Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Farcry 2

halasterbc

Novice
Hello. I remember ppl praising Farcry 1 long ago but never played it. Then i rented Farcry 2 and all you do is run for half an hour, have a 5 minute battle in a small place, then repeat. Does Farcry 2 suck balls comparing to 1? Does the first one use the same formula?

halasterbc said:
Does Farcry 2 suck balls comparing to 1?

Yes.

Far Cry 1 is a linear FPS set mostly in big open levels with some underground corridor shooter sections. Far Cry 2 is completely different, it tries to be all sandboxy and fails miserably at it.

SoupNazi

Far Cry 2 isn't all that bad once you learn how to enjoy it. I tried playing it like 6 times and each time I stopped after about 30 minutes because I found it boring. The seventh time I managed to find a scoped rifle and since then I started having fun playing with the AI, carefully planning my approaches and stuff. I played on the highest difficulty too so the planning actually became important. Yes the story is shitty and so is the driving around but eventually I learned not to take the missions as "gotta get to the mission as fast as I can!!!" deals. Instead I took my time and went through the land, eradicating every enemy checkpoint on the way through different ways etc.

In the end I really enjoyed it and ever fired up one of my mid-game saves from time to time just to replay one mission (some assault on an old train station or something) over and over. It's not really half bad as it seems.

Ermm

Erudite
Far Cry 2 has better environments, and contrary to Crysis , you can explore these areas and come back to explore a bit.

I didn't liked Crysis, becaue of cliched alien design, supercliched plot etc.
Why every graphical tech-demo game needs to be about Aliens vs Marines?
That alien base looked kind of cool though, but I had to reinstall Windows unexpectedly, so I never finished it.

And Far Cry 1 sucks.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Here we go again.

FarCry 2 is by far (no pun intended) the worst FPS I ever had the misfortune to play. It's shit beyond imagination.

Micmu

Magister
FarCry 2 is utter shit (not *the* worst FPS, though) and Rasputin is a dickweed.
Crysis is a short tech demo with 0 replay value, not worth buying.
FarCry 1 is Ok.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Far Cry 2 is ok.

I think the engine and gettup would be perfect for an RPG setup.

Micmu

Magister
Let's be honest, it's a piece of shit comparing to the first one and a mediocre shooter on its own (if not a bit below mediocre).

@OP:
Do yourself a big favor and play FC 1 first (it didn't "date" badly, btw).

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
How can you like FarCry 2 is beyond my understanding.

No, really.

A user named cat

FC1 was pretty good before the bullshit showed up and it turned into some irritating version of the Island of Dr. Moreau.

FC2 could've been decent if the game world consisted of more to do and there wasn't awful respawning. Such a headache. I also noticed one horrible similarity between both games -- the AI are fucking sharpshooters, even while acting braindead.

Clockwork Knight said:
Not really. It just has big, open maps.

And I thought all that driving around back and forth, collecting briefcases with diamonds and optional sidequests were a sign of it trying to be sandbox. Maybe I just don't know what makes that particular genre.

gromit

Arcane
The thing about Far Cry 2... well. It's the very epitome of a game people should at least try for themselves. It will either all click, click "well enough," make you cry over what should have been, or do nothing for you at all. Because it's so peculiar a game all the reference points in the world may not do you any good extrapolating what you'll get from it. Realizing this, spurred on by the last thread, I grabbed it, patched it up, and have been playing very on and off for a couple of months.

I merely find FC2 "good" which is my threshold for playable: even if my expectations have lowered with the times, it's still hard to hit my sweet-spot and I don't waste time on games that bother me. This is the most I've written about a game in quite some time, and it's rare for me to do so for a game that I don't completely adore. But FC2 is, almost inarguably, at least a very interesting design and attempt, so here goes.

Over all it's a very brave game (every one of which we should remember to occasionally praise, even if for that alone) and frankly there just isn't much else like it. This is really something in and of itself, especially when considering its origin as a AAA shooter (car repair jokes aside) and the less superficial of two follow-ups to a hit game. I mean superficial in a very literal sense there; Crysis amplifies the the jungle vistas, 80s/90s action-movie vibe, carefully funneled coast-line set-pieces, and notorious Sci-Fi plot-twist. FC2 takes on the subtler, less glorious task of stretching out the navigation, scouting, and planning.

One parent pulled in two different directions by its children. Nobody would be shocked to learn if FC2 was adopted or the result of an affair - it looks nothing like its dad - but you can tell they were both raised in the same house if you get to know the family. There is a lot from (or at least in common) with Far Cry, depending on what you wanted from it and how you played it I suppose, to be found and enjoyed in FC2. In addition, it has some clever ideas of its own, and its design approaches "modern shooterisms," like weapon limitation and regen, in a novel manner - almost always adding gameplay instead of removing it (but possibly still distracting from it, again depending on your hankering and approach.)

Don't get me wrong, the game is full of smacks to the forehead. Thankfully (at least post-patch?) most of them are absences and "could've beens," rather than anything in the game being flawed per se... but some of this does reach back and hurt the game. For example, the inexplicable lack of a simple "hand over mouth, slit throat" maneuver is a blight on the otherwise fantastic stealth. Infiltrating a base in broad daylight is an incredible experience, but if you sneak up a behind a target your ONLY option to bring them down quietly is a shot from the silenced pistol to the back of the head. The only thing you can do with your blade from there is a broadhand slash to the back of the head: he screams even if he goes down. Now you're not infiltrating - you're fucking surrounded. It's not a huge issue once you know about it, but it's still silly, and made a good three-quarters of the internet think the stealth was broken (he SCREAMED, they will hear it 20 yards away, this is what screaming is for.) If it was a balance issue, they should have just made you get be super-close, have pixel-perfect aim, and give the animation a long wind-up/down. And there are times I'd've liked to carry some of those bodies around, too, but... it's just not in the game.

Lots of stuff like that - omissions that don't necessarily wreck what's there, but will probably frustrate you at one point or another. This game reminds me of a non-existant one that I want more than this one, and it's easy to be cruel to those. There's the things which are huge jumps in scope, but would've fit right in and made the game downright amazing. Dynamic faction territory, or even battles. More C&C that extends beyond the task at hand. For what there is of that, to not have been wasted on a single, game-long set of effects determined by happenstance (or metagaming) that ultimately don't effect a whole lot anyway. I can see what they were going for there - you're fucked, your fate is luck of the draw, both sides are the same anyway, and you're not special enough to not shoot. I appreciate that they expressed this with the game itself (show don't tell and all that) but it seems wasteful in light of what could have been.

That said, I'm still playing it. The big empty map we'd all love to have seen filled up a little more does serve its purpose in that grants the distance necessary for some downtime, allows you to plot your own approaches, and gives you some wiggle room within them. You can go the long way around, lay in the bushes, mark out the surrounding with your binoculars, cook up a plan, and implement it. I can even say "fuck this, I need a bigger gun," high-tail it back to a safehouse, and switch out that flamethrower that was oh-so-good at rooting those other guys out of the brush, for an RPG to deal with those emplacements I can't find a way around without crossing into the sniper's FOV.

How much more the game could have let me do doesn't outweigh how much it lets me do that other games don't. Fuck, man, in this day and age most FPS refuse to let you out of a corridor. However, like most of the games I like, it is not without its shortfalls and confusions, and it's definitely not for everyone. But it is not the abomination it's generally made out to be.

spectre

Arcane
I really, really wanted to like Far Cry 2. I still fire it up every now and then.

Adding insult to injury, most of the really, really stupid shit FC2 does could have been easily fixed by a modder with the right tools.
Guess what, there ain't none, to my knowledge at least.

gromit

Arcane
Yeah. Figures, doesn't it? For all the perfectly complete (or unfixable) games that have full SDKs, this poor game can't even get a few tweaks that'd go a long way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom