could place as "level 1" creeps.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Surf Solar said:
I skimmed through the starting maps of my own little mod and - surprise - rats. Some dogs though! But this is really funny, I wouldn't know what other critters I could place as "level 1" creeps.

Maybe some
druggie.gif
?

I don't know, the rats are perfectly fine if your game starts in a sewer or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom