Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fate: Gates of Dawn

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
1. install winuae
2. put kick rom and the workbench disk into winuae directory
3. start winuae
4. paths menu -> rescan roms
5. floppy drives menu -> put into FD0: the workbench disk
6. hard drive menu -> Add Directory or Archive
Device name:fate
Volume label:fate
Path:c:\*dowloaddir*\fatehdok.zip (or you can unzip fatehdok.zip into a dir and use that dir here)
7. Configurations menu -> save the config
8. Start
9. on the desktop click on the fate icon
10. Play!
(you may setup the Display menu)

neilsouth

Augur
wow , thanks !

Have a drink on me :p

p.s I got the gamebase set working with winaue loader last night , well chuffed!. That's 2000 games WHDload and 1800 gamebase :shock:

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
What does the "Aid all" in the temple mean?
Why can't my Druidess make potions anymore? She cast the spell but it always fail.

(Alchemists can cast "Goldrain" spell so gold falls from the sky :D)

neilsouth

Augur
theverybigslayer , that method worked a treat!

Anyone got hold of the Hd version of Ambermoon? , supposed to be a really good rpg

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This used to be one of my favorites back in the day.

Anyone seriously considering a playthrough should get used to the thought that he won't be playing anything else for a year (if you are the "only one game at a time" type of gamer like me, that is).

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
001.png

I got this lady into my party!

002.png

This is a mature game!

Cranioclast

Novice
Argo follows Ghin.
Between Khort and Ghin is Rhey.

I think they went something like that. Need to see if I have my old paper with them.

Achmed1974

Novice
Recently completed the Bard's Tale Trilogy and heard this was like the Daggerfall of Wizardry type experiences. Can't say that hasn't been far of in terms of sheer size and exploration goodness. Just was wondering if there was a site that has any maps, guides or anything releated to this in english?

Achmed1974

Novice
I deserved the google bitchslap remark. Sometimes the best resource sites aren't on the first pages and thought I'd ask the dedicated hardcore since you'd know the best places. Wish I wasn't feeling crap today to play it more but enjoyed the first few hours. Just wish I could get the sound to work better off WinAUE. Thanks for the travel markers Mond however.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
:necro:

Reviving this thread, since crpgaddict is reviewing this game on his website and his latest post is overly positive.

https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2016/06/fate-combat-in-wilderness.html

Some key quotes:

-Combat is only one potential outcome of an encounter. The other major possibilities are a conversation--the mechanics of which I'll discuss next time--and just walking away. Aside from obvious rules, like you can't talk to animals, the game draws a blurry line between "enemies" and "NPCs." I routinely find that classes who are clearly primarily supposed to be enemies--robbers, thieves, padfoots, murderers, assassins, gral wizards, rain witches, and so on--are happy to occasionally have a chat instead. Some even offer hints or help one my characters increase an attribute. I rather like the approach and wish more games adopted it. It seem silly that literally every bandit or forsworn in Skyrim comes charging at you the moment he sees you.

-The way that the game handles throwing is unique and fun. Almost every weapon or shield can be thrown a short distance--maybe 6 to 10 yards. It's a great option when enemies start outside of melee range. The best part about it is that characters automatically pick up and re-equip the items post-combat. I would have given real money to see that happen in Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder. Oh, and if I want to reclaim those weapons during combat, my warlock has a spell called "Getback" that does it.

-Characters get experience for casting spells outside of combat, as well as for talking with NPCs. That's a great system.

-A fun thing happened in Laronnes. I found a fountain that immediately killed a character who drank from it. After that, none of my other characters would drink even when I told them to.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Based on his blog posts I've added Fate and Disciples of Steel (of which my first impression was very bad) back on my own play list.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
TvSe73V.png

YEEEEEEAAAAHH we running this now
:kfc:

Currently playing the most ridiculous one-man epic CRPG blobber ever made (and also FATE).

Made it through the first two parts of the catacombs, heading to the last with my 13 year old loli bosskiller.

Having general issues with the emulator. When I launch the game pre-configured it runs kinda slow. Movement is clunky and clicks are laggy. But when I exit to the config menu and go back--without changing anything--it runs overly fast, and I have to pull the CPU down 40% to get it to stop double-clicking everything. Amiga emulation, why are you like this?

Game actually gives me a bit of an SMT vibe, from being able to recruit all random NPCs to the AoE melee weapons. Wait, when did SMT come out? Maybe they stole from FATE.

Some highlights:

-Ventured into the catacombs with a couple lanterns that quickly ran out. Right as my last one was dying I ran into an Enchanter and recruited her, and she had a light spell. Saved my ass.

-Later that caster got fatigued by a spell, and promptly fell asleep. I tried camping in the dungeon but she wouldn't wake up. So to get light I had to get into fights until a monster hit her to wake her up, then cast the spell before she fell back asleep.

-Some sorceress cast the drunk spell on Winwood deep in the catacombs. This caused him to be useless in every fight, just stumbling around or giggling for every turn. If I tried to talk to an NPC for clues, it would always say "Winwood starts a fight instead", but he never actually did anything for the fight. An interesting implementation of booze in a game.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
If anyone wants the Winuae package let me know.

Finished the cave train quest, stopped off in Cassida for better gear--finally got my cleric some decent armor--and went to the next dungeon in Valvice. The encounter rate has become totally unreasonable--every other square in the Grotto has an enemy. They're easy enough to kill but they are one-shotting my team so I need to grind more. Even though I trained everyone's Skill to 40+ they still miss quite a bit. I'm guessing raw level matters the most.

It is fun how many ways the game has to improve your characters. The spell system is right out of Bard's Tale, only instead of 4 casting classes there's 20, though the spells are more redundant.

-You need a Magician early on to cast Strength buffs to pull Toronar (a level 19 warlock) out of a pit. After that you can ditch the magician since they suck. Toronar is a pimp who carries you through the whole first act.
-The offensive casters rotate through other offensive classes first, the support classes shift to other support, the healers get other healing spells first. So you don't get a proper "Wizardry Bishop" until very late or with tons of grinding.
-There's 3 spellbooks no one starts with. Elementary has very useful spells and is the second book that Banshees get. Angel has decent healing spells, Enchanters get it earliest. Enchanters have extremely useful exploration magic too, however Elementary has the best light spell and Banshee's offensive magic kicks ass, so I ditched my Enchanter after my Banshee reached a high enough level to switch spellbooks.
-Witches kinda suck but they do get to a mix of healing and offensive classes around the middle of their progression, which is probably earlier than any other class can truly become well-rounded. Warlocks e.g. don't learn any healing magic until they have like 150ish other spells first.
-Warlocks seem to have the best weapon selection among mages. They also get the Banshee book second so they rule. I'd say a long-term grind strat would be to make a second party of Warlocks to collect XP, and switch out all your casters to Warlocks once you get enough spell picks. Probably not worth the effort for a normal playthrough.
-Fairies and Nymphs learn the Master spellbook (strongest attack spells) the earliest, but it's still after 8 or 9 books. Fairies get the Calm spell, but Nymphs can revive people by making out with them. Nymphs also get the Regeneration Sphere spell, which is straight up busted. It just makes your whole team immune to damage and lasts SEVERAL combats. It does fail in later dungeons though.
-There seems to be some heavy armor that only Knights can use and some Rogue-specific gear, but the melee classes otherwise seem pretty interchangeable. Healers get the worst equipment selection, especially Nymphs who can barely wear anything. Having casters in the early game specifically is a liability-- Pro tip! Take any mages you recruit and dump them in a secondary party. They'll still get XP but with zero risk. Worth it for the first few levels when they constantly die in one hit.

You can get bonus stat points by talking to NPCs and asking for help. Some give one stat, some boost two. I found the game generates every NPC on the map all at once when the map is loaded, and they are seeded from the start who can join, who can boost, and who is hostile. Reloading the game generates new ones. Overall finding stat boosts in town is pretty hard. In the wilderness, the game generates an entire batch of NPCs from the same archetype. So if it generates wizards you will get nothing but wizard parties until the next spawn interval, whenever that is. It makes it a lot easier to run through NPC after NPC, toss them some cash, and ask for stats. I've gotten all my caster's stats up quite a bit this way.

Lastly there is an altar in the catacombs that awards bonus stats and spell picks based on a Dungeon Master-type system. I went ahead and looked this up and I'm glad I did. I's the same Warrior-Rogue-Wizard-Priest idea.

-To get Warrior points you need melee kills plus "dupes." (I think it's supposed to be like 'feint'). With the AoE weapons you can rack up kills easy but the faster characters tend to hog the kills. I found if I cast the Banshee Freeze! spell it makes Dupe work at 100%, and each Dupe counts for 8 kills. So a group of 20 enemies becomes 160 Warrior points for stat purposes.

-Rogue requires Throw and Shoot kills, plus Steal and Hide. Throwing is easy but only ever hits one enemy and you need a lot of kills to gain much here. Steal and hide count for 4 throws each; steal rarely works for me, and hide is one-time per battle. No real shortcuts here.

-Wizard requires magic kills plus 'gropes' (I have no idea). Like dupes, gropes count for 8 so that's the way to really rack up points but I haven't found an easy way to do this yet. Supposedly it's based on the Magic Power stat but it never works for me.

-Priest requires Effect spells, Items, and Enchant usage. Effect spells are anything causes status effects like debuffs so it's actually really easy to spam. Enchant can hit all enemies too but you need decent Charisma for it to work.

Grinding all these as you play unlocks a lot more spell picks and stat boosts for everyone so it's well worth it, but it's a mostly hidden system the game never even tells you about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom