Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline FEZ

Dr Tomo

Learned
Well, of course, Notch made millions. I don't think Phil made that much. Maybe he did... that would sort of sad.

esePVmi.jpg

Yea Phil didn't make a million but was close, Steam sales were garbage so he made most of it through consoles. Notch though has made millions and started 2 other projects which basically were failures as they were quickly forgotten.

Perhaps. Although Jonathan Blow (aptly named) made a ton off of that crappy game Braid (had the benefit of being the grandaddy of shitty pretentious platformers). So much that he's essentially a venture capitalist now who throws money at other indie projects and reaps their profits.

Well he sunk almost all of his monies into his PS 4 exclusive 2 deep 4u game that I am waiting to get word that it bombed and so he would have to rely on that angle investment money he has been handing out to all the inde dev's.

Perhaps. Although Jonathan Blow (aptly named) made a ton off of that crappy game Braid (had the benefit of being the grandaddy of shitty pretentious platformers). So much that he's essentially a venture capitalist now who throws money at other indie projects and reaps their profits.

In fairness, Braid had decent puzzle elements. In fact, if you view it as a puzzle game that's merely disguised as a platformer, it's a decent little indie.

The problem with Braid is that it was hailed as the 2nd coming of PS:T. It should have been taken as 'oh look, some guy made a cool little puzzle game that's actually worth wasting a couple of hours on, isn't it neat what one guy can do on his home PC with a little dedication', but instead it was hailed as one of the greatest games of all categories.

Southpark nailed this in the 'film festival comes to Southpark' episode - i.e. that these kind of indie projects are really neat and fun to do, and it's great that there's a forum where anybody can make a film/game and have it seen, but treating them as though they're some higher artform, while ignoring all their shortcomings, is fucking retarded. Moreover (and also from Southpark), it actually undermines the things that can make indie development great; suddenly it's about worshiping repetitive, unoriginal products because of the way in which they're branded, instead of just celebrating film-making/game-development and showing each other what they can do. Pretty soon the scene is dominated by people who neither understand nor care about film/gaming, and the people who just want to make what they want to make without fanfare are shut out.

buzz

Arcane
Ehh, the dev himself intended in this case to make a pretentious game. I mean, the game was technically finished in 2005 but then he spent 2/3 more years and around 200k dollars for polishing and hiring the art guy (this is how it looked at first). You gotta read the junk he writes about narrative and blablabla gameplay as artform for adults and blablabla. Just look him up, you'll see tons of examples.

But in general, I share your sentiment. If Jonathan Blow would've cut the whole subversive ending "oh I'm the villain what a tweest" and the whole pretentious text about the atomic bomb, most people would just remember it for being a pretty neat puzzle platformer with great art style. It's a genuinely decent game that was overshadowed by the pretentious attitude and the even more pretentious acclaim to it.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

Thanks. Gives some fun insight into the guy and the whole I hate Phil thing. Regarding his fun outbreak and his usual attitude; I worked in IT for awhile and 'characters' seem to be in abundance there. I can easily pick two or three former co-workers fly off the handle like that online if you'd pushed their right trigger. Must be how they're wired or something.

Anyway, I might as well give FEZ a try now that I'm wasting time with this shit.

EDIT: Nice gimmick. Kewl presentation. Loved how he introduced the gimmick.

Last edited:

No Great Name

Arcane
Braid is mixed. The puzzles were pretty good (and some were pretty difficult to figure out) but the plot is overrated in my opinion and probably could've been better without one and it should've just stuck to the puzzles. I never thought of the game as a platformer though.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ehh, the dev himself intended in this case to make a pretentious game. I mean, the game was technically finished in 2005 but then he spent 2/3 more years and around 200k dollars for polishing and hiring the art guy (this is how it looked at first). You gotta read the junk he writes about narrative and blablabla gameplay as artform for adults and blablabla. Just look him up, you'll see tons of examples.

But in general, I share your sentiment. If Jonathan Blow would've cut the whole subversive ending "oh I'm the villain what a tweest" and the whole pretentious text about the atomic bomb, most people would just remember it for being a pretty neat puzzle platformer with great art style. It's a genuinely decent game that was overshadowed by the pretentious attitude and the even more pretentious acclaim to it.
This is definitely true, but if you played the game without reading all that shit beforehand, it's a pretty fun little puzzle game. Just because the dev is a pretentious douchebag and fans of the game are moronic doesn't actually change the game itself and shouldn't change your enjoyment of it. I don't even remember the plot or the ending because I didn't really pay attention to it (because it's a fucking platformer for Christ's sake), just that I had fun with the gameplay.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Good thing I don't follow game hype or reviews or pretty m uch anything, I've always thought of Braid as a puzzle game and nothing more. It had a story?

EDIT: Yeah and I liked it too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom