Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I understand how it's going, but still we have many level and forms of distancing from reality. I think Square want to make a departure from anime and gobble a bigger part of the cake with (apparent) realism, because for core American players a game MUST be "real" (only "real" games they could take seriously). It's not real realism nor seriousness, but the market probably works that way.
I really don't have that fear. Or at least not seeing the big indicator others are seeing (Though at this point I'm repeating myself a lot).

FF7 Remake series is selling buckets and is plenty anime.
FF XVI, ignoring all the GoT talk, features a *realistic* european influenced medieval setting simply because that's what the devs have done in the past.
Forspoken was a giant failure and got its studio shut down.

Don't get me wrong here I can see the push for more appeal into the global market, but that isn't going to mean that every game from now on is going to be XVI and Kitase is still the brand manager as well. CBU3 again also has said they aren't going to do the next one.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I understand how it's going, but still we have many level and forms of distancing from reality. I think Square want to make a departure from anime and gobble a bigger part of the cake with (apparent) realism, because for core American players a game MUST be "real" (only "real" games they could take seriously). It's not real realism nor seriousness, but the market probably works that way.
I really don't have that fear. Or at least not seeing the big indicator others are seeing (Though at this point I'm repeating myself a lot).

FF7 Remake series is selling buckets and is plenty anime.
FF XVI, ignoring all the GoT talk, features a *realistic* european influenced medieval setting simply because that's what the devs have done in the past.
Forspoken was a giant failure and got its studio shut down.

Don't get me wrong here I can see the push for more appeal into the global market, but that isn't going to mean that every game from now on is going to be XVI and Kitase is still the brand manager as well. CBU3 again also has said they aren't going to do the next one.
Will see. Developing process is long and in corporations different cells can work without communication between. There is also a long way from programmers to CEO. Big companies move slowly.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I would prefer this game to perform better, but if the game is great that can be forgiven.

I remember the atrocious PS3 Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen performance but the blast was playing it anyway. Of course playing it on PC with better graphics performance was much better, but don´t regret playing it before.

Or even the bugged Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition in PC even with Durante patch was one of my best gaming experiences ever. Greatness doesn't care about imperfections.

Of course if the game is sub par and uninspired we can start the Inquisition.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Kotaku, every time

FSwpISu.png

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Reviews are surprisingly good given that the developer did not conspicuously include American's preferred ethnic minorities.

Maybe I can find £70 for it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Reading the reviews now and as for muh diversiteh - I thought the setting is wholly medieval Yuro, in which case it should be populated exclusively by caucasians, obviously.

But it seems the world contains places with distinctly Middle-Eastern or Norther African architecture and vibe that are still full of eebul crackers?

Don't know about ya'll but a town looking like present day Istanbul populated by blue-eyed blonds feels about as real and immersive as female knights and black medieval aristocrats.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Imagine wanting to play a game in a setting consisting in modern San Francisco, but with people with wigs, cosplay costumes and different buildings, and a unfriendly masculine black womin as protagonist. Basically 95% of new games presented this Summer.

I hope this game sells like hotcakes. This is the last stand of Good, Beautiful and True in AAA gaming (along DD2 and Armored Core) against the hordes of Clown World.

Gerrard

Arcane
I'm watching the game, gameplay is 100% unadulterated popamole, the summon fights are a joke.

---

Arcane
Meh, FFs have been popamole since at least FF7, and maybe even 6. The last chapter which posed a legit challenge was FF5 (the Gameboy port too).

If you play FF games for the sake of the challenge, try something else.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
From the little I've seen of the story, the tone and setting seems very much LUCT or FFT ( but with less flowery dialogue and an ocasional "shit" or "fuck" thrown in), it's clearly a very Japanese take on European Feudalism

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
It's been fun bros. :salute: Starting soon with the game.

At this point I think I've a very good idea of what I'm going to like and what I'm going to dislike about the game. If it gets the positive right it has good chances to score relatively highly with me. But at the end of the day it would just be nice to play a fun, polished Final Fantasy again.

Been a while.....

Anyway, have a nice day or evening and if you're playing have fun. :hug:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
It's been fun bros. :salute: Starting soon with the game.

At this point I think I've a very good idea of what I'm going to like and what I'm going to dislike about the game. If it gets the positive right it has good chances to score relatively highly with me. But at the end of the day it would just be nice to play a fun, polished Final Fantasy again.

Been a while.....

Anyway, have a nice day or evening and if you're playing have fun. :hug:

So, how combat system?

beardalaxy

Novice
As someone who hasn't played a Final Fantasy game since 13 (which turned me off of JRPGs quite a lot and I'm still trying to get back into them), this game actually really intrigues me. It probably isn't going to appeal to many fans of the classic Final Fantasy games because it isn't turn-based, which is pretty unfortunate actually. I'm sorry that the ATB/turn-based style gameplay has been sequestered to ports and mobile releases.

I am a huge fan of the combat that's on display though, and I'm looking forward to playing it when it releases on PC, which I'm assuming will be next year at some point. FF15 and stuff like Type 0 always interested me but the combat seemed a little stiff. FF16 looks very smooth and really fun to play.

With this game and Starfield, the new gen consoles are already becoming technologically underpowered.
I think developers are trying to push graphic fidelity way too far for the tech we currently have. It also seems weird to say, but the current gen (no longer new gen) consoles are actually 2 and a half years old at this point. With how fast technology moves, it is no surprise that they are already being left in the dust, and that's why the previous generation of consoles actually had those mid-gen upgrades. What developers want to do with their games far exceeds the capabilities of consoles and even most PC hardware at the moment. Hardware isn't moving fast enough, and even if it was, being able to buy all of the new hardware to play this stuff is insanely hard for a lot of people, let alone the console manufacturers that are trying to sell these consoles at a loss to begin with just so that people will buy into their ecosystem.

The current consoles feel a lot newer because it has been so hard to get them for a lot of people. To me, it feels like the PS5 is only about a year old because that's the first time I actually saw one in person.

I don't think anyone should be surprised that games are targeting 30 FPS now. The mid-gen transition period had a lot of games that were going up to 60 FPS because they weren't being developed with newer tech in mind. Expect to see 30 FPS on consoles from big titles from now on. Redfall probably should have been better, because I don't think the game justifies a 30 FPS cap. Stuff like Starfield being locked to 30 FPS that are pushing not only graphic fidelity but massive worlds with a lot of interlocking systems makes sense, though. The only times we saw 60 FPS on PS4 were on remasters/remakes and multiplayer FPS games like Call of Duty. Or, obviously things like indie games with a lower focus on realistic graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom