Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Fig - a new equity-based crowdfunding platform - shut down, RIP

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I still can't get over how stupid of a term "III" is.

Haha, I wonder if we can raise enough to get onto one of those investor tiers for a future Obsidian game (and what that would mean in practice). That would be amusing, if nothing else.
It would be hilarious if that game would be a million seller, and DU had all the profit money for codex servers and improvement.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Leaked business plan,

GHR7EfO.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haha, I wonder if we can raise enough to get onto one of those investor tiers for a future Obsidian game (and what that would mean in practice). That would be amusing, if nothing else.

Right now, we gather money from our users in fundraisers, and eventually give them game keys in exchange.

In the future, we may be able to do the same and in addition possibly give them their money back as well. It sounds "shady", but we're already giving people a worse deal right now. The worst thing that can happen is that nothing changes.

DarkUnderlord should totally inquire into this sometime. Investing in RPGs won't make anybody a millionaire but it could develop into a nice supplementary revenue stream. Eventually we might even be able pay people their investments back before a crowdfunded game is even out, using the dividends from previously released games.

Last edited:
In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Right now, we gather money from our users in our fundraisers, and eventually give them game keys in exchange.

In the future, we may be able to do the same and in addition possibly give them their money back as well. It sounds "shady", but we're already giving people a worse deal right now. The worst thing that can happen is that nothing changes.
I think the whole thing is a result of Inxile and Obsidian failing to please their core audiences. Apparently lots of people got less than expected and WL2 didn't become new Fallout and PoE didn't become new Baldur's Gate.

The shady part is that the investments may be needed because next Kickstarters wouldn't bring similar amounts of money as previous ones. Which doesn't exactly make it a good investment.

FrankHamilton

Educated
Question: Was anyone from the Codex really thinking about funding any of these studios again? Both Obsidian and Double Fine have sold out on their kickstarters (one more gracefully than the other), while Fargo is a bit too untrustworthy to pre-order anything sold by him.

Maybe this will end up being a better venue for small name indie studios, but I'm not really seeing it. Shaffer and Uruquart being the ones who decide what and when it gets kickstarted (or figged off I guess) does not give me much hope.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Question: Was anyone from the Codex really thinking about funding any of these studios again? Both Obsidian and Double Fine have sold out on their kickstarters (one more gracefully than the other), while Fargo is a bit too untrustworthy to pre-order anything sold by him.

Maybe this will end up being a better venue for small name indie studios, but I'm not really seeing it. Shaffer and Uruquart being the ones who decide what and when it gets kickstarted (or figged off I guess) does not give me much hope.

Attrition + the lesser of evils.

If for example inXile and/or Obsidian get enough revenue to make a FO:NV style game, then that would ease some of the congestion in AA development.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Question: Was anyone from the Codex really thinking about funding any of these studios again?
Absolutely. I love Wasteland 2, Torment is shaping up so far, and I even got my money's worth out of Pillars of Eternity. Double Fine will have to sell a little harder on their next pitch, but again, I am OK with what I got for the few dollars I pledged for both Broken Age and Massive Chalice. I'm not one of these weirdos who pledges $200 on one game and expects the second coming. I see no reason not to back more RPGs from these guys, no matter what silly website they want me to pay through, as long as they continue pitching ideas I'm interested in.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Arguments in this thread are so stupid you all made me brofist J_C. I hope you're proud of yourselves.

Gondolin

Arcane

<Feargus sits his plump ass down> Good day, everybody. The investors' meeting is now in session.
<Voice from the back of the room> You suck! Your game is popamole shit!
<Feargus> I... uh... see that the Codex has sent its representative.
<Voice from the back of the room> Fire Sawyer! Bring back MCA!
<Feargus in despair> Why am I doing this to myself?

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
Heh, at this point the inital figstarter campaign has pretty much failed. Their total actually went down over night, because the guy who pledged 5K was trolling. Even if we assume the 10K pledge isn't a troll, they've still earned less than tragic kickstarter failures like Mooncrest.

Actually, they're a lot like Mooncrest in that they decided to base their campaign around hi-larious skits rather than actual information about the game. Bonus points for awkward, stilted Tim Schafer appearances:

Note to game devs: You aren't funny, you can't act, stop trying. Just sit in front of a camera and talk about your fucking game, it's all people care about.

Who knew winning the IGF wasn't a selling point? It's almost like the prize is entirely based around your ability to give Brandon Boyer blowjobs rather than the quality of your game.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I can already see it coming. People are going to support this and defend it online claiming that all this thing does is bring more justice to the backer and free money. It's true. In theory.

Except human nature.

In practice , this thing is absolutely opposite to what Kickstarter is about : making sure that games that apparently shouldn't make a profit still happen.
Fig , however , is about finding which games will have the better ROI.

Those are mostly two different types of games. The fucking Google Play store is full of games that would have done great on Fig.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Probably already been brought up but "You need to pledge at least 20USD to participate in the discussion"

How to piss off people.
"Please support our shitty new crowdsourcing platform."
Fees: Looking at half-assed adventure fail: free
posting 20$
5 comments

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Question: Was anyone from the Codex really thinking about funding any of these studios again?
I bet my brofists that the Codex would be all over a new inXile or Obsidian kickstarter. Maybe a bit less enthusiast, but we would bring quite a lot of numbers.

MCA was honest enough to pull out of this and has now gained new respect from me
You know that he didn't pull out because of this, don't you? Stop making shit up people!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Stopped reading at Tim Schafer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom