Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus talks about NWN2 at Eurogamer

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Jora said:
Sheriff, the Shadow King in NWN2 is not Larloch. No-one knows who he/she/it is.

What's your source on that?, In FR lore there is only one Shadow King and that's Larloch so WTF?. Now they are re- writing canon with WotC's blessing?? figures.
It makes sense this is another monumental fuck up, Of course I assumed the Shadow King in a Forgotten Realms game, would actually be the "Shadow King!"
what was I thinking? Damn did those sneaky fucks get one past me!

Jed

Cipher
Sheriff05 said:
I am so fucking glad that as infrequently as I post here my very presence , even after all these years, forces you to pull out of whoever's anus your currently waist deep in and come running -how linear of you.
Ah, Sheriff, another old-timer missed around these parts. Cthulu bless your filthy mouth, where are you keeping yourself these days?

Jora

Arcane
Sheriff05 said:
What's your source on that?, In FR lore there is only one Shadow King and that's Larloch so WTF?. Now they are re- writing canon with WotC's blessing?? figures.
It makes sense this is another monumental fuck up, Of course I assumed the Shadow King in a Forgotten Realms game, would actually be the "Shadow King!"
what was I thinking? Damn did those sneaky fucks get one past me!
The new adversary was first referred to as the King of Shadows. Obsidian is also aware of Larlochs level of power and wouldn't make a story in which a he's defeated by the people of a small village.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Jed said:
Ah, Sheriff, another old-timer missed around these parts. Cthulu bless your filthy mouth, where are you keeping yourself these days?

There haven't been many games that have interest me of late but I've still been around lurking. It's just with the exception of you, VD and small handful of others the quality of discourse around here just isn't worth contributing to since the "Dumbfuck" quotient went exponential. Of course all this NWN2 shit is bound to get me all fired up and I am of course very interested in AoD.
I 'm sure Saint misses calling me a "no-good commie", so I may just have be around a bit more, hope you're well. :D

Jed

Cipher
Sheriff05 said:
I 'm sure Saint misses calling me a "no-good commie", so I may just have be around a bit more, hope you're well. :D
Yeah, but Saint thinks public transportaion=Stanlinism, so water off a duck's back there. I'm well, thanks for asking, and I miss your loud, angry posts.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Jora said:
The new adversary was first referred to as the King of Shadows. Obsidian is also aware of Larlochs level of power and wouldn't make a story in which a he's defeated by the people of a small village.

Kind of a lack creative thinking there don't ya think?.."King of Shadows" when you've a huge canon figure like "The Shadow King" . Anyway I'm sure you see where my confusion came from. Ok, the stories plausiblity now becomes some what less idiotic. Now we just have "the piece of metal stuck inside you" and automatic railroading that will come along with it to laugh at. Although I don't mind the Gith, they were cool in Torment.

Jora

Arcane
Railroading? We can't be sure of that. There is a growing trend for more and more linear games but what's been revealed of NWN2 so far isn't enough to come to the conclusion that the game is similar to other recent titles. And is railroading such a bad thing afterall? Arcanum is very linear (Shrouded Hills --> Tarant --> BMC --> etc.) but still managed to provide a lot of freedom to the player. Virgil says that the player is Nasrudin reborn but the player chooses his own destiny and can say fuck you to the church.

Non-linearity and multiple solutions don't require a non-Chosen One plot.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Jora said:
Railroading? We can't be sure of that. There is a growing trend for more and more linear games but what's been revealed of NWN2 so far isn't enough to come to the conclusion that the game is similar to other recent titles. And is railroading such a bad thing afterall? Arcanum is very linear (Shrouded Hills --> Tarant --> BMC --> etc.) but still managed to provide a lot of freedom to the player. Virgil says that the player is Nasrudin reborn but the player chooses his own destiny and can say fuck you to the church.

Non-linearity and multiple solutions don't require a non-Chosen One plot.

Railroading sucks, While in Arcanum, you had to go to A-B-C but what you did to get there was entirely different based on your character. the only thing railroading you in first part of Arcanum was that you had Gilbert Bates ring. Having a piece of Gith a sword
stuck in your buttocks sounds like a really shitty premise that just cant give you that many choices (unless you can somehow remove it) . Your right though, the evidence of the potential linearity is still TBA.

bryce777

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
In Fallout you were "chosen" by the Overseer to go find the chip, which obviously makes you a "chosen one" just like a "role playing game" is any game where you "play a role."

You weren't really a chosen one in either fallout. That was obvious satire in the second one, and the game did not play out that way at all.

bryce777

Erudite
Sheriff05 said:
kingcomrade said:
even if theoretically it's same thing
No, it isn't theoretically the same thing. The "Chosen One" bit has a specific literary definition. Being "chosen" by someone to do something doesn't make you a Chosen One with capital letters. If I told Volourn to fuck himself, would that make him a Chosen One? If I sent you to the store to buy some milk, would that make you a Chosen One?

What's your point? ( other than to up your retarded 6 month post count)
I don't think it's the same thing either. I only said that to diffuse whatever horseshit Volourn comes back with. He's bound to say, ""Oh noes! its the same thing cuase,...blah blah, drool ,some shit, blah you're a moron, roofles" or the like.
actually, I DO get your point! Volourn is the "Choosen One" in that Special Ed, March of Dimes kind of way.

I see a huge fucking difference between the moronic railroading in Biowares shit versus the Fallout games.

Because? Volly never has a because; to him things just are.

I liked the waist deep comment, but I am sure that vollyboi is not the giver but the taker.

bryce777

Erudite
Sheriff05 said:
Jora said:

Kind of a lack creative thinking there don't ya think?.."King of Shadows" when you've a huge canon figure like "The Shadow King" . Anyway I'm sure you see where my confusion came from. Ok, the stories plausiblity now becomes some what less idiotic. Now we just have "the piece of metal stuck inside you" and automatic railroading that will come along with it to laugh at. Although I don't mind the Gith, they were cool in Torment.

Bioware can't make a game without working shadows in.

Fighter

Novice
This moronic conclusions you all make can be made about any story given just a snippet. Not trying to say NWN2 will have a superb story, but at least reserve your judgement for when you see it and stop acting like whiny idiots.

TruthDecay

Novice
What is up with the "King of Shadows" bullshit? Instead of giving us interesting villains with good backstories and interesting motivations for their behavior, we get some generic bad guy who is affiliated with TEH DARKNEZZ! It amazes me that dungeon masters running PnP games in college while juggling heavy courseloads, running on nothing but caffeine and pot, can come up with better stories and characters than a company with significant financial resources and a game that will sell based upon its name alone. Please tell me that the "King of Shadows" has some good backstory so it doesn't look like the villain was pulled out of somebody's ass.

And wasn't there a "King of Shadows" of sorts in Baldur's Gate 2 involved with the temple of Amaunator? That felt kinda retarded. Now we have the pleasure of one bugging us through the entire game. If I recall correctly, there was also a bunch of githyanki who had a dispute with the PCs because of, yep, a sword. Wasn't that blade broken as well?

Jed

Cipher
Fighter said:
This moronic conclusions you all make can be made about any story given just a snippet. Not trying to say NWN2 will have a superb story, but at least reserve your jugement for when you see it and stop acting like whiny idiots.
DEJA VUBLIVION!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Jed said:
Fighter said:
This moronic conclusions you all make can be made about any story given just a snippet. Not trying to say NWN2 will have a superb story, but at least reserve your jugement for when you see it and stop acting like whiny idiots.
DEJA VUBLIVION!
Not again.

kris

Arcane
Fighter said:
This moronic conclusions you all make can be made about any story given just a snippet. Not trying to say NWN2 will have a superb story, but at least reserve your judgement for when you see it and stop acting like whiny idiots.

where are your friends mage and thief?

Jora

Arcane
Sheriff05 said:
Railroading sucks, While in Arcanum, you had to go to A-B-C but what you did to get there was entirely different based on your character. the only thing railroading you in first part of Arcanum was that you had Gilbert Bates ring.
Shrouded Hills --> Tarant --> BMC --> the penal colony island --> Wheel Clan --> Quintarra --> the book quest to find the dark elves, at which point the linear storyline is divided into two linear storylines --> Vendigroth --> Void

That's a great but linear storyline. You can't get the Vendigroth machine before you're told to, nor can you find Quintarra before you've killed or spoken with Loghaire Thunderstone. Yes, you can fight your way through the Dredge caverns or just convince Loghaire's son to show you the secret passage, but multiple ways to proceed don't make the game any less linear. You're always told where to go and what to do next. While this is annoying in limited games like KotOR, Arcanum's vast world and role-playing options made up for the railroading.

Fallout 2, on the other hand, became boring very quickly. Without a strong story to follow, the player just wanders around the wasteland, visiting towns in a random order and deciding what kind of end slides they get. Non-linearity and lack of railroading (the game has those despite of the Chosen One aspect) didn't prevent me from getting bored.

Jed said:
DEJA VUBLIVION!
It was reasonable to expect an uninteresting storyline from Bethesda because their previous games are incredibly dull. Obsidian is a strange, new beast. Who knows what to expect from them? Their track record is both good and bad, and much of what has been said about NWN2 sounds good.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
What's your point? ( other than to up your retarded 6 month post count)
The second part of the post wasn't directed solely at you, don't get your panties in a twist. And don't worry, with hard work you'll supercede my post count in intelligence, you just need to study hard.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
don't get your panties in a twist. And don't worry, with hard work you'll supercede my post count in intelligence, you just need to study hard.

I hate to break it to you, but I guess no one told you that a couple years ago we had a consensus that if you had the time to consistently post here 20+ times a day you had to be a fucking retard, sorry, just wanted you to know where I was coming from.

By the way- nice sig, do you even fucking know Rex?, or is that your special way of trying to fit in?

I never thought I'd see the day when spamming noobs would be corpse fucking Rex in their sigs. whoa, I guess Rex is a legend huh?.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
You're right, my sig is just a sad attempt to fit in. It's not a quote from just a week ago or anything. Tell me Sheriff, when will I be able to join the Codex Kool Kidz Klub? I'm terribly sad that I've only been here six months, I'm also terribly sad to see that being here longer doesn't seem to impart any special wit or intelligence.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
I'm also terribly sad to see that being here longer doesn't seem to impart any special wit or intelligence.

We may be short of wit or intelligence, but out dicks more than make up for it. Now open wide, baby.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Role-Player said:
kingcomrade said:
I'm also terribly sad to see that being here longer doesn't seem to impart any special wit or intelligence.

We may be short of wit or intelligence, but out dicks more than make up for it. Now open wide, baby.
:)

The whiney bitches like this Sheriff or Seven grate on my nerves, the Codex might've been "better" way back when, but in their case it would be a mistake to think they had anything to do with it. It's like being talked down to on a Counter-Strike server by a clannie: unimpressive.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Whiney bitches? Au Contraire, you're the one crying putz. So Seven laid into you too huh?
I always liked that fucker and WE grate on YOUR nerves?? LOL!, oh my.

Guess you never thought about how those 3500 posts of yours the last six months represent you did ya? Let me guess you "thought" you were just here to impress us with your massive intellect? I must have missed that on the news page.

Hey serious question- Have you donated any money to the cause here?, You know your spamming bullshit cost money right? if you have- ok, well then you're only half the douche bag I thought you are, if you haven't, well. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom