Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News First KOTOR 2 movies at GameSpot

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
The problem with this title as Saint said, and indeed the "prequel", is the inflation of Force users. Jedi and Sith were a lot cooler when they were mysterious rather than regular cannon fodder. It's almost starting to look like what we used to call "dragon inflation" back when we played a Swedish D&D knock-off; every big adventure needed something deadly and dangerous which pretty much always ended up being a dragon (we were young and dumb back then, as opposed to old and dumb now). Obviously, the Star Wars equivalent of a dragon is a Sith Lord and this game even has several of them. I guess this problem stems from the fact that experienced Force users, Jedi or Sith, are in a league of their own in the setting both because of their powers and their weapon of choice. The only way mere "mortals" stand a chance is through superior numbers and/or technology, or if the game cheats and lets mundane mundane weapons block the lightsabers (Ghaffi sticks anyone?), something which I imagine this game will do as well.

Anonymous

There is that chemical, Chrosis or whatever, that exsists in the SW world. It greatly reduces the effect of Lightsabers (to almost resisting it) on whatever it's applied on.

suibhne

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
There is that chemical, Chrosis or whatever, that exsists in the SW world. It greatly reduces the effect of Lightsabers (to almost resisting it) on whatever it's applied on.

Did cortosis even exist in the SW universe prior to Jedi Knight II? I always assumed that game simply made it up.

As for the abundance of jedi, that's the way it was supposed to be in the Old Republic. What got me was the abundance of sith; there seemed to be many more sith than jedi. (The Sith Academy was fine, because most of the students were just that - students. It was all of the encounters with Sith Masters which got under my skin. On the other hand, the game would have been a lot better in many, many ways if the entire Star Forge sequence had been axed.)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
suibhne said:
Did cortosis even exist in the SW universe prior to Jedi Knight II? I always assumed that game simply made it up.
Yes, it's a natural element that's practically everywhere: from drinking water (makes your skin lightsaber-resistant) to soil (any plant that grows in it would deflect lasers and lightsabers easily, which explains the tribal sticks). The only thing that's hard to explain is why would anybody use a lightsaber then, although glow-in-the-dark sticks were always popular.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
suibhne said:

I'm such a geek that I know (or at leas am pretty sure) that cortosis ore was made up in the novel I, Jedi where it was used in the body armor of some Darksiders. From what I remember, the stuff is supposed to be quite heavy and brittle (not to mention rare), meaning that it don't do shit against regular weapons and is certainly not suitable for use in weapons. Also, it doesn't exactly stop lightsabers, but rather cause some kind of power surge, causing an emergency shutdown of the blade (now that effect would be cooler), but the surface would still be harmed by the initial contact.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Argh. I just wanna play the stupid game and not read this mumbo jumbo. Is that too much to ask? :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
They're providing the game engine and accompanying support.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
What 'accompanying support'? What exactly does that entail in this case? how much man power? How much influence do they have? Heck, almost all the rpess releases on KOTOR2 barely mentions BIO at all.

Heck, at least they are helping to hype up the Witcher including hosting at their booth.

I just don't see, outside of the engine and backstory from KOTOR1 that BIo actually has for KOTOR2.

Therefore, in conclusion, whetehr or not I'm a Biowhore is irrelevant.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Most of what you type is irrelevant anyway. I was just answering your question. :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
My irrrelvance (depsite the fact as any good troll I get lots of responses :D ) is irrrelevant to KOTOR2. Please stay on topic. :cool:

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
What does Bioware have to do with KOTOR2? :?
Jeez, don't they test for reading comprehension in Canaduh? Whether or not Bio makes KotOR II: Lightsaber Boogaloo is irrelevant to the fact that your comment of just wanting to play the game without thinking critically (or at all) is the essence of the BioWare fanbase, of which you are eminently representative.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Huh? Who said I don't play critically? I do it all the time. Heck, I criticize KOTOR1 a lot. Do you even know how to read? How else can one explain you misisng my complaints on KOTOR's easy, and simple combat; stupid mini games, and horrible inventory system just to name a few things? But, yeah, I play without thinking critically. LMAO I just don't give a damn about the stupid stuff the others were disucssing because it's boring and is pretty much irrelevant to me on whether it's a good or bad game. period.

But keep up the studies at school. You might actually learn how to read... someday soon... ok, ok... maybe 10 years from now. :roll:

Spazmo

Erudite
Volourn said:
LMAO I just don't give a damn about the stupid stuff the others were disucssing because it's boring and is pretty much irrelevant to me on whether it's a good or bad game. period.

A hah! Volourn finally admits he doesn't give a shit about role playing and non-linearity in RPGs! Gee, Vollie, had you just stated that from the getgo, nobody would mind that you like NWN, really.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Spazmo, you better do what Sammael states, and take a course in reading comprehension as anyone with half a brain can see I didn't say anything of the sort. But, that's cool, the Spaz Attack that you are, I'm not too surprised.

Spazmo

Erudite
I could point out that Sammael's statement doesn't actually suggest any direct course of action and in fact denies that any suitable solution to the Volourn Connundrum exists, but I'll just stop bothering with Volourn until he gets a clue or, better still, a sense of humour. Maybe I should have added a big "LOLOLOLOLIPOP" at the end?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Maybe, maybe not. I have a sense of humour; but the joke's gotta be funny. Be more like X or VD. At least their jokes are humourous. :D But, hey, Spaz Out all you want, I'm afirad of no Spaz Attack. Afterall, I've known women for 27 years.

*looks around* I kid, I kid, gals. :shock: :wink:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
DTU: No, but I have been living with yours.

VD: Yes, exactly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom