Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favroite setting in an rpg?

What's your Favroite setting?

• Steampunk(think arcanum)

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Post apoc(think fallout)

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Modern day( think bloodlines or even JA2)

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • sci fi( mass effect/kotor)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • other(planescape)

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • cyberpunk(deus ex) [say thanks to Jarl for fixing this option]

Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters
Ironforge

Zeus

Cipher
Fantasy is my favorite. But only because so many great RPGs have used fantasy settings.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Deadeye Dragoon said:
Standard fantasy, mostly because it's what I grew up playing in games and tabletop, and reading. Plus I appreciate the generic archetypes and bestiaries, shared mythology, etc. Variations are very welcome but stock fantasy will always be my favorite.

I didn't know it was possible to be this boring.

DriacKin

Arbiter
blackshoe said:
DriacKin said:
Why is Planescape in the 'Other' category? Why isn't it in fantasy?
Does it look like a fucking typical fantasy to you?

Jesus christ some idiots on here today.

Yes, it fucking does look like typical fantasy to me. This is a game where you weild typical medival weapons like swords and axes, have mages that cast spells, weild magical items, and meet magical creatures. Just because you have a bunch of portals across the city that lead to unknown places doesn't make the game not fantasy.

Jesus christ some idiots on here today.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You forgot cyberpunk. Deus Ex is cyberpunk and not "pre apocalyptic".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the fuck is "pre-apocalyptic" anyways? Everything that isn't post-apocalyptic or apocalyptic is pre-apocalyptic cause it's before the apocalypse.

My favourite is Arcanum-like steampunk fantasy.

JarlFrank said:
What the fuck is "pre-apocalyptic" anyways? Everything that isn't post-apocalyptic or apocalyptic is pre-apocalyptic cause it's before the apocalypse.

I think he means a "ZOMG ITZ COMING" period, right before the apoc. itself

basically, when you see a wave of machetes moving on the hills on the horizon

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It's still lacking cyberpunk then. And it's Andhaira-inane poll anyway. Reads like a GameFag-thread:

"My favorite Barbie is the Surfing Barbie but I really like the Shopping Barbie too! What about you?"

"I just love the Horseback Barbie!"

"You do? SO DO I!"

"SQUEEEE! BFF! GROUPHUG-BARBIE!"

mondblut

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Plain old medieval fantasy.

011_Octriallach.gif

Don't forget dark und gritty!

Dnny

Educated
Steampunk. The conflict of generations, era plus the feeling of being in a world of discoveries, of exploration is great. It doesn't have to take everything for granted, it doesn't feel like things are set in the stone. In fantasy and sci-fi it's like billions of years could go on without any major change and progress while a decade in a steampunk setting feels like an eternity.
Steampunk brings me in a mood of false nostalgy, of wanting to have been born centuries ago when man was still ignorant and there was still new land to set foot on. Nowadays there isn't a single centimeter of land that hasn't been mapped and photographed.

Even though most fantasy settings took inspiration from the middle ages it doesn't bring this feeling of nostalgy because fantasy settings are set, cast in stone. Taking something like the Forgotten Realms for example everything is simply too detailed down to every continent and country and it doesn't feel like an actual adventure where the character you play could be the next Christopher Columbus.

Saving the world may be nice but once in a while I'd love something more down to earth like just playing a, GASP, an adventurer, walking through the unkown and building settlements.

Ebola1717

Novice
I'll say steampunk, since i have a steampunk craze like a typical jrpg fanboy.

But what i'd really like to see is more RPGs in less traditional ancient times, i.e. Greece, Rome, Persia, Babylon, China, Feudal Japan, Egypt, etc. And spaghetti Western RPGs. There's a wealth of untapped settings. I don't understand why we're stuck in the same fantasy crap in every single game.

Lothers

Scholar
Deus EX is "pre apocalyptic"? WTF? It's clearly cyberpunk at it's best! I like hard edge sf like Anachronox...

DraQ

Arcane
Lothers said:
Deus EX is "pre apocalyptic"? WTF? It's clearly cyberpunk at it's best! I like hard edge sf like Anachronox...
Anachronox seemed rather along the lines of weird SF, with penchant for always being hard whenever it didn't interfere with the rule of cool and rule of funny.

roll-a-die

Magister
I prefer modern day settings as it eases you into the suspension of disbelief better than fantasy or sci-fi. Post-apoc and pre-apoc are good about that too. Just not as much as Modern day settings.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Does it look like a fucking typical fantasy to you?"

Yes, yes it does.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Dnny said:
Even though most fantasy settings took inspiration from the middle ages it doesn't bring this feeling of nostalgy because fantasy settings are set, cast in stone. Taking something like the Forgotten Realms for example everything is simply too detailed down to every continent and country and it doesn't feel like an actual adventure where the character you play could be the next Christopher Columbus.

There is a knack to making a mapped out world feel fresh. The Forgotten Realms comic and the AD&D comic book which was in the Forgotten Realms were two of the most unpredictable while still being believable comics I ever read.

There is an appeal to uncharted territory. Which reminds me of how Microsoft sinned against the genre with Shadowrun. Shadowrun is of real kin to an Oblivion & Fallout love child. Both of those games made good booty so why the Counter Strike reject?

roll-a-die

Magister
"Does it look like a fucking typical fantasy to you?"

Yes, yes it does.

It's a much darker and dare I say it more mature fantasy than say baldurs gate to be sure. But, yes it is a fantasy setting. Just with certain fantasy tropes taken in a different direction than usual. It's like comparing the invisibles to the x-men, different yet the same in a confusing manner. One is also better written.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom