Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus talks Fallout: New Vegas with The Escapist

Chefe said:
I am kind of concerned that there were only a few things that Todd Howard told them not to do, which points to this game being more like FO3.

Of COURSE it will be more like FO3. They are doing a spinoff of Bethesda's FO3, using Bethesda's licence, Bethesda's engine, Bethesda's marketing and aiming at Bethesda's audience. It would be seriously fucking immoral at this stage for them to turn around and make the kind of FO3 that we want. Sure, they can put their spin on it - greater use of statchecks (though the original wasn't lacking for quantity, just quality) and better dialogues. But they're spinning off from Bethesda's FO3.

It would be like signing a multibillion dollar contract to sell derivative security bundles to clients, and then suddenly deciding it was unethical and losing your employer tons of money. Sure, there's something respectful about it, but in the immediate term it's both a breach of contract and seriously unethical. If you want to make a moral standard, there's other ways of going about it. If Obsidian wanted to make an 'oldschool' FO of the kind that they and we would like playing, rather than an elder scrolls P-A mod, they should have said NO to Bethesda's offer, NOT licence Bethesda's FO3, and made their own PA setting. That would be the ethical way of going about it - it's would mean a good game without screwing their business partners or their new-found fanbase.

We will get FO3 mk2 because that's what they've contracted to create. And that's more than fair enough - that's just Obsidian showing a modicum of decency to their business partners and to their new audience that Bethesda has been urging to accept them 'on trust'. It isn't like there weren't legitimate ways of producing an oldshool P-A crpg: Obsidian CHOSE not to adopt those.

Now I'm not bashing Obsidian. I LIKE the company and think they've got lots of talent. Signing themselves up to a guranteed money maker is a really smart move. People at the Codex really have to stop expecting studios to release top-quality games every single time, or even every single year. Occasionally when the market is this fucked, you've just got to bite into the wooden stick, grimace with the pain, and collect the cheque after. Then after doing that a few more times, go out and make a good game (it's why I'm more disappointed with AP than this - NV screams of 'I'll just bite this stick and try not to cry, tell me when the sodomising's over; AP looks like a failed attempt at a good game:-(.

So I like Obsidian. But there's only so far you can go with this one. Expecting miracles from this scenario isn't fair to them or us.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Azrael the cat said:
Of COURSE it will be more like FO3. They are doing a spinoff of Bethesda's FO3, using Bethesda's licence, Bethesda's engine, Bethesda's marketing and aiming at Bethesda's audience. It would be seriously fucking immoral at this stage for them to turn around and make the kind of FO3 that we want. Sure, they can put their spin on it - greater use of statchecks (though the original wasn't lacking for quantity, just quality) and better dialogues. But they're spinning off from Bethesda's FO3.

It would be like signing a multibillion dollar contract to sell derivative security bundles to clients, and then suddenly deciding it was unethical and losing your employer tons of money. Sure, there's something respectful about it, but in the immediate term it's both a breach of contract and seriously unethical. If you want to make a moral standard, there's other ways of going about it. If Obsidian wanted to make an 'oldschool' FO of the kind that they and we would like playing, rather than an elder scrolls P-A mod, they should have said NO to Bethesda's offer, NOT licence Bethesda's FO3, and made their own PA setting. That would be the ethical way of going about it - it's would mean a good game without screwing their business partners or their new-found fanbase.

We will get FO3 mk2 because that's what they've contracted to create. And that's more than fair enough - that's just Obsidian showing a modicum of decency to their business partners and to their new audience that Bethesda has been urging to accept them 'on trust'. It isn't like there weren't legitimate ways of producing an oldshool P-A crpg: Obsidian CHOSE not to adopt those.

Now I'm not bashing Obsidian. I LIKE the company and think they've got lots of talent. Signing themselves up to a guranteed money maker is a really smart move. People at the Codex really have to stop expecting studios to release top-quality games every single time, or even every single year. Occasionally when the market is this fucked, you've just got to bite into the wooden stick, grimace with the pain, and collect the cheque after. Then after doing that a few more times, go out and make a good game (it's why I'm more disappointed with AP than this - NV screams of 'I'll just bite this stick and try not to cry, tell me when the sodomising's over; AP looks like a failed attempt at a good game:-(.

So I like Obsidian. But there's only so far you can go with this one. Expecting miracles from this scenario isn't fair to them or us.

+1

everybody else can die. especially Volourn.

Chefe

Erudite
Azrael the cat said:
Chefe said:
I am kind of concerned that there were only a few things that Todd Howard told them not to do, which points to this game being more like FO3.

"More like Fallout 3" was in reference to the child-like writing and skill checks, obsession with gore, theme-park world, paper thin characters, banal plot, stupid quests, idiotic gameworld, and excessive hand-holding.

It is Bethesda's license, but that doesn't mean the lore has suddenly gone completely sour. You can tell a great story with bad source material. There is nothing inherently wrong with Bethesda's engine. Marketing, while it often sucks, does not make a game. Bethesda's audience, as I understand it, is more interested in open world exploration and item collection above all else.

mike73

Novice
I think we all realize it's about money for Bethestard. Fallout 3 was unfortunately selling very good despite of shite of a plot, uninteresting characters and replayability or lack there of. They want their next game to be selling just as well hence not changing it much. I'm worried the setting and few touches is all there is new to NV and even MCA won't make it a decent RPG.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Chefe said:
"More like Fallout 3" was in reference to the child-like writing and skill checks, obsession with gore, theme-park world, paper thin characters, banal plot, stupid quests, idiotic gameworld, and excessive hand-holding.

if we're to look forward to one thing, with hope...i think it is that we won't get a "More like Fallout 3" game in those areas.

It is Bethesda's license, but that doesn't mean the lore has suddenly gone completely sour. You can tell a great story with bad source material. There is nothing inherently wrong with Bethesda's engine. Marketing, while it often sucks, does not make a game. Bethesda's audience, as I understand it, is more interested in open world exploration and item collection above all else.

i can't figure out what you're driving at here.

Chefe

Erudite
TwinkieGorilla said:
Chefe said:

if we're to look forward to one thing, with hope...i think it is that we won't get a "More like Fallout 3" game in those areas.

i can't figure out what you're driving at here.

I was responding to this: "Of COURSE it will be more like FO3. They are doing a spinoff of Bethesda's FO3, using Bethesda's licence, Bethesda's engine, Bethesda's marketing and aiming at Bethesda's audience."

It was just a miscommunication. Az apparently didn't understand what I was getting at when I said I was concerned that the game would be more like FO3, and I suppose I wasn't clear enough.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Chefe said:

Other than the hand-holding, that pretty much sums up Fallout 1.

^0/10

Of COURSE it will be more like FO3. They are doing a spinoff of Bethesda's FO3, using Bethesda's licence, Bethesda's engine, Bethesda's marketing and aiming at Bethesda's audience.

None of those things implies the writing, combat and quest design will be on the same level. Behtesda's audience will gulp anything with collectan and barbie doll dressan.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Mastermind said:

Master, Master, where's the dreams that I've been after?
Master, Master, you promised only lies
Laughter, laughter, all I hear or see is laughter
Laughter, laughter, laughing at my cries

66585.jpg

jin-roh-the-wolf-brigade.jpg

They stole superior Bethesda intellectual property!

Oh, wait...

This is a stupid picture. The lone warrior looking down on a city on the horizon is probably featured at least once in every SF or fantasy setting ever made. That he slowly turns his head to the camera doesn't help. Who uses red glowing eyes anymore anyway? If every game tries to be "cool", the way to stand out from this crowd is not to be retarded.

Bethesda wants to sell games. People love the badass look of that outfit. So they will buy it. Bethesda is not interested in being innovative or anything at all. They just want your $$. And your soul.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Chefe said:

This is what Mastermind actually thinks!

ecliptic

Liturgist
We [also] talked a lot about when it should occur in the timeline. Originally, we thought that it didn't take place after Fallout 3 and that it took place between Fallout 2 and Fallout 3. When Bethesda thinks about their worlds, they always want to be pressing forward. So every game just moves the timeline forward. That's one of the things they said "No," and that's why it takes place years after Fallout 3.

Don't want to confuse people on their 360s.

Texas Red

Whiner
Naturaliensammler said:
66585.jpg

jin-roh-the-wolf-brigade.jpg

They stole superior Bethesda intellectual property!

Oh, wait...

This is a stupid picture. The lone warrior looking down on a city on the horizon is probably featured at least once in every SF or fantasy setting ever made. That he slowly turns his head to the camera doesn't help. Who uses red glowing eyes anymore anyway? If every game tries to be "cool", the way to stand out from this crowd is not to be retarded.

Bethesda wants to sell games. People love the badass look of that outfit. So they will buy it. Bethesda is not interested in being innovative or anything at all. They just want your $$. And your soul.

Now there's a good marketing strategy: try to imitate your competitors as closely as possible and hope your elven bikini armour is smaller than theirs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom