Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Arcanum playthrough... disappointed :shrug:

Eyeball

Arcane
Excidium said:
Yeah, and you run out of bullets in 5 seconds.
Again with this criticism. Am I really the only one who figured out how to craft shitloads of bullets during my very first run of the game, the ingredients for which either being dirt-cheap or readily found in city trash cans?

I had hundreds of the things lying around by mid-game and never really thought I was in dire danger of running out.

crazy_dave

Educated
While Arcanum certainly had its flaws, go play Ass Effect retarded dumbfucks.

Codex 2011 - Arcanum is shit
Codex 2013 - Fallout 1 is shit

Codex 2050 - Mass Effect 10 - GOTY, Mass Effect 1 & 2 - True oldskul classics :roll:

ZbojLamignat

Educated
crazy_dave said:

Codex 2050 - Mass Effect 10 - GOTY, Mass Effect 1 & 2 - True oldskul classics :roll:
Oh, the drama.

"Fallout 2 is shit" stage has been reched much earlier by the way, which surely means that Arcanum is better than F2, hope that'll make you a bit more cheerful.

ZbojLamignat said:
I find it pretty funny how many people claim that disliking Arcanum means you're "teh new shit" dumb gaymer

I'm the new shit dumb gaymer though. My first RPG was Bloodlines (unless you want to count stuff like Diablo 2 or Final Fantasy as RPGs, I don't), that was in 2005. I've been playing RPGs for six years now! And I only played Fallout 1/2 couple months before Fallout 3 came out. Didn't have any problems loving them right away though, something that I find really hard to achieve with Arcanum.

Clockwork Knight said:
Couldn't you just press random keys in combat for 30 seconds until you find them, now that you know they exist?

Of course I could. I just thought it was more efficient to find out the exact buttons here, especially since I don't have the game installed now. Will you forgive me?

crazy_dave said:

Fallacy-powered butthurt is the best butthurt. Speaking of ME and butthurt:

mordin___ointment_delivery_by_chisa_sama-d33nb9o.jpg

Angthoron

Arcane
My biggest problem with Arcanum and that eventually made me stop playing it was the lack of romance. Raven was such a tease but nothing ever seemed to happen and also that other elf chick was all like "Ooh I'm so naughty" but then it was like emo chick getting a second opinion and being like no no I only shake my ass on webcam.

And then I played a female character and couldn't romance Virgil. Seriously what the fuck, the guy is so sweet and would want to serve my girl's every wish I mean really. Wouldn't he want to bone his goddess? Or maybe it's because his dick would go limp cause it's so way over his head.

So yeah, if someone could restore the obviosuly cut content and re-add romanceable NPCs the game could be real cool. It's pretty obvious that it was removed by some sort of censorship.

Angthoron

Arcane
Ed123 said:
Angthoron said:
My biggest problem with Arcanum and that eventually made me stop playing it was the lack of romance. Raven was such a tease but nothing ever seemed to happen and also that other elf chick was all like "Ooh I'm so naughty" but then it was like emo chick getting a second opinion and being like no no I only shake my ass on webcam.

And then I played a female character and couldn't romance Virgil. Seriously what the fuck, the guy is so sweet and would want to serve my girl's every wish I mean really. Wouldn't he want to bone his goddess? Or maybe it's because his dick would go limp cause it's so way over his head.

So yeah, if someone could restore the obviosuly cut content and re-add romanceable NPCs the game could be real cool. It's pretty obvious that it was removed by some sort of censorship.

Didn't Raven bang you, like, literally just before entering the final portal? I found that hilarious at the time.

You mean she bangs my character after I quit? :rage:

Seriously though, I guess this is where BioWare got the influence for "Sex before the final battle" idea.

Topher

Cipher
ZbojLamignat said:
I find it pretty funny how many people claim that disliking Arcanum means you're "teh new shit" dumb gaymer and what not when pretty often it's the exact opposite. Because if you played Arcanum when it got released (and not a couple years later because "omg it's the trueiest crpg and lot's of c&c made by cult Troika") you sure as hell found a lot of good reasons to bitch about it :M

I played it at release, had the best pre-release website I've ever seen... it's got flaws to be sure but they didn't ruin the game for me by any means.

Angthoron

Arcane
It was actually pretty cool at release, though I have to say that the graphics were strong with the WTF even then. Bought it at launch day and played the hell out of it though, but never quite finished it. Maybe I should finally do it.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I remember a review in a Romanian magazine of the game when it came out. It got a good score, so people must have liked it despite the bugs.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
It's not only the copious bugs. The game run like shit on many then-modern PCs (maps, Tarant etc.) and if you had an older machine it was raaaaaaage all the way. Coupled with the way it looked... yeah, you get the picture. I remember that I wanted to give it another chance a few years ago on a pretty good laptop with resolution patch and the framerate it gave me was unplayable :lol: It has to have one of the shittest engines ever.

And I cannot look past the broken mechanics and combat, sorry.

It's still worth a single playthrough if one has the time though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's a problem when a game that used to be praised and lavished six, seven, eight years ago is now considered bad.

And it's not a problem with the game. You. You are the problem.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah 10 years ago, I played Arcanum, it was awesome, but now looking back I realised how much it sucked.

Arcanum didn't changed.

I did.

I remember back when I modified the weapons to try to fix the combat. Then I stop and stare at the hex editor.

I came to the same conclusion Drog did. I realised mods can't fix shit.

... to be continued

Topher

Cipher
Jasede said:
There's a problem when a game that used to be praised and lavished six, seven, eight years ago is now considered bad.

Come back and say that in eight years. Possible future :incline:?

visions

Arcane
Topher said:
I played it at release, had the best pre-release website I've ever seen... it

Is that the same one that's mirrored over at Terra Arcanum?

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/sierra/

Yeah, that's a pretty awesome site, lore-wise.

Also, many (if not most) of the reviews from when it came out seem to be positive (although perhaps not overwhelmingly so, but solid scores around 80/100).

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
You have successfully added crazy_dave to your ignore list.

Return to the post

ZbojLamignat said:
I find it pretty funny how many people claim that disliking Arcanum means you're "teh new shit" dumb gaymer and what not when pretty often it's the exact opposite. Because if you played Arcanum when it got released (and not a couple years later because "omg it's the trueiest crpg and lot's of c&c made by cult Troika") you sure as hell found a lot of good reasons to bitch about it :M
This. Personally, I have quickly got bored with it - mainly due to starting out as even worse complete zero than in most of other from zero to hero games. At least AD&D games didn't mock the player by making his character several levels weaker than an average person met on the street.
I started playing it again after finding a character editor on a gaming magazine cover CD. I played until the Quintarra then I got bored again and quit playing it.
I enjoyed the dialogues and quests when playing it but sometimes I have felt that they lack some options (for example of asking certain questions) and some felt unfinished.

The worst thing is that I have never saw one big city and I have already seen Tarant too much times. I remember that one time I have tried to find a way to the other side of the mountains and it was impossible - it reminds me being unable to enter Baldur's Gate in BG1.

To me, there was never a really good successor of Fallout1/2 when it comes to gameplay.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Arcanum isn't bad but there are much better RPGs out there. It's a bit overrated here in the codex.

Eyeball said:
Excidium said:
Yeah, and you run out of bullets in 5 seconds.
Again with this criticism. Am I really the only one who figured out how to craft shitloads of bullets during my very first run of the game, the ingredients for which either being dirt-cheap or readily found in city trash cans?

I had hundreds of the things lying around by mid-game and never really thought I was in dire danger of running out.
Yes, you buy that recipe in the Tarant gun shop I think. I had it, and used the ogre dude to carry the ingredients for me, but I still wasted bullets a bit too fast if I played in real time. I like playing on real time as a mage though. Just watching the summoned demon rape everything.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Jasede said:

NO U

Arcanum consists of massive LARPing, dumb combat, party of retards you can't control and PHAT LOOT.

There's little diference beetwen this and DA2.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The best things about Arcanum are the chargen and the manual. The actual game isn't great - I've had a boxed copy since the game was new and have never managed to get further than Tarant before succumbing to ultimate boredom.

I still like looking at the manual, though and keep it installed on my computer, so maybe someday...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Jasede said:
There's a problem when a game that used to be praised and lavished six, seven, eight years ago
Was it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom