Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy?

Ladonna

Arcane
Just wondering if any of you are G'd up on the Final Fantasy games.

Since the game front is still shit, and I have finished LCS on the PS2, I have been looking at the Jap things for a while now and thought 'fuck it'.

So, which ones are not too repetitive? Or boring? I can get 7 up to the new one. If anyone can give me a little advice, go for it.

Surgey

Scholar
7 is still my favorite of all-time. 8 is awful (even more cliche than 7, boring characters, and terrible combat/magic system. the environments are the best part), 9 is great, 10 is pretty good. 11 is an MMO, so eh. 12 is pretty great too, but I haven't finished it.

If you can, try to play FF6 before you play 7, otherwise it'll be hard to go back to it. But overall, I feel 7 is the best. The characters can be pretty cliche at times, but the ability customization makes up for it all. You can get some pretty good things going with the materia system.

FaranBrygo

Educated
Why the hell is this an RPG discussion? The Final Fantasy games are not RPGs.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
You should try out Final Fantasy Tactics. I didn't really like FF8 although the combat system had some potential. I don't like a lot of the later Final Fantasy games because the protagonist is some whimpy, angsty male teenager and you are stuck listening to his bullshit about the lifestream or ancients or genomes or friendship or saving the world or lost memories or mistaken identities or some other crap that is made up in the minds of adolescents who need pretend problems to have an excuse to act depressed or LARP. :|

MountainWest

Scholar
Sure they're not RPGs, but what is in this day and age? Titan Quest? Silverfall? Bioshock? Meh. I recommend 4-7 and maybe 10 just for it's intro tune. With 6 and 7 being the best.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yes, theya re role-playing games. Just a different style. Deal with that, SUCKAS!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Volourn said:
Yes, theya re role-playing games. Just a different style. Deal with that, SUCKAS!

Volourn speaketh the truth.
Let's sit down and honour this seldom occasion.

:honourblade:

Dire Roach

Prophet
For me, 6 has the best story and characters. 4 and 7 follow closely. Tactics (plain, not Advance) also gets a lot of praise, but I haven't been been able to play it much.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Tactics is without a doubt my favorite game with FF in the title. Frankly as far as turn-based strategy goes I like it more than X-Com.

FF6 is a great game. It has some balance issues (in the World of Balance use Gau) but it's interesting enough and on emulators you have a very important function: Fast Forward. (on the GBA version it's space bar, on SNES9x it is Tab, I think). That's one reason FF7 and 8 suck so much, it takes forever to plow through conversations and scripted scenes. FF9 isn't as bad about it. FF10 is a pretty stupid game, it's completely linear. The piano theme is good but the rest of the game is kinda dumb (I didn't finish it, I got to the part right after the blue mountain lion wannabes and you have to fight Neo Sephiroth or something who shoots missiles and I couldn't beat him. Since levelling-up is pretty gay I just quit playing and now my ps2 is broken so no more of that)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Depends on what you want.

Story?
Final Fantasy 4.
Characters?
Final Fantasy 4 & 9
Challenge?
Final Fantasy 3 & 4 [translated Japanese version, NOT US version]
Character development system?
Final Fantasy 5.

If you would really like me to, I can give you an opinion on /every/ game of the series, seeing as how I've played [almost] all to the finish. [I lack 10-2 and 12].

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ladonna said:
Just wondering if any of you are G'd up on the Final Fantasy games.

Since the game front is still shit, and I have finished LCS on the PS2, I have been looking at the Jap things for a while now and thought 'fuck it'.

So, which ones are not too repetitive? Or boring? I can get 7 up to the new one. If anyone can give me a little advice, go for it.
HAWT, isn't he? FF12 FTW!

vaan.jpg

Fez

Erudite
I think that wallpaper is even gayer than man on man anal sex.

Fez

Erudite
I'm guessing that they are all guys too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom