Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite Army/faction/etc?

ColCol

Arcane
So, not for any strategy game in particular, what is your favorite army/faction/etc? Be it for gameplay mechanics, lore, whatever.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Kind of a broad question there :)

Fluff wise I'm a big (no pun intended ;-p) dwarf guy.
So in pretty much any game or setting that has them, I'll play a dwarf.

In Strategy games this means more often than not my units will have comparatively small movement ranges, high staying power / hitpoints and generally above average hitting / fire power.
This presents my dwarven units usually with unique and interesting challenges in regards to movement and troop positioning. Almost like when playing chess you'll have to think a couple turns/seconds ahead and also take into account what your opponent will do with his troops, how engagements will play out etc..
While this is the rule universally of course, for dwarven armies this is generally one of the most important aspects in strategy games more so than for any other army because while others can usually correct small positioning mistakes, adapt to a changing or unexpected situations that arise on the battlefield and generally introduce changes to positioning "on the fly", dwarfs generally have a much harder time in these respects so you'll have to plan your movements more carefully and more in-depth than other players/armies.
Dwarfs also generally field comparatively small numbers so each mistake - short or long term - will cost you dearly.
Another thing about dwarven armies is that ruses / bait tactics are hard to pull off without sacrifice because they can't disengage quickly. Unless you are able to plan these tactics out really well, because you can't afford to just "throw" a couple units away for nought, you might wanna stay away from these kind of things as newly appointed "general" aka newbie.

Because of the unforgiving nature of dwarven armies and all these draw backs, they generally are one of the races for advanced / well-versed-in-the-rules players.

So in short playing dwarfs - while in pretty much any universe I love their general fluff, attitude, character traits etc. - generally is relatively hard/advanced and you'll have to maneuver them with much care and be highly aware of what's happening on all fronts/engagements as to not get outmaneuvered by superior mobility units.
The most important thing I learned over the years playing dwarven armies in all manner of strategy games is that they encourage their generals and leaders to think on a highly tactical level. Higher than most other armies. Over time I came to really enjoy this kind of play style, because it separates the wheat from the chaff so to speak and demand high levels of attention from you as player.

ColCol

Arcane
I like dwarf armies, though there is a tendency for them to be slow, which I'm not fond of. I will usually play as them if they use tech. Nothing better than messing up medieval knights or elves with muskets and steam tanks. Will certainly be playing as the Dreadnought in AOW 3

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well represented undead hands down win for me, something like Necropolis from Heroes series with necromancy and other tailored magic. There is something interesting in raising your own armies. I like skeletons in general too and they usually make up the bulk of undead armies.

I also like super high tech armies like Scrin from C&C with walkers, flying superships, lasers and beams everywhere.

Finally there is a place in my heart for space-marine-like super infantry units. Sardaukars from Emperor: Battle for Dune always felt awesome to use.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Roman Legions, solid core of dependable professionals who'll alway keep the line augmented by allied Auxiliary units who compensate for all heavy infantry shortcoming; So Yes Dwarves in Fantasy setting but supported by hobbit slingers, Human Merc Cavalry and Gnomish Engineers. Came from Commissar lack of manual reflex in RPGs, only way to survive for him is to play as Tank. In SF small, mobile high value units which leads to shorter turns and forces Commando like tactics the way Space Marine Fights, caused by X-COM fascination.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Ariadna: Heavy weapons units that can camouflage and hide. Air-dropping super-jumping werewolves (that cut themselves to transform before battle) that dual wield chain rifles.

I usually like strong units that can tank and deal lots of damage.

A good example of this is Orcs.
Orcs in AOW, for example, are awesome. Mainly slow and suck at ranged, but DAMN you have dependable stuff like Warlords and why the hell you need pissy arrows anyway?

In more high-techy settings I prefer factions with more industrial power or/and technology; Human Hive, University, Psilons, because I have a quite turtler mindset.

In Grand Strategy I like minors that punch above their weight yet still have to beware the bigs - Portugal in EU (in vicky can be fun too), small counties near religious borders in CK, Brazil in Victoria, Chinese Warlord Rebels in HOI, etc.

spectre

Arcane
Flavor wise, I have a thing for all sorts of mercenary type factions, especially when it's well written to be a bit more than everything with kitchen sink.
Precious few games to manage that though, Dark Omen springs to mind, also Myth for that Black Company flavor done quite right.

Mechanically wise, I tend to prefer armies with good ranged ability. Also good mobility. The unfortunate fact is, that most fantasy setting can offer me some faggy elves at best.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Glorious Soviets or other revolutionaries :salute: Or if Sweden is present, ill grab that!
I also love the Tower faction in HoMM3. Their soundtrack is one of the best in that game for me.

Jester

Arbiter
Hmm its bit general, but...
In Fantasy:
Undead, Dwarf or Elf factions usually

Dwarfs - Generally speaking i like their usual tankiness and high damage potential. Their drawback low mobility and usual lesser effectiveness in non mountains areas can be lessened by careful planing, high unit cost and they have less reliable ranged capabilities. Hard to master, but rewarding for doing so.
Undead - Usually low cost dispensable early units, used as backup for few elite units or heavy reliance on spell/spell casters. Drawback is of this faction? Usually need steady progress and is unforgiving for loses of elite troops. Love them for war of attrition mindset.
Lizards - Good at hitting weak points, huge mobility, evading damage rather than tanking it, average damage at low cost. Low hp, hate high probability attacks, bad at holding line. Hit and run at its finest. (or their equivalent, usually Elf)

Special mentions: Disciples Mortis forces.

In sci-fi/modern:
Hit and run/stealth based armies.
Special powers based armies.
Quantity based armies if they are Swarm/hive mind. (Kill, devour and evolve)

Special mentions: Brotherhood of Nod (CAIN LIVES!), House of Ordos, Survivors (KKND), Imperial guard.

Extremists Bad guys with enlightenment vision and competent government forces story wise. Guess thats why C&C Tiberium series is so good in my opinion.

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No one has mentioned these guys yet...

Nod_logo.jpg

I've always been a huge fan of glass cannon type armies, high-rewarding if used correctly, focusing on hit-and-run tactics. Add flexibility and some special abilities (combat drugs!) and you get those lovely fellas:

Dark-eldar.JPG

I'm yet to try WH fantasy lizardmen, they seem to be pretty awesome.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Can I have some shoes?
Huh, I actually got that.

I like playing as the Dutch in games such as Conquest of the New World, Cossacks, Age of Empires III, CK2 and beating countries like England and France.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom