Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Ninja Gaiden 3 screenshots

KalosKagathos

Learned
http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/01/ninja-g ... f-famitsu/

Shown: Dragon Sword, some kind of a slide move, blood.

I should make a "Why Ninja Gaiden is an intelligent game" thread one of these days. I'm currently replaying Sigma for a third time (all the way from Normal to Master Ninja), and the perfection makes me want to shed many man tears. :love:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Not enough jiggle physics.

IF YOU FUCK THIS UP HAYASHI I WILL FIND YOU AND DO UNSPEAKABLE THINGS YOU HEAR!????!! CODEXIA HAS NOT THE FONT LARGE ENOUGH FOR MY SPERGIN' CHIMPOUT!

But yeah, not too optimistic about this given how awful Sigma 2 was (totally gutted most of the fun from Ninja Gaiden 2), and the dreadful Other M. Itagaki might not be the best, but the team he assembled, was pretty awesome. Sadly, they left with him, and I don't think Tecmo has given Hayashi any real talent to work with after the mass exodus post-NG2.

Also...

The game, which is rumored to run at 60 frames per second, contain competitive and co-op multiplayer for up to eight players, upgradeable weapons and possible PS Move support will hopefully be shown more at E3 next week.

Too much gimmickry, not a good idea, never has done anything for Ninja Gaiden. Hayashi doesn't seem to realize this, what with terrible additional characters, and a godawful excuse for Mission Mode in Sigma 2 (at least it was free; however, to be fair, NG2 Mission/Survival mode was one of the few DLCs that has actually felt "worth it") ruined by the need for co-operative play. Terrible ideas all around.

KalosKagathos said:
I'm currently replaying Sigma for a third time (all the way from Normal to Master Ninja), and the perfection makes me want to shed many man tears. :love:

Perfection? Sigma? Nah. Sigma was a flawed copy of the excellence that was Black*. If you do that thread thing tho', I might be down to show up and sperg harder than ever 'bout why Ninja Gaiden (Black) is so amazing.

*Still good though. Sigma 2 on the other hand....

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ehh, lame. They should reboot the series with a drog addict, heavy smooker, teenage, emo protagonist, just like Capcom did with DMC.
FUCK Capcom, FUCK, FUCK :rage:

Phelot

Arcane
The only two I enjoyed:

Ninja_Gaiden_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg
Ninja_Gaiden_2_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

:love:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
KalosKagathos said:
I'm currently replaying Sigma for a third time (all the way from Normal to Master Ninja), and the perfection makes me want to shed many man tears. :love:
I've currently been stuck on the Master Ninja Alma fight for some time. It's beginning to feel more like a chore than anything else.

Exmit

Scholar
How is Ninja Gaiden 2 ? Never played any ninjas but i can get this one.

Kraszu

Prophet
possible PS Move support will hopefully be shown more at E3 next week.

Sounds like the developers now have the technology that they always wanted for Ninja gaiden games.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
Perfection? Sigma? Nah. Sigma was a flawed copy of the excellence that was Black*. If you do that thread thing tho', I might be down to show up and sperg harder than ever 'bout why Ninja Gaiden (Black) is so amazing.

*Still good though. Sigma 2 on the other hand....

Concur, Black is... honestly perfect. To be fair though, it's also the third iteration of the game by the same team (Original, Original + Hurricane Packs, Black). Sigma has some interesting things going on but is also inexplicably missing some things from Black. My only complaints with Black are from having to play it on the 360 emulator.

Exmit: Ninja Gaiden 2 is a decent game (I know some people love it more than I for its ferocious pace), but Black is truly where it's at.

As for Ninja Gaiden 3... I don't know man. Black may just be as good as it gets. Though there's no shame in that. Kalos you should make that thread...

Exmit said:

If you have a 360, then pick up Ninja Gaiden Black off the Xbox Marketplace. Or buy a solid copy and use the backwards compatibility. Black is totally worth it, and a much better starting point. Also the best action game of it's kind ever made, bar none.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is good, but seems more made for the hardcore fan. Enemies are numerous and ferocious; you'll often have 5+ enemies on you at once, all of whom can deliver blows that can take off half your health...or more. Bosses are also a lot more nasty here, some of them not playing particularly fair. Overall though, it's a good game if you like hyper-fast-paced action gaming. I'd advise against Sigma 2 though...it has all the flaws of NG2, but without the quantity of enemies and the awesome speed. For some reason, they couldn't properly program the game (serious incompetence with no excuse; the PS3 processing power is greater than the 360's, no?), meaning they dropped enemy counts drastically, and to compensate they made enemies into HP sacks, mucking up the gameplay speed, and basically sucking all the fun from NG2, rather than being the fixed/perfected version all the fans wanted. Plus, you have to play as characters who are not Ryu Hayabusa, which would almost always be a bad thing, seeing as you play a poorly programmed set of tits.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Agree with everything Edward R. said.

It says something when, as a fan of TB gameplay and RPG/TBS/Adventure genres, Ninja Gaiden Black (a fast, furious and difficult action game) is quite possibly my favorite game of all time.

I keep a heavily modded xbox on hand just so I can go back to it anytime.... and I still do regularly.

Sigma on the PS3 is almost as good, but seems a little easier. I think if NG2 on the 360 didn't exist, Sigma 2 on the PS3 would probably be seen as ok, but agreed it's no where near as good as the original (NG2).

Fingers crossed for NG3, but yeah, have my doubts.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Never played Black because I never owned an Xbox, but the only real example of dumbing down the Black vs Sigma threads I read mentioned was making the first attack of the berserkers' sword combo counterable. Thing is, they made up for it in another way: berserkers now make use of their full arsenal of moves even when they are off screen, something they apparently didn't do in Black.

New features are, indeed, underwhelming. Rachel's boring to play, but her levels can be done in an hour at most (much less if you skip her looong second fiend challenge, the dinosaur one). Dragon Claw and Tiger Fang are redundant, since you already have Dragon Sword and Kotetsu for all your sword-related needs (if they wanted to demo an NG 2 weapon, the tonfas or the scythe would be better picks), but you're entirely free to just ignore them. Gamov is actually a fun boss.

All things considered, I fail to see why Black players are so condescending towards Sigma. It's very faithful to the original, as far as ports/remakes go.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
The master at the MS kinect circus splurge.

itagakipic.jpg

For me, the highlight of the evening was watching Ninja Gaiden creator Tomonobu Itagaki walk into the event in his white robe, taking in the scene behind his traditional sunglasses. He looked around a few times, stood quietly for a few moments and then turned around and left.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Exmit said:

If you have a 360, then pick up Ninja Gaiden Black off the Xbox Marketplace. Or buy a solid copy and use the backwards compatibility. Black is totally worth it, and a much better starting point. Also the best action game of it's kind ever made, bar none.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is good, but seems more made for the hardcore fan. Enemies are numerous and ferocious; you'll often have 5+ enemies on you at once, all of whom can deliver blows that can take off half your health...or more. Bosses are also a lot more nasty here, some of them not playing particularly fair. Overall though, it's a good game if you like hyper-fast-paced action gaming.
I never noticed any unfairness from the bosses. Most of NG2's problems come from it being a rushed game. The framerate can be extremely shitty at times, which is inexcusable in a game like NG. The camera is also pretty bad, kind of jerky and walls don't turn transparent when you're fighting close to them so you can't see shit, and it's zoomed in way too close. I also missed the lack of exploration, I preferred the Metroidvania-style city Black had instead of the straight-forward levels in NG2.

And don't get me started on the controls for fighting on the water. :x

Still very fun, especially the deliciously fast and brutal combat, but it lacks the polish and tightness that made Black a classic.

Kraszu

Prophet
KalosKagathos said:
Never played Black because I never owned an Xbox.

Apparently the emulator works for that game I had not tried it cxbx.

Edit no after looking more it looks like it is not supported but no sure info.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why don't you guys go ahead and tell me what's so great about Ninja Gaiden?

Compare it to God Hand, too.

I've still not gotten around getting an Xbox. Well, that's not quite true: I found one on the side-walk, but its HD was broken, and I didn't really care enough to replace it at the time.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Fat Dragon said:
The camera is also pretty bad, kind of jerky and walls don't turn transparent when you're fighting close to them so you can't see shit, and it's zoomed in way too close.
This is the same in the first game, unless you're saying they actually made it worse.

Sorry for the spergin'.

KalosKagathos said:
the only real example of dumbing down the Black vs Sigma threads I read mentioned was making the first attack of the berserkers' sword combo counterable.

There were other things too, like many attacks that guard crushed being changed to guard breaks, and enemy AI being changed to be less aggressive, most notably Awakened Alma (who also no longer "leads" Ryu with her energy ball shots; in Sigma they're dodged like every other projectile, whereas in Black you have to switch up between roll-jumping and regular running to avoid getting hit).

Thing is, they made up for it in another way: berserkers now make use of their full arsenal of moves even when they are off screen, something they apparently didn't do in Black.

Which turned multiple berserker fights into affairs in turtle-tactics with, say, the Lunar. You can't afford to fight them normally over a sustained period of time when fireballs will rape you out of nowhere from off-screen. More hardcore, yes. More fun, I would disagree.

It's things like this that tear Sigma down more than dumbing down. Sigma probably comes out even with Black in terms of hardcoreness, surpassing it in a lot of areas*. The problem is, this hardcore nature isn't well designed in Sigma, and makes it seem more like a cheap fan-port than a work by the group that developed Ninja Gaiden for 7-8 years. So many decisions leave me scratching my head in bewilderment. There are lots of these, like placing ogres, basts, berserkers etc. on all the difficulties, rather than having greater differentiation between difficulties based on the enemy types. Or the fact that they don't give you the nunchaku earlier, a la Black's higher difficulties, yet let you pick up the Dabi early (granted, this is a glitch, as you shouldn't be able to break certain barriers with incendiary shuriken in Black, but they forgot to program this in Sigma). Or the aesthetic changes, namely copious amounts of bloom and the terribad final boss music they used instead of the good track Black had.

Those add up to make Sigma look bad in comparison, but the two cardinal sins of Sigma are Rachel and how terribly they screwed up the karma system.

Rachel screwed up the pace of single player a lot, but the real damage in her inclusion was how much they gutted Mission Mode to fill in Missions for her. Sigma loses out on some of the best challenges from Black as a result of them shoehorning Rachel in. No Awakened Alma mission and no Niccae and Ishtaros for Ryu, in addition to some others I forget at the moment. Not to mention, a good deal of Rachel missions were exact copies of Ryu's. It's sad that they couldn't just, I dunno, copy all of Black's missions, allow a character select, and then add more. That doesn't sound that hard, now does it?

And the karma system...oh boy...this is where the hate comes in because Hayashi's team was nothing but lazy and incompetent here. This is why the hardcore fans who have played both Black ans Sigma tend to dislike the latter. Basically, on the higher difficulties, the Sigma team did no work to properly balance the scoring time limits on a lot of encounters, and certain encounters were completely impossible to finish on time. This practically ruins the scoring aspect, especially in places like the fiend challenges. And as icing on the cake, many fights are bugged, and don't even register a score at all. It pretty much ruins a whole different way to play the game that was in black and the original iteration.

*For example, Chapter 1 is MUCH harder in Sigma when playing on Master Ninja, as you have access to only the Dragon Sword, whereas in Black you also start with the nunchaku, and obtain the Lunar halfway in. However, it's a lot less "fun" this way, as you have less moves at your disposal and have to use/abuse the same sort of "safe" moves over and over. Certainly, it requires precision, but I find it to be less enjoyable, and Sigma gives little value to the nunchaku, whereas Black made them a useful early game role-player on higher difficulties.

Also, Niccae and Ishtaros with Rachel and the final challenge in Sigma's Mission Mode are incredibly challenging, but poorly designed. Three greater fiends at once in an area that was cramped with two? Great job Sigma team! Wallspam ad nauseum...fun...

Fat Dragon said:
I never noticed any unfairness from the bosses.

Then you must be much better than I am, or laws of probability continue to hate me.

Gigadeath (the subway fiend) had a nasty habit of "attack stacking", meaning he would spam homing mini-hims at the same time as shooting you with electricity. This left you in a little predicament, as the electricity required you to dodge, but the mini-hims require you to stand your ground and repel them with attacks. Basically, you had to fire off ninpo or take a lot of damage, which made it seem like this boss fight crawled it's way out of the circle of hell reserved for bad SHMUP designs and into the NYC subway.

The two dragons were a little cheap as well, just because they had the magical ability to make the camera go nuts; not just be tricky to manage, but actually spaz the fuck out and make the game unplayable. Granted, this is a one-in-a-thousand fights occurrence, but it still is annoying.

And the rest of the bosses are mostly fine, but I do notice some things they do, that while they aren't "unfair", they'll certainly seem it the uninitiated, like the way Elizabet loves to cancel out of attacks, grab you at lightning speed, and then take off 3/4 of your health. You learn to deal with these things, it just is a bit unintuitive, and something that a non-adherent to the series/genre might find "unfair".

sser

Arcane
Developer
Love the Ninja Gaiden series. I have no faith in Hayashi, though. He has some really goofy statements about "feeling" death and shit, and then there's the bullshit about the PS-Move, or what look like thin references to QTEs when he talks about God of War. Oh well. BTW, there's a really good video comparing Sigma 2 and NG2 (Xbox) on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDAiYc_sy8A

Edit:

The two dragons can be taken out with Void ninpo. Didn't know about it on my initial (Warrior-mode) run through the game... Trying to line up bow and arrow shots while those little dragons knock you around is like playing out a Charlie Chaplin film in high-def. Elizbet could not only cancel her combos, but her hit box was completely broken where you would have weapons go clear through her and do no damage. Extremely frustrating boss. Gigadeth was pretty bad, but he's topped by Dagra Dai (sp?) who was almost entirely luck based.

This is then compared to bosses like Volf, Genshin, the Trolls and the giant skeleton who could be beaten quite easily without even getting touched (except Ch.8 Genshin on higher difficulties, as he is surrounded by ID-ninjas). Then you have bosses like the armadillos who can either be hilariously insane if you fight them normally, or another no-hit fight when you realize incendiary shurikens can take them out easily.

NG2 literally has no sense of balance because it is a rushed, unpolished game. With its rocky development history I am surprised it's not worse. However, it's still brilliant fun and for some reason I keep picking it back up.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
needs more trademark Team Ninja side-boobs and spandex-ass

KalosKagathos

Learned
Thanks for the writeup, Edward. The stuff about the scoring system does sound like :decline:. I'll try the emulator and see for myself, I guess.

Ryu joins the war on terror: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-20 ... den/714760

Hard to tell much from the trailer. They seem to be expanding on the platforming bits: there's PoP-esque wall climbing now. Dragon Sword is the same as ever.

Hah, I have only played Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (and the NES games of course), the only PS3 SP game I have genuinely enjoyed to any degree and now I hear it's some kind of a bastard :)

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO EDWARD CAN YOU TELL WRITE UP ABOUT BAYONETTA

BRO JUST INTERESTING IN YOUR OPIONION AND IF HE HAS ME ON IGNOR CAN AOTHER BRO REPEAT MY REQUEST

NG2 ON THE HARDER DIFFCULTY RAPED ME I SUPPOSE THE FIRST NG DID TOO BUT YEAH THE MECHANICS AND BLANCE SEEMED HARDER AND MORE FUCKED IN NG2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom