Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Feargus Urquhart IGDA Montreal Talk

Athelas

Arcane
First of all, no one at obsidian would turn down work, period. Second, what makes you think that Feargus would have given the Fallout spin off edition to Avellone to go wild with it? If they don't give him a kickstarter, what makes you think they would have givven him a AAA game?
His work on the previous Fallout spin-off?

(By the way, I edited my post.)

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
unless the secret project is something extremely cool, we have:

Obsidian: Doing 1 probably half-arsed DLC for PoE in Paradox style, 1 card game no one asked, 1 MMO for the moneyz.
inXile: Reworking completely W2, finishing TToN, kickstartering BT4 and talking about a future Van Buren
Larian: Reworking completely D:OS, 2 (or 3, can't remember) secret projects we know are rpgs with the same engine of divinity

Obsidian is not on the right path

Yeah, unless you're a Sawyer banalce groupie, casual player or like MMOs there's not much to look forward to from Obsidian, other RPG developers have much more potential.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
But if you buy the card game and tank skins in their tank game THEN they will do an awesome rpg. HAVE FAITH!!!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Had enough of sucking Sawyer's cock, even if for trolling purposes?
Or you can't resist anymore holding back on your Obsidian bashing urges?
Bad timing I fear, with Avellone leaving them now most Codexers won't give a shit anymore.
I know, all that trolling potential gone down the drain.

I'm not bashing, it's an honest assessment. Without Kickstarter, Obsidian is Troika post-Bloodlines.

If they had started out making DS3/South Park/Pillars of Eternity quality games they might not have found themselves in this situation. :smug:

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
But if you buy the card game and tank skins in their tank game THEN they will do an awesome rpg. HAVE FAITH!!!

Yes, they're no longer making RPGs cause they don't make the big money, but if their tank game makes lots of money they'll be sure to make RPGs they think are not profitable, especially with Avellone gone! I WANT TO BELIEVE!

Athelas

Arcane

Yes, they're no longer making RPGs cause they don't make the big money, but if their tank game makes lots of money they'll be sure to make RPGs they think are not profitable, especially with Avellone gone! I WANT TO BELIEVE!
Did you watch the interview? Feargus describes Armored Warfare as a 'separate business unit', with no overlap with the rest of Obsidian.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
So Avellone's departune won't affect the writing on AW? This is confirmed?

Athelas

Arcane
So Avellone's departune won't affect the writing on AW?
No, the world wil likely be only one superbly written popamole console game poorer (unless his writing still makes it into the final product).

95 staff making a tank game has no bearing on the rest of the business? Sounds like politician speak.
You're assuming all those 95 people worked at Obsidian prior to Armored Warfare.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Obsidian is too big for its own good. Only a matter of time before they start doing iOS stuff.

Kz3r0

Arcane
If they had started out making DS3/South Park/Pillars of Eternity quality games they might not have found themselves in this situation. :smug:
Funny, all of them combined didn't sell as much as NWN 2 and expansions, even less as F:NV did.
In fact they barely outsell KOTOR 2, maybe.
In short, you are full of shit.
Obsidian real problem was not having their own IP portfolio and the streack of canceled projects, mismanagement too, see the whole NWN 2 and Alphs Protocol messy developement story.
They seem to have problems at getting their royalties too, and this is happening again with Paradox.
All in all Obsidian future successes are tied to the Russian Mob MMOs more than Sawyer'sperging in videogame format.

Latro

Arcane

Did you watch the interview? Feargus describes Armored Warfare as a 'separate business unit', with no overlap with the rest of Obsidian.
That's the best case scenario, what could happen is that the MMO is good enough to support Obsidian but all the other projects go bunk, meaning they have to devote more resources on the only really reliable venture going on.

South Park 2, a successful Armoured Warfare, and PoE engine games selling at least moderately well are probably what Obsidian is hoping for atm, and probably their direction for the next 3-4 years

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Wait, is this even relevant? Is there any evidence at all that any money that Armored Warfare makes will actually go to anybody but the Russian mobsters who are funding its development? :M

People are treating it like it's some new era in Obsidian history, but honestly it could just be another make-work project that will come and eventually go.

Kz3r0

Arcane

Saw this now, the wonders of autism.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So Avellone's departune won't affect the writing on AW?
No, the world wil likely be only one superbly written popamole console game poorer (unless his writing still makes it into the final product).

95 staff making a tank game has no bearing on the rest of the business? Sounds like politician speak.
You're assuming all those 95 people worked at Obsidian prior to Armored Warfare.

They were about to go out of business before the Kickstarter, layed off a bunch of people, adding 95 people after that experience sounds insane.

Hegel

Arcane
lol at PoE's engine. It's called unity and the Obsidian version is somewhat shitty (as eloquently put by the desert cities their version of the engine couldn't have handled otherwise)
Face it, if PoE quality is of any indication, the Obsidian we once loved is gone. Now, if only Fargo managed to poach Tim Cain and MCA... a man can only dream.

Athelas

Arcane
lol at PoE's engine. It's called unity and the Obsidian version is somewhat shitty
Yeah, it's so shitty InXile is using it for the new Torment. Dismissing what looks like a robust enough framework for future RPG's with advanced features like a reputation system and a stealth system is pretty silly.

They were about to go out of business before the Kickstarter, layed off a bunch of people, adding 95 people after that experience sounds insane.
Apparently they're bigger than they've ever been, close to 200 people. Such is the crazy mind of Feargus Urquhart.

Western

Arcane
InXile might not get MCA, but I seem to remember that Tim Cain had all these ideas that didn't make it into the game, hopefully it's the case he's not getting much creative input and he'll go somewhere else (maybe InXile) and do something worthwhile.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Face it, if PoE quality is of any indication, the Obsidian we once loved is gone. Now, if only Fargo managed to poach Tim Cain and MCA... a man can only dream.

The true proof of Fargo's abilities will come when he poaches Feargus.

Hegel

Arcane
Yeah, it's so shitty InXile is using it for the new Torment. Dismissing what looks like a robust enough framework for future RPG's with advanced features like a reputation system and a stealth system is pretty silly.

Apparently they're bigger than they've ever been, close to 200 people. Such is the crazy mind of Feargus Urquhart.
InCline is continuously working on the engine. Besides, the guys at Unity are the ones entitled to a fee.
Obsidian has a license.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Yeah, it's so shitty InXile is using it for the new Torment.

That was before Unreal Engine will sell for peanuts.
Dismissing what looks like a robust enough framework for future RPG's with advanced features like a reputation system and a stealth system is pretty silly.

BWAHHHHAAHHAAHAHAHHAAHAHAHA
Please, stop being retarded.
This only means that the two Russian MMOs are paying for them, PoE expansion probably is worked on by unpaid interns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom