Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fear & Hunger - Survival Horror Rogue-Like Blobber *qualifier overflow*

Zariusz

Arbiter
And done, i went for the Day 1 ending A, quite disappointing to be honest, no epilogue, no party reaction before fighting Kaiser (nice battle theme) and Logic. I like how every time i play this i find new stuff even now just before fighting last boss, for example you can use glass on enemy heads to make them blind. I checked my crafting menu and because i killed some thug during random event i can now craft pipe bombs and according to their description maybe i can remove rubble and probably unlock new areas.
My party was Marcoh (damn he is a beast once he gains access to Hexen), Abella (her wrench is viable through whole game thanks to Wrench Throw skill), Levi (i only had him to fill party, i had to find Small thing's Amulet to make him usable though) and that magical nigga from NotEthiopia (i equiped him with Chac-Chac and Death Mask, his fully reved up Black Orb took over 4k hp of Kaiser).

9vXfd55.png

Also i found that furry oc, yeah that stuff was retarded, his spear is a nice weapon though. I wish that instead of this shit we could play as Pav or August.

Last edited:
There are epilogues for ending B and Miro wants to make the other characters playable eventually but yea ending A was somewhat disappointing to me because its not tied into the termina plot and does not have anywhere the same build up as the primary ending of the first game.

The vibe of mounting tension as you uncover more and more layers to the dungeon in F&H1 was, like, really cool or whatever, and unfortunately that sense of discovery is rather front-loaded in Termina; the world of the second game is impressively large and interconnected, but you get access to like 90% of it after getting into prehevil proper and the post-church area makes for a disappointingly tiny end-game, meanwhile the first game hits you with a fucking multi-dimensional city in its last half.

Also its kind of disappointing when you realize that you will likely end up skipping the majority (!) of the game's bossfights in most playthroughs, especially once you know what you are doing. As a result there are quite a few areas that feel anti-climactic because in many cases you would have done something to prevent the boss from appearing there, and enemy variety is not low exactly, but some enemies are just rare AF and others are overused.

Still its a GOOD and ENVELOPING experience imo and one I still recommend to everyone because in the worst case scenario it is overwhelmingly likely to form a CLASSIC "well I couldn't finish this game but at least I went down a toilet and didn't come out and also another time a ghost raped me" novelty memory thing.

And unlike F&H1 I immediately felt the urge to replay the game, which makes sense since doing shit like getting Rher's golden gates on day 1 is very viable and game-changing, and there are mechanical reasons to replay this time around since every ending unlocks hidden skills on the Hexen for use in future playthroughs. But I will probably let Miro polish this thing off a bit before returning to it.

Mauman

Learned
Just beat it for the first time.

I was very impressed at the amount of character interaction. There was a fair amount out-of party (like Daan and Marina arguing in the bar), and a ton in party (like Ossa and Karin bickering constantly, Levi and Marina talking about the town, or Ossa and Daan jokingly sniping at each other etc...).

That being said, I agree that ending A feels like it's unfinished.

For instance, the god of logic had nothing to say to Olivia who was in my party, nor did Olivia say anything.
In general it felt kind of rushed. I'm also annoyed that any proper epilogue to a character is going to require me to go the genocide route.

That being said, I'm looking forward to what Orange has in mind for future updates (as long as it's not linked to maso mode. FUCK that).

Now it's time to play an Ossa game so I can enjoy the musings of you-know-who.

Last edited:

═█═

Literate
I never got the time to play this game despite buying it and you guys are saying it needs more work, should I hold off until Orange fleshes it out with updates? Or will I not get disappointed as long as I don't expect too much? I still don't know if the first game has a great ending or not since I refuse to look things up in the wiki and it kicks my ass every time.

Sunri

Liturgist
I never got the time to play this game despite buying it and you guys are saying it needs more work, should I hold off until Orange fleshes it out with updates? Or will I not get disappointed as long as I don't expect too much? I still don't know if the first game has a great ending or not since I refuse to look things up in the wiki and it kicks my ass every time.
just play it its good enough.

═█═

Literate
I think I have early access PTSD because since I've been burned by so many unfinished games and I know that even if I play a more complete version later it's not going to be like playing a good finished game for the first time. There might not even be a next time due to irl getting in the way so if the ending is underwhelming that's like how the game will have ended for me forever. :( Usually I wait with playing games until a long time after they are released to avoid this but idk Orange makes superduper cool games and I can't keep myself from wanting to eat this hot porridge.

Mauman

Learned
I think I have early access PTSD because since I've been burned by so many unfinished games and I know that even if I play a more complete version later it's not going to be like playing a good finished game for the first time. There might not even be a next time due to irl getting in the way so if the ending is underwhelming that's like how the game will have ended for me forever. :( Usually I wait with playing games until a long time after they are released to avoid this but idk Orange makes superduper cool games and I can't keep myself from wanting to eat this hot porridge.
The game is "done". Orange is just adding new stuff to an already done project.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i am playing the first game and it;s pretty awesome so far. probably more like sweet home meet berserk than something like RE. i really dig the art and atmosphere

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's nice to see that this game blew the fuck up. Power of streamers I guess.

I'll never like streamers, but it's nice to see gems like this get attention sometimes.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
dunno but super eyepatch wolf did a video about this with a million views or so, but i've had this game in my library since last year when i saw iron pineapple's video about this

Arthandas

Prophet
There are two notable mods:
proper English script
bugfixes

They're not compatible with each other since they overwrite the same files but you can install the bugfixes on top of the script to have at least some of the grammar/spelling corrections.

jungl

Augur
Save and load simulator rpgmaker jank. The not berserk and jojo art really does attract the normie crowd I guess. It just shows how starved people are for survival horror games that are not purely run and gun action games.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
It's Quite janky and sometimes can be rng fest, but the game sometimes have some really creative design and clever alternative path and actual good resource management. It's mostly a knowledge based game and it's done well enough that it left impression on me. Love the dang atmosphere and edgy body horror monster design.

I just reached the mines, then bypassed it by accident using some alt route i just found while randomly checking out a place i was locked from before.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Finished, got the D ending. I Don't have any desire to go for another ending, but it was good and fun. Tried playing the barbarian and the knight. Overall fun game with unique mechanics and thicc atmosphere. It can be janky and unpolished, sometimes it soft locked me by getting stuck on a terrain after beating one of the end game boss. One time i got infinite lucky coin because the shining icon on the floor doesn't disappear. Sometimes i cannot use items from inventory for whatever reason, exit the game, reload it works again.

It's annoying but saved by the fact is most of the games are player-knowledge based so you only lose the time required to walk from your save point to the destination.

It's solid 7-8/10 depending on how much you like the atmosphere. The dismemberment mechanics got kinda old in the end game, but i like a lot of the boss battles or even regular battles works like puzzles

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Ok i have been on youtube binge and i am still quite astounded on how much content it has. Beside all the endings, like there are still much more exposition that are so obscure i neither have the patience nor time to ever discover but it's still cool nonetheless, like this one:

I got the gist of the story but sometimes you got this kind of dialogue that's so hard to find.

Don't forget the real horrors of the game: references to COVID, twitch streamers, and the dev's discord friend who stars in a prominent role as his fursona.
Aren't you confusing this with Caves of Qud, who did just that?
It's from the second game, Termina.
I'll have to take your word as I won't play the second game anytime soon as I still have to finish the first game.
2023-01-02_02_05_49-Sergal_Spear____Fear_and_Hunger__the_Tormentpedia__Wiki___Fandom_-_Opera.jpg

Better not mention the "writing" that surrounds this character, Rancid the Sergal.
Aw Christ, a fucking Sergal? One of those autists? I'm sure as Hell not buying the sequel if the dev wants to be buddies with people from one of the most annoying parts of the already annoying furry fandom then.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Aw Christ, a fucking Sergal? One of those autists? I'm sure as Hell not buying the sequel if the dev wants to be buddies with people from one of the most annoying parts of the already annoying furry fandom then.
It's just a YouTuber shoutout, man. Lots of indie games do it. No need to read so much into it.

It's just a YouTuber shoutout, man. Lots of indie games do it. No need to read so much into it.
Alright, fiiiiiine.

Mauman

Learned
Alright, fiiiiiine.
To be fair, there's at least one character who basically sums up our thoughts on the Sergal.

Nashrah basically calls it a retard

Game's great. Talking about the original as i haven't played much of Termina yet. Gonna tackle the original first. I would call the game an immersive survival-horror RPG. Sad to see it has not gotten much traction here on Codex. It's better than the vast majority of the trash here. Also while the game does have RNG, calling it a roguelike seems quite reductive to me.

Last edited:

Psquit

Arcane
Yes, sadly it didn't had enough traction here. Sure, there's some rpgmaker jank but the game goes above and beyond to make it's mark. All the characters are memorable in their own way, AAA devs should pay attention, they might learn something.

Jinn

Arcane
Got the first game during the summer sale. Having a hard time getting over the initial hurdle, but I'm going to keep trying as it's clear there is something very special here.

Last edited:

Psquit

Arcane
Curse your weapons for extra damage. You don't need to fight everything that moves here. Eventually you can learn how to make a disguise to avoid getting ambushed by guards and lord of the flies. Losing an arm is not a restart (i finished the game without an arm and a leg). Spells... learn healing whispers and pretty much you're set. Also very important, morality here means shit.

Edit: forgot about the blank scroll mechanic. If you find a blank scroll you have basically a cheat code, you need to type in all caps " O LORD GIVE/TEACH X (name of item or skill)"

You can literally get op armor, weapons or souls that give an extra turn.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom