Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Final Total War: Rome 2 faction revealed - Pontus

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Total War: Rome II

800px-PonticRoyalCavalry.jpg

The ninth and final faction of Total War: Rome 2 has been revealed and it is a day-one free DLC. The faction in question is not, as many predicted, the Seleucids, but the Kingdom of Pontus.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
wow, they actually cut out the largest successor state from the game? how the fuck is that gonna work?

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
They're just not playable. They'll still be there, if their recent "No generic rebels" trend continues, which I believe they've confirmed.

Horrible choice regardless.

Dead Guy

Cipher
I don't know, man. Playing the Seleucids was interesting until the point when you were up to speed and could defend yourself. Then you were suddenly too large for anyone to touch and the first phase of the game that is usually the most interesting, when you've got between 2 and 5 provinces or so, wasn't even there. It's been too long since I played, maybe the AI was aggressive enough to keep you on the defense long enough to make it interesting.

Pontus seems like a better choice in that regard, but yeah, who the fuck is Pontus? I can't even remember what special units they had, I guess I wiped them out too early to find out when playing eastern factions, the only thing I remember of them are hordes of peasants with short spears and shields made of tied-together branches. And utterly retarded-looking hats? And maybe their generals threw spears at you? Armenia was much more fun, iirc.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Yes, Alexander's empire was very stagnant after his death. I've always respected Rome more because they built their empire on hard work, tough times, and slow perseverance, as opposed to the sheer genius and expansionism of one man (Alexander) within a matter of a few years.

They are gonna start shitting out DLC like crazy.

Seleucids, Bactrians, Scythians, the tribes of Iberia...Silver Shield Pikemen Multiplayer DLC unit, pay 10 dorra and never lose a melee battle again in your life.

oscar

Arcane
Everybody forget about Philip II :decline:

Yeah the guy was arguably better than Alexander in terms of doing more with less. He started with a bankrupted, poor, backwards, divided irrelevant 'kingdom' (Macedon) and turned it into a burgeoning ancient superpower and managed to do the seemingly impossible in uniting Greece. Ruthless but also extremely imaginative and ballsy (lacking the money to equip hoplites in any significant number he decided to do away with the expensive armour and shield and simply use pikes).

Anyway, Pontus is an interesting (and slightly bizarre) choice. Thankfully it's not something cheesy like Sparta but leaving out the Seleucid Empire is quite bizarre. Was looking forwards to seeing the Sarmatians as well.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
Phillip may have been the innovator who made it possible, but I doubt he was half, hell even a quarter the conqueror Megas Alexandros was...

Darius would have steamrolled his one eyed ass.

Alex on the other hand would have taken his horde straight to China if it weren't for those pesky foothills the Himalayas.

oscar

Arcane
Supposedly as a :keepmyjewgold:against second-hand sales/piracy (you need an activation code to unlock the DLC). I'm imagining that the factions will be a lot harder to unlock than the text file editing in Rome 1.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Which is why pirates and people who simply want to avoid DRM schemes like STEAM will wait a few months for the game and worthwhile DLC to come in a nice bundle...

titus

Arcane
Patron
Which is why pirates and people who simply want to avoid DRM schemes like STEAM will wait a few months for the game and worthwhile DLC to come in a nice bundle...

Steam games are cracked on day0 these days. Any other "more complex" DRM schemes are merely a challenge for cracking groups. In my opinion, it's not worth it to invest money in these things, if it's public, someone will crack it. Something like a serial or stuff like that would probably work best, if your product is interesting enough, people will buy it.

Of course, the best copy protection is the game's quality. If you want not to have a game pirated(not cracked!) make a shitty game.

More and more publishers embraced this paradigm in the last decade.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Phillip may have been the innovator who made it possible, but I doubt he was half, hell even a quarter the conqueror Megas Alexandros was...

Alex on the other hand would have taken his horde straight to China if it weren't for those pesky foothills the Himalayas.

This. Just because you're an innovator and a good crafter doesn't mean you know how to properly use use the tools you design. A gun designer isn't necessarily the greatest shooter of his own gun. That setup worked perfectly for Macedonia (I think it's obvious Alexander was behind Philips murder, the gain was clearly his).

Anyway yes, DLC DLC DLC for people screaming about their faction of choice missing.
It sucks yes, but that's the price of being eager to play an AAA game (although the Total War series is by far not the worst of the bunch overall).

Unwanted

Cursed Beaver

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
Maybe it doesn't have the same amount of starting land, but Pontus is pretty similar to Seleucids.

Both are Persians that try as hard as they can to look Greek.
Samey unit rooster and culture.

Unwanted

Cursed Beaver

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued

Alexander is overrated. When You look at what he did : he just defeated one crumbling, decadent, ultra divided multicultural failure of an Empire.
Looking at the different battles, the resistance the Persians opposed, compared to their Empire's sheer size, was pathetic. Not just the number, but the quality of the soldier, everything was laughable. A simple Briton Tribe could have conquered half their land.
And in fact, as soon as he started conquering much more organized and stable factions, even small ones, he faced much more difficulties. In the end, when he was about the get crushed by 2 actually powerful Indian empires, his soldiers forced him to retreat, seeing the folly of his plan to cross the Gange.

Alexander had a well organized army at his disposition. In fact, looking at his battles, his main strenght was much more the discipline, logistics and coordination of his army, than his sheer tactical skills.

Alexander is a bit like Napoleon. Bot were dealing in excessiveness, conquering way too much land that an Empire could digest. He is lucky to have died so early, because he would have had to witness the abrupt partition of his Empire : Satraps rebelling, Entire chunks and cities declaring independence, bankruptcy after these endless war, Enemies raiding/invading at the borders... He already had pushed his Old Kingdom to exhaustion, from which it it would never recover.

Alexander was a badass with an iron will. But he is in way as exceptional as some would imagine. What he did, wiser generals would have avoided to do, as it was all short term glory, and no positive outcome would come out of it in the long term.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom