Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus Urquhart talks about stuff at Rock Paper Shotgun

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They still need to approach Bethesda and do an Isometric turn-based Fallout with Bethesda so we can have our fucking Fallout series back. FFS Feargus. Get on it!

:x

Moribund

A droglike
Yeah I can't wait to here sawyer talk about cooldowns and why rtwp is better for the new fallout, and how big guns and melee will have the exact same DPS so things remain balanced, and outdoorsman skill will be just as useful as energy weapons skill.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That means it could be
Bethesda, Ubisoft, Warner Bros., and LucasArts
South Park ended up with Ubi after THQ kicked the bucket. I agree with Infinitron here: Warner Bros. is the only odd one out in that list, which makes an Obsidian Batman game a real possibility.

Actually, since the game had apparently already been signed when that Kotaku article was published, it could be neither of those four. After all, there's no reason for Feargus to say they've been talking to Warner Bros about making a new game, when they are in fact already making the new game for them.

It is ambiguous, though.
Have you considered that he might have been intentionally ambiguous? He couldn't just come out and flat out say "We're making the next Batman game. It's going to be an open world RPG." Maybe he noticed how the Codex stole Fargo's thunder by revealing that InXile is making an new Torment game before he could make the announcement himself and be hailed as the second coming of the RPG messiah. Maybe he's playing this close to the vest in order to have more control over the announcement, and be make a big deal out of it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/15/obsidians-urquhart-on-the-future-of-rpgs/#comment-1200364

Speculation engine revving up…. C2B at the Penny Arcade forums mentions that an Obsidian artist on Twitter had been asking questions about documention on the Unreal 3 engine. They have positions open for a 3d artist and environment, with “*highly realistic* ingame-results”.

(That C2B guy often shows up on Formspring, asking Josh Sawyer questions, btw)

No the Ubisoft game is South Park.

Reading comprehension newfag retards dex.
Jaesun, the Kotaku article was published before THQ's properties were auctioned off. Nobody knew South Park would go to Ubisoft back then.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ubisoft funding a Might And Magic would be yet another shitty console action game though. ugh.

Moribund

A droglike
Might & Magic 10: Torment?

Which would be cool if it were a blobber. I'd think they'd not mind doing a blobber so long as the monstarz were detailed and up close but no they have to show the faggy protagonist and have 10-20 hours of voice acted lines for his sorry ass.

Dorateen

Arcane
Probably. But there was an interview some weeks back, maybe the article about Obsidian projects that never took off, where one of the developers talked about doing a MM game. If it was going to be X, then it would have to be in the style of the first person crawlers rather than Dark Messiah.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Jaesun, the Kotaku article was published before THQ's properties were auctioned off. Nobody knew South Park would go to Ubisoft back then.
Yes, but Ubisoft knew Obsidian is the developer for South Park. Would they give them a new project knowing they'd end up working with them if they got South Park?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, but Ubisoft knew Obsidian is the developer for South Park. Would they give them a new project knowing they'd end up working with them if they got South Park?

If SP is almost a done deal anyway - then yeah, why not? It's not like there's a one game limit or something.

skuphundaku

Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

If SP is almost a done deal anyway - then yeah, why not? It's not like there's a one game limit or something.
True, but there's nothing to corroborate the Ubi hypothesis, while, on the other hand, the WB hypothesis is supported by the fact that we already know for sure that Rocksteady are not developing the next Batman, that the last Batman was open world and that Feargus kept talking about how cool open world games were and about Batman, without having been asked about either. Short Feargus of flat out saying "we're going to develop the next Batman", that seems pretty compelling evidence. The Walking Dead angle is just a red herring thrown, most likely unintentionally, by that Nathan Grayson moron. That fucker singlehandedly declined (and is declining) RPS beyond any recognition.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
That fucker singlehandedly declined (and is declining) RPS beyond any recognition.

Damn straight. All the incredibly stupid stuff I've read lately has been by that guy and not by John Walker, as it's been usually the case. Although maybe that was my immune system making me not click John Walker articles at all.

skuphundaku

Patron
That fucker singlehandedly declined (and is declining) RPS beyond any recognition.

Damn straight. All the incredibly stupid stuff I've read lately has been by that guy and not by John Walker, as it's been usually the case. Although maybe that was my immune system making me not click John Walker articles at all.
I may not agree with everything Walker writes, but that's normal. This Grayson fucker, on the other hand, is a complete imbecile. I suppose the RPS crew thought "let's bring a Kwan in order to draw in the Kwan audience". Big mistake! This guy seems like the lowest order of Huffington Post-type of bottom feeder. He makes the typically lefty and nanny-statist Brits seem like Grand Wizards of the KKK.

Dexter

Arcane
True, but there's nothing to corroborate the Ubi hypothesis, while, on the other hand, the WB hypothesis is supported by the fact that we already know for sure that Rocksteady are not developing the next Batman, that the last Batman was open world and that Feargus kept talking about how cool open world games were and about Batman, without having been asked about either. Short Feargus of flat out saying "we're going to develop the next Batman", that seems pretty compelling evidence. The Walking Dead angle is just a red herring thrown, most likely unintentionally, by that Nathan Grayson moron. That fucker singlehandedly declined (and is declining) RPS beyond any recognition.
I agree with that, Walker is still at it though, one of his latest masterpieces: http://botherer.org/2013/02/15/male-rights-advocates-and-their-attempt-to-silence-discussion/

I can't believe these fuckers are arguing that "The Walking Dead" is an RPG... ffs

I guess I find a combat and mechanic heavy RPG with a thin story that somehow people call EPIC is a failure for me. That includes many sacred untouchable cornerstones of RPG history. That genre of video game is a funhouse mockery (or a perfect depiction of a shitty version executed by an inept DM) of its tabletop roots.
It always felt to me that some basement-dwelling number-crunching min-maxing grognards made some “RPGs” for computers in the 80s that were all about numbers and winning and a box of text to tell you what was happening. Then everyone ran with that as though it were a good thing, but I’ve always disliked the tabletop version of that kind of gameplay and am happy to see a beacon of hope in a game like The Walking Dead.
The Walking Dead is a decent (if somewhat linear) translation of my favorite tabletop roleplaying experiences. Simple, quickly resolved combat to resolve conflict and lots of conversation and storytelling. The best D&D or Call of Cthulhu sessions I’ve experienced in a tabletop setting were like that. Always better than people hunched over a tactical map with rulebooks piled high.
So for me, The Walking Dead is an RPG or what I want them to be going forward. Fuck, make me a version of BG2 that functions mechanically like The Walking Dead and I would replay it over and over. Can you imagine the immersion and the branching possibilities for how the story would resolve?

Snerf

Learned
I may not agree with everything Walker writes, but that's normal. This Grayson fucker, on the other hand, is a complete imbecile. I suppose the RPS crew thought "let's bring a Kwan in order to draw in the Kwan audience". Big mistake! This guy seems like the lowest order of Huffington Post-type of bottom feeder. He makes the typically lefty and nanny-statist Brits seem like Grand Wizards of the KKK.

As a proud nanny-state loving lefty I'm very curious what he's written to elicit that kind of response. I find his writing style pretty annoying, but most these things I can recall him saying have been generally fine (Liking FO:NV). Can you clue me in?

skuphundaku

Patron
I guess I find a combat and mechanic heavy RPG with a thin story that somehow people call EPIC is a failure for me. That includes many sacred untouchable cornerstones of RPG history. That genre of video game is a funhouse mockery (or a perfect depiction of a shitty version executed by an inept DM) of its tabletop roots.
It always felt to me that some basement-dwelling number-crunching min-maxing grognards made some “RPGs” for computers in the 80s that were all about numbers and winning and a box of text to tell you what was happening. Then everyone ran with that as though it were a good thing, but I’ve always disliked the tabletop version of that kind of gameplay and am happy to see a beacon of hope in a game like The Walking Dead.
The Walking Dead is a decent (if somewhat linear) translation of my favorite tabletop roleplaying experiences. Simple, quickly resolved combat to resolve conflict and lots of conversation and storytelling. The best D&D or Call of Cthulhu sessions I’ve experienced in a tabletop setting were like that. Always better than people hunched over a tactical map with rulebooks piled high.
So for me, The Walking Dead is an RPG or what I want them to be going forward. Fuck, make me a version of BG2 that functions mechanically like The Walking Dead and I would replay it over and over. Can you imagine the immersion and the branching possibilities for how the story would resolve?
I knew that he was a massive lefty and a massive white knighting enthusiast (the white knighting pretty much alone condemning him to me considering him a massive dumbass), but this "Walking Dead is a RPG" shit is almost funny in its retardedness.

Shadenuat

Arcane

Dexter

Arcane
I knew that he was a massive lefty and a massive white knighting enthusiast (the white knighting pretty much alone condemning him to me considering him a massive dumbass), but this "Walking Dead is a RPG" shit is almost funny in its retardedness.
That's not from him (Nathan) though, I dared suggest in the comments that he has no idea what an RPG (going on and on with the leading questions regarding Obsidian making more games like "The Walking Dead") is and that is one of several butthurt commenters suggesting that I have a "narrow definition" and basically everything is an "RPG" or something.

I agree with that, Walker is still at it though, one of his latest masterpieces: http://botherer.org/2013/02/15/male-rights-advocates-and-their-attempt-to-silence-discussion/
The fuck this crap even have to do with... goddamn... GAMES?!
:rage:
I'd be a moderator of RPS I'd give him a year ban for offtopic on major (article) scale.

Edit. Oh wait it's other resource... well I'll still ban him on a charge of being a dumbfuck.

Walker got into a pissing match with some people on this here newest article of his (all the red comments are from him): http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...horsey-mmo-for-ladygirls-only/#comment-page-3 and he couldn't come to terms with them politely challenging his world-view, it took to his Twatter afterwards, where he "apologized" to others for the horrible horrible people taking to the comments and disagreeing with the party line and shit and I guess he still had enough rage in him to write that afterwards.

Moribund

A droglike
For that matter what does it have to do with might and magic?

Though it is rage inducing. As if guys don't hear a ration of shit from women at home every single day about shit they have no control of. Hey women, GROW UP AND SHUT UP. My two sinmple suggestions to make both you and men happy (and the feminists are just ones who can't get men of their own to complain to so have to complain to ALL men).

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane

I can't believe these fuckers are arguing that "The Walking Dead" is an RPG... ffs

I've suddenly got the urge to look up other articles made by this fine gentleman.

I mean, I really liked The Walking Dead, but I don't see how it's an RPG.

skuphundaku

Patron

As a proud nanny-state loving lefty I'm very curious what he's written to elicit that kind of response. I find his writing style pretty annoying, but most these things I can recall him saying have been generally fine (Liking FO:NV). Can you clue me in?
How about:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/05/e3-day-zero-when-game-violence-becomes-vile/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/29/1reasonwhy-we-are-all-responsible/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/28/why-arent-we-discussing-videogame-violence/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/gaming-made-me-violence/
The first one, especially, is one of his first posts on RPS and he comes out with his HuffPo discourse to teach us unwashed savages about how uncivilized we are because of the violence in the games we play. I remember finding that extremely aggravating. I was thinking "who the fuck is this imbecile coming here, out of the blue, and starting spouting his gun-grabbing mantra?" After that, he kept oscillating between advocating, subtly or, more often, not so subtly, for gun-grabbing and for femi-nazism. Fuck him! He's as bad as they come.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom