Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fate/Samurai Remnant

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Been playing this for the past few weeks.

The battle system is Dynasty/Samurai Warriors, but more focused and small-scale. If you like those games, you'll like this one. If you're a fan of Fate, you'll have fun.
The Fate series is known for adapting historical settings, so if you like being immersed in a setting that's 50% real history and 50% fantasy, you'll have a good time.

Pretty straight and oldschool in general, feels like playing a PS2 game at times.

Make sure you go max difficulty from the get-go.

Pros:
- Lovely environments and pretty faithful recreation of Edo Japan. It all feels alive.
- The MC isn't too bad.
- VO's really good.
- Interesting Fate waifus (expect genderbending and confusion).
- The Servants can be challenging at max difficulty.
- Combat is smooth.
- Nice animations.
- Cute colored pencil-like artstyle for the sprites.
- Interesting, fairly grounded story, despite the vast amounts of destruction and magic.
- The upgrade system can allow for some choice in builds.

Cons:
- There's a bunch of mechanics that aren't well explained, such as what stat does what.
- Quest markers and general tips that make certain parts of the gameplay trivial.
- Expensive.
- Everyone but the Servants is piss-easy to beat.
- Enemy variety could be better. There aren't too many mob enemy types.
- Confusing graphics settings (when you start the game for the first time, it will ask you about an FPS cap, which is apparently related to how powerful you THINK your system is - you cannot change this setting later).
- The graphics are, in general, pretty aliased. There's noticeable texture pop-in that's at its worst while navigating the towns.
- Crafting is, sadly, trivial. They could have developed it way better, but it's mostly a case of 'fight and acquire random ingredient -> use ingredient to upgrade'.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to keep up with the greater Fate franchise. I liked Zero and UBW which was about this secret battle royale conducted by mages in a moody urban Japanese city, and you had the story about mortal men trying not to despair as they inhabitl a sinful, fallen world where they cannot bring world peace through their own efforts. Kara no Kyoukai was okay. But the rest of the franchise seems confusing or feels like a meh cashgrab. You have the Illya spinoff. I watched that and then they walk in on each other naked and I turned it off. I think there is another battle royale one called Apocrypha which sounds like a boring retread. The gacha game sounds like more soulless cash grab. And with this game, it seems to be set in medieval Japan, but Lancer somehow shows up here? These servants are summoned by relics, and before a globalized economy and a black market that would allow mages to mail order relics, it would be highly unlikely for his relic to make it to Japan. Maybe Portuguese traders brought one relic, but relics for all of these servants from across the world? Incredulous.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I haven't been able to keep up with the greater Fate franchise. I liked Zero and UBW which was about this secret battle royale conducted by mages in a moody urban Japanese city, and you had the story about mortal men trying not to despair as they inhabitl a sinful, fallen world where they cannot bring world peace through their own efforts. Kara no Kyoukai was okay. But the rest of the franchise seems confusing or feels like a meh cashgrab. You have the Illya spinoff. I watched that and then they walk in on each other naked and I turned it off. I think there is another battle royale one called Apocrypha which sounds like a boring retread. The gacha game sounds like more soulless cash grab. And with this game, it seems to be set in medieval Japan, but Lancer somehow shows up here? These servants are summoned by relics, and before a globalized economy and a black market that would allow mages to mail order relics, it would be highly unlikely for his relic to make it to Japan. Maybe Portuguese traders brought one relic, but relics for all of these servants from across the world? Incredulous.
I agree with your sentiment on the franchise, but on the other hand, the basic conceit of the series has pretty much been Rule of Cool applied to mythological figures, which is fertile ground for excellent gameplay. I've played some interesting stuff related to the series over the years, mostly custom maps made by fans with too much time on their hands. I'm a big fan of the dynasty warriors formula too, so if this is actually as good as the reviews imply I'm all for it, even if the lore is retarded.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I haven't been able to keep up with the greater Fate franchise.

all you need is to read "learning with manga!" then just play fgo as deranged gudako and her lesbian harem.

comic_02_0.png

Crayll

Liturgist
Do you think the gameplay is tolerable for someone that generally dislikes Dynasty Warriors style combat?

Reinhardt

Arcane
humans and smol monsters are easily disposed. big monsters and servants are more interesting than usual musou fights.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Do you think the gameplay is tolerable for someone that generally dislikes Dynasty Warriors style combat?

Depends on what parts of Dynasty Warriors combat you dislike. Battling is definitely not as brainless as DW, but not too complicated either.
The game forces you to use all the stances, which is about as deep as it goes. You can also throw out fireballs and such, but you really don't have to.

It all flows well, but it's also very very anime, especially when you unlock the Void stance.

I'd say try it for an hour and get a refund if you don't like it, but it wouldn't be doing it justice, as the combat during the first few hours is really barebones.

But beating up things isn't all this game has, unlike DW. It actually has a nice story to follow and some interesting characters.

Edit: I realized I'd said 'The gameplay is Dynasty/Samurai Warriors' in the OP, that was misworded and a bit misleading. It's only the battle system that's like that.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Finished with a playtime of ~49 hours, having done mostly everything I could find. It's got a New Game+ that has skills, Servants and item carryover and adds a new difficulty mode. Really fun game.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Does this have couch co-op on any platform? Quick googling suggests that this is not the case, but seeing how a few musous I've played in the last few years had this option I'm still hopeful.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
which ending? btw ng+ has one more ending too.

I didn't even know there were multiple endings.
edit: False, actually, I did the Boss ending and reloaded once.

image.png

Does this have couch co-op on any platform? Quick googling suggests that this is not the case, but seeing how a few musous I've played in the last few years had this option I'm still hopeful.

No coop.

Reinhardt

Arcane
they added saber to grand order and announced first dlc for remnant to release in february.

Elttharion

Learned
0z2s65fo2qlb1.jpg

Yamato Takeru is a legendary ancient Japanese prince whose story is told in the KojikiWP and Nihon ShokiWP. He has sometimes been called "Japan's King Arthur" due to similarities in their legends.

images

Last edited:

Retardo

Learned
0z2s65fo2qlb1.jpg

Yamato Takeru is a legendary ancient Japanese prince whose story is told in the KojikiWP and Nihon ShokiWP. He has sometimes been called "Japan's King Arthur" due to similarities in their legends.

images
Is it that new Saber?
IIRC, original Saber girl in fate/stay night was king Arthur, so nothing new here.

Elttharion

Learned
0z2s65fo2qlb1.jpg

images
Is it that new Saber?
IIRC, original Saber girl in fate/stay night was king Arthur, so nothing new here.
Yeah, it is, the story treats his sex as a mistery until the end were they call Saber a 'he'. I edited my post as a spoiler too. Yes, Artoria/Altria is genderbent King Arthur. Its that I thought it was a cute girl and I am not a fan of femboys

REhorror

Educated
I need to get this game btw.
Heard many good things about it and I love the artist behind this (same mangaka behind Shimousa manga adaptation).

Reinhardt

Arcane
new raikou for me to roll in fgo. looks much better than in remnant btw.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I saw that there is a demo. I'll try it out during the weekend.

Puukko

Arcane
How exactly does the progress in the DLC get tracked? It told me progress would be lost if exiting and sure enough, the one mission I had done as Miyamoto went down the drain and it started from the beginning. But does it track when you clear each team's content, or do you literally have to do everything in there without ever leaving to do the main story inbetween? Really difficult to find an answer, no one seemed to mention this.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The new DLC will be out in less than a couple weeks. Wonder who the focus will be considering they're intentionally hiding the name. I'm thinking Musashi.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom