Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM Firaxis - XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within Expansion

Gondolin

Arcane
Gollop said:
Yeah, of course. Mainly in the realm of accessibility, which some people might call 'dumbing down' In the early 90s of course you didn't have in-game tutorials or help, because it was all in the big thick manual. Today people do not read manuals, they expect the game to teach them how to play it. Which is fair enough.

I don't remember reading any X-Com manual back then.

Cassidy

Arcane
Gollop said:
Yeah, of course. Mainly in the realm of accessibility, which some people might call 'dumbing down' In the early 90s of course you didn't have in-game tutorials or help, because it was all in the big thick manual. Today people do not read manuals, they expect the game to teach them how to play it. Which is fair enough.

Idiots didn't know even how turn on a PC back then. Nowadays we have constant demonstrations of the worst forms of human cretinism in Twitter, Bioware Social Forums and many other online places.

Achilles

Arcane
Julian Gollop said:
I don't see there's been enough development on the AI side, and in the actual interactive environment side, which is a shame.

Ain't that the fucking truth.

Black

Arcane
Gollop said:

Feh, pressing buttons and seeing what awesome stuff happens is the best way to learn.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's a hologram, like "Father" from Equilibrium. The real Sid Meier died years ago.

Drakron

Arcane
He's a hologram, like "Father" from Equilibrium. The real Sid Meier died years ago.

No,we dont have the technology for that yet, its actually CG ... look at how far away he is from the interviewer so you dont notice.

Norfleet

I predict that this will turn out to be very much like a jet engine: It'll suck and blow.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sid Meier: "In our dreams we pull in strategy game players, we pull in action players, we pull in RPG players."

This is going to end well.

spectre

Arcane
The good stuff I see:
(o) Gameplay based on flanking and supression - too early to judge that, but if it's true, this changes the gameplay significantly, for the better, imo, unless they fuck it up with cover being much too resilent etc. etc.
(o) LoS and fog of war rules seems to be implemented. Hey, after the recent JA, it's not a given anymore.
(o) Perk based char development - ideally, I'd like to keep the learning by doing system in place as well, but at least it should take away the grind exploits.
(o) Most soldiers on screenies have max HP<20, which is promising when it comes to lethality. A lot depends on the efficiency of cover and actual weapon damage, though.
(o) Thin men actually look like a good adition to the unit mix IMO.
(o) Environments look destructible, question is, are they destructive enough?

Shit I'm indifferent about:
(o) Discarding ammo mags - they will be missed, yeah, fuck you firaxis, supply and logistics actually IS a biggie in the strategy game genre.
Although, I have to concede that should mostly matter for grenades and explosives.
(o) No more TUs. to be fair, not a lot was lost, gameplay wise. Firing costs in the original were % values, so the TU's mostly mattered for movement range and kneeling.
I suspect they'll recover most of the tactical depth through perks, though kneeling seems to be gone for good, as soldiers will hug cover automatically, from what I gather.
(o) Only one Xcom base - ok, what the fuck had just happened here?
(o) Mutons Where do I start, first of all, they seem like a cross-breeed between wargoths from Aftershock and protos. Also, I grow tired with the "warlike, tribal footsoldiers trope". Seriously, if they also happen to be highly spiritual to boot, I'm going to puke on somebody's face.
Still, nothing fundamentally bad here, they just rub me the wrong way.

The alarming shit:
Yeah, looking at the available screenies and info I only have one big gripe about this new Xcom: the number of units. I know the ADD kids today cannot into controlling more than 12 unitsat a time, but if it only has, like, 6 soldiers per mission, it'll be a dissapointment.
First of all, if there's only a handful of soldiers per mission, I think it's safe to assume that we cannot expect the casualty rate of the originals.

The part where I do wishful thinking:
No screenies from air combat, from what I saw. Hopefully it didn't got axed entirely.
Civ 4 was very moddable. Civ 5 may have been moddable if it wasn't shit and nobody was interested.
Here's hoping Firaxis learnt from the mistake that was Civ 5 and Xcom will be more like the former. Still, it most likely just runs on a heavily modified Civ engine, so the possibility is there.
Also, the obligatory: mods'll fix it, rite??!

But, I should know better, Civ 5 also looked good on the previews but turned out shite.

spectre

Arcane
I stand corrected. Still, UE3 should be quite accessible to modders. Here's hoping they don't forget to support the community this time.

Discarding ammo mags - they will be missed, yeah, fuck you firaxis, supply and logistics actually IS a biggie in the strategy game genre.
Although, I have to concede that should mostly matter for grenades and explosives.

Explosives are unlimited? Well, time to give everyone rocket launchers and activate easy mode.

I stand corrected. Still, UE3 should be quite accessible to modders. Here's hoping they don't forget to support the community this time.

There's hundred of games based on the UE3 engine and the only one I know of that actually has a supported modding community (meaning players don't have to reverse engineer everything on their own) is UE3 itself. I've heard that Epic has some kind of contractual restrictions on modding in licensed games that prevent modding tools from being supplied or something.

Forgotten Friend

Educated
In most engines you don't get to redistribute modding tools. Also some companies are just assholes and hate modders, for no reason that makes any sense. Fuck you for making us look bad! Or something.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
In the world of XCOM Enemy Unknown, players will need much more than brute strength and Rambo tactics.
You don't seem to want to accept the fact you're dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who's the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke. In Vietnam his job was to dispose of enemy personnel. To kill! Period! Win by attrition. Well Rambo was the best.

spectre

Arcane
Damn, I'm fucking retarded on the topic of engines today.

Well, time to give everyone rocket launchers and activate easy mode.
That was my first thought, but then I thought: what about grenades? Wouldn't make a shred of sense for them to be unlimited. Which has lead me to a conclusion that they'll probably limit th use of HE somehow.
Unless they don't. Which is retarded. Or they ditch grenades altogether, which is sad news AND retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom