Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Finished KOTOR

protobob

Liturgist
Better than NWN. Not that I got past the first half of the 2nd chapter of the OC in NWN (but I did do a good bit of editor/DM work with it, untill I could no longer stomach it, anway).

The combat is pretty much NWN, but the third person perspective and control scheme make it more enjoyable (atleast as far as realtime combat goes). Sadly, though, its all very easy and doesn't require much strategy or planning. I think my whole party got wiped out 2-3 times max, within a 37hr period.

The game system is a rather generic D20 setup. The classes are horribly boring. Skill heavy class, feat heavy class, mix-of-the-two class. Jedi's classes are similar: force heavy class, feat heavy class, skill heavy class. Nothing really to get excited about.

I really thought the skills were pretty boring in implementation. Computer Use lets you hack into computers and kill people remotely...boring. Repair skill lets you repair droids and program them to go on kill sprees...boring. Security skill lets you unlock doors/chests...Bash works just as well. Demolitions...lets you disarm/retrive mines, place them. Not worth the effort, considering the mines do so little damage.

I guess you could play the game using stealth, laying mines as traps, etc, but it just seems like it would be horribly boring, considering how slowly the characters move while stealthed.

The dialogue was typical bioware. It does give you lots of options for being a mean bastard, though, which was enjoyable. You can do some really mean bastard things in the game.

I thought the level design was pretty, but boring. The main problem is the game takes place on about 6 or 7 different planets, and the gameplay areas on each planet are rather small and rigid. Feels like a themepark more than anything. Never got the sense that I was exploring or finding some remote, out of the way place. Hard to suspend disblief that you've found some remote, hidden temple when its a hop skip and jump away from civilization.

All that to say that I did enjoy it for the most part. It wasn't too tedious, and it was enjoyable being a complete dark side bastard. But 'the greatest game evar?' Forget about it.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Yeah i agree, at least its better than NWN (i thought it would be, but still... :) )

Now to actually play it on PC... gotta wait for a while longer. I suppose BIO still has some issues to work in terms of 3D design, and dialogues and quests are still fairly generic, it would seem.

Montez

Novice
Is it just Jedi Knight with an RPG system slapped on it? If that's so, how does it compare to that game? Better, worse? If it's just an improved NWN with Star Wars instead of D&D I'm gonna have to give it a pass, as much as I was looking forward to it.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
protobob said:
The dialogue was typical bioware. It does give you lots of options for being a mean bastard, though, which was enjoyable. You can do some really mean bastard things in the game.

Even so, when playing as a Dark Jedi, I felt like I was a Dark Jedi living in a Light Jedi world, so to speak. There's a part where your "crew" wonders whether or not it's safe to stay in your company due to a certain revelation revealed about your character (I don't want to spoil the epic plot). They then decide that they'll stick around after all, stating that you've never failed them and were a good friend. This is strange considering that at this point I was as Dark as a Jedi can go, and my party had
constantly scolded and criticized my actions throughout the game.

Another example, this one being spoiler-filled:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
After the Canderous (my personal favorite character) sidequest, where you're challenged to fight a bitter former-soldier under his command in the Mandalorian war, Canderous comments that I'm not like Darth Revan, that I've changed. Well, again, I'm as dark as you can get at this point -- how have I changed?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

protobob said:
I thought the level design was pretty, but boring. The main problem is the game takes place on about 6 or 7 different planets, and the gameplay areas on each planet are rather small and rigid. Feels like a themepark more than anything. Never got the sense that I was exploring or finding some remote, out of the way place. Hard to suspend disblief that you've found some remote, hidden temple when its a hop skip and jump away from civilization.

I very much agree with that. It felt strange having a Star Wars game be relatively small in scope. I also feel that the setting felt under-developed.

In the end, the third-rate story, aforementioned under-developed setting, and action-heavy gameplay lowered the game, moving it closer to the videogame equivalent of junk food (to me, anyway). For anyone who knows what Phantasy Star Online is, it has very much the same feel as that game, but with character interaction via (flawed) dialogue trees.

For all my criticisms, I've played through it twice. It's fun, but in the way that most stat-building action "RPGs" are.

protobob

Liturgist
'Junk Food' ... thats a good way to describe it. Enjoyable, but nothing substantial or meaningfull.

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
HK-47 IS THE BEST CHARACTER BY FAR, MEATBAG!
Really? I loved the final planet (not the station, mind you). I also enjoyed Tattooine, and Kashyyk. The unkown one was really quite imaginative.
I assume you did the good ending in that class,hence the response. I did a goody-goody character, so I would not know.
Actually, I think Pulp Fiction is a better description, but maybe because I like it more.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
Constipated Craprunner said:
HK-47 IS THE BEST CHARACTER BY FAR, MEATBAG!

Agreed. That robot is a real kick in the pants.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom