Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Fallout New Vegas uh "Review"

Lingwe

Liturgist
So apparently some dude with access to a keyboard started typing and posted a review of Fallout New Vegas 2 days earlier than the Bethesda Offical Sanction (tm) date of the 19th.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/fallout-vegas-review/

The ease of management of your quests and inventory are back, your trusty pip boy returns to guide you on your way. In fact, it's all pretty much the same as Fallout 3 So what's not to love? As someone who did enjoy the first game very much, it was nice to see some improvements made on the core elements of the game.

The differences are so small between Fallout 3 and New Vegas aside from the setting of course, that it's hard to really appreciate any changes to the structure of the title because they are fairly minuscule.

It is almost as if the developers just used the assets from Fallout 3 made a few new areas to turn the capital wasteland into the Mojave wasteland and called it a game.

In addition to the graphics feeling a bit dated, Fallout New Vegas' story just never hit home with me the way that Fallout 3's did. Maybe it was the fact that Fallout 3 was my first title in the series to have ever played so I didn't really know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised

Fallout New Vegas is a good game, but it plays second fiddle to Fallout 3. It takes nearly everything about its previous title, while only making minor adjustments to the gameplay, graphics and infrastructure of the game which ultimately makes Fallout New Vegas feel like an old shoe.

Of course it could just be a crock of shit because he doesn't actually mention anything that someone who didn't have access to the game wouldn't know.

And we leave you with:

As hardcore Fallout fans, you guys are going to focus on the smaller improvements and obsess over the storyline. The reviewers are going to look at the larger picture that the average gamer is going to notice. And the fact is, F:NV is not going to be much of an improvement over FO3 to the uninformed/casual gamer.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
New Vegas can't be as good as Fallout 3 because it wasn't made by Bethesda, duh.

rageaholic

Novice
Very useful review. If this mouthbreathing retard didn't like the game it's probably good.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
New Vegas can't be as good as Fallout 3 because it wasn't made by Bethesda, duh.

It's a shooter made by Obsidian. So it's a big question which one is worse

flushfire

Augur
In addition to the graphics feeling a bit dated, Fallout New Vegas' story just never hit home with me the way that Fallout 3's did. Maybe it was the fact that Fallout 3 was my first title in the series to have ever played so I didn't really know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised
good to know. im now looking forward to the game.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
rageaholic said:
Very useful review. If this mouthbreathing retard didn't like the game it's probably good.

Actually that review pretty much sounds like something the average codexfag would've written. :smug:

madbringer

Arcane
Considering this guy is clearly a console peasant, by applying reverse psychology to his pathetic rantings, it would seem NV is a massive improvement over it's predecessor.

FINALLY A GOOD FALLOUT GAME AFTER ALL THESE YEARS OH GEE OH GOLLY

I love how consolefags magically expect a game on the same engine to look better while running on the same hardware just because a few years have passed. I suppose Obsidian didn't sprinkle enough magical fairy dust on the game to make the consoles faster?

Fallout New Vegas' story just never hit home with me the way that Fallout 3's did.

This is probably a good sign for any codexian impressions. Anyone thinking the abortion of a plot that Fallout 3 had was a story isn't qualified to be making reviews.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I'm always a bit baffled when people say that dated graphics are a bad point. I mean seriously, an old engine means better performance on older hardware. My PC is goddamn 6 years old, and yes I am a poor student and so on, but shit, couldn't they just stop gleefully reinforcing this pathetic consumer trap of always buying new shit to get a ephemere sense of fulfillement and wonder? Seriously, those people aren't paid by microsoft or something, they need to start getting a brian, it pisses me off. As far as I'm concerned 3d games graphics haven't evolved much beyond, say, Half-Life 2 (more like Bloodlines, as it used the same engine), and that's fine. Pilling on the little shit details is pointless, although I guess they're trying to reach photo-realism of course, but if that takes 20 years to see serious change then you'd have to be a major sucker to keep buying hardware for those 20 years. I know I'm being unrealistic with the consumer mindset, but yeah, this is when I feel like punching an economy major in the face.

zeitgeist

Magister
Lingwe said:
Of course it could just be a crock of shit because he doesn't actually mention anything that someone who didn't have access to the game wouldn't know.
A large number of reviews don't. It's perfectly possible to write a review that's up to par with current "professional" standards with access to nothing more than the PR sheet reviewers get, or even just the publicly available PR information. No need to even see the game. This is done more often than you'd think.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mastermind said:
rageaholic said:

Actually that review pretty much sounds like something the average codexfag would've written. :smug:

If it was written by a codexer it would've been the same except the sentence about story would be replaced by "zomg I like Avellone cock" no matter how retarded the story is (see AP) and guarded by dozens of fanboi ready to tear you apart.
But no worry - it will happen the same moment Failout 3 New Vegas will become available to the Codex masses.

Serious Business said:
I mean seriously, an old engine means better performance on older hardware.
Tell that to 80% of ports from the platform that is 5 years old.

Ruprekt

Scholar
It is almost as if the developers just used the assets from Fallout 3

Good. Assuming that means Fallout 3 minus the insipid story/characterisation and fuckedup bethesda gamebalance.

On the balance of probabitlies I'm going to buy this, only thing that's making me dither is the steam requirement which makes the Piratebay edition look more appealing.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Lingwe said:

Bingo.

Stabwound

Arcane
1. Find high-profile game
2. Make up bullshit review before big name sites are allowed to
3. Profit

Reject_666_6

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Mastermind said:
rageaholic said:

If it was written by a codexer it would've been the same except the sentence about story would be replaced by "zomg I like Avellone cock" no matter how retarded the story is (see AP) and guarded by dozens of fanboi ready to tear you apart.

Last time I checked, AP was almost universally hated here. Best case scenario is that a small group finds it tolerable because of the superficial C&C and the Avellone Factor™. FFS, even Dragon Age is more well-liked here than AP.

If you're going to strawman some vague group of fanboys, better do it on a forum that doesn't agree that the only good things Obsidian ever released were MotB and one character from KotOR2.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Haha, pure gold from "Bill Hess":

Fallout 3 and the VATS system made me thoroughly enjoy the game. Fallout 3 was a pretty original game as well.

While defending his faux review.

Oh even better, he got a sock-puppet now:

2) Just because the people who wrote Fallout 1 and 2′s story did this game’s storyline and helped develop it doesn’t automatically make it better. It all comes down to preference. He liked Fallout 3′s story better. Get over it. For the record, I also like Fallout 3′s story quite a bit. How can you argue with Liam Neeson’s VA?

I guess if Liam Neeson or Patrick Stewart would read My Immortal, it would magically transform into a great story? :D

madbringer

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
I guess if Liam Neeson or Patrick Stewart would read My Immortal, it would magically transform into a great story? :D

I had a dream once, that Michael Bay directed Goodfellas.

This mental image is about ten times more sickening. :salute:

Micmu

Magister
I hope this POS gets ripped to shreds by xboy "reviewers", I really do, even if unjustified.
Will be fun to watch OB fanboys whine here :lol:

Eyeball

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
Fallout 3's story was good for what it was. There, I said it.
I think the story itself was alright, it was the individual dialogues which were terribly written.

The storyline was essential "war for water", which is just about the oldest and most western storyline around. In post-apocalyptic America, of course pure water would be incredibly valueable and a source of conflict.

I gotta admit that I liked the incredibly stupid Liberty Prime sequence too - his oneliners were lovely.

Project: Eternity
Eyeball said:
Freelance Henchman said:
Fallout 3's story was good for what it was. There, I said it.
I think the story itself was alright, it was the individual dialogues which were terribly written.

The storyline was essential "war for water", which is just about the oldest and most western storyline around. In post-apocalyptic America, of course pure water would be incredibly valueable and a source of conflict.

I gotta admit that I liked the incredibly stupid Liberty Prime sequence too - his oneliners were lovely.

I just wanted to make the "good for what it is" joke, but I still agree with you. The "base" storyline was acceptable as such, but Bethesda apparently has not a single competent writer who can write non-retarded dialog and likeable, believable characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom