Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 5 - set in the exotic open world of MONTANA

Deathsquid

Learned
I always found those too dull to use and just clubbed/bashed/stabbed everything with my manly murderstick.

Or threw my manly murdersticks at them.

Or shot murdersticks out of a bow until their bodies were filled with my manly murdersticks and they could take no more.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe I should reinstall the game.

Truly a game about a simpler time.

Ash

Arcane
throwing spears at people was fun, but I'd say FC4 > all the others mentioned easily, which has fun throwing knives and a bow anyways. Still somewhat popamole ofc but it's got to be only modern Ubisoft game I can stand. Hell probably the only modern open world action game I can stand. It is gameplay-centric and doesn't rely too heavily on cinematics and automation after all. Needs a good mod to remove the Ubisoft in it though.

Last edited:

Deathsquid

Learned
throwing spears at people was fun, but I'd say FC4 > all the others mentioned easily, which has fun throwing knives and a bow anyways. Still popamole ofc but it's got to be only modern Ubisoft game I can stand.
True and it had ornithopters and elephants as well.

Edit: I see some cavemen are upset I compared them to the population of Montana.

I'm sorry, ok?

Ash

Arcane
I dont think Blood Dragon was supposed to be anything like old shooters. Its more or less shorter version of Far Cry 3. I would say its some kind of improvement since 3 is overall to long with lots of typical of Ubisoft crappy side content.

Of course it wasn't. Gameplay is thoroughly compromised these days. But the point is it is offensive and further betrayal of game design history to pay tribute to old action movies and mock modern design conventions, yet ignore the old superior ways of action game design in execution.

Deathsquid said:
True and it had ornithopters and elephants as well.

Wingsuit. And the rare actually notable side content like the coliseum...most of it generally speaking still Ubisoft garbage though. But overall, the game is still way above Assassins Creed where combat consists of pressing a button and everyone in the surrounding vicinity instantly dies, or holding a different button and you've instantly navigated to the top of a building or over numerous obstacles in your path.

Meh, I forgot Dying Light. That's the best modern open world (non-RPG) action game.
I will justify that without going into detail, I will simply say that non-gamers/ultra-normies can't play it. My ex-gf plays Far Cry, GTAV etc and does fine. Dying Light made her rage quit on normal difficulty after dying five or so times in a row on the first mission. It's still easy by old school standards, yet there's a lot to love and I've experienced no better AAA modern open world action game (post-2007). It's a very enjoyable experience and very notable if you like platforming gameplay in particular.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Primal was good? Did we experience the same game, the one with shit such as infinite remote super owl popamole stealth attacks? It had some minor incline such as some caves that actually required half a brain to navigate and conquer, but other than that it was Far Cry and all the shit that entails where they replaced weapon diversity and customisation with boring OP cooldown AI companions (such as the remote owl stealth kills of doom, or sabretooth tigers that is just automated rape).

I never heard of the survival patch though, maybe that made a big difference.
On survival mode, you can't upgrade the owl cooldown on attacks and any group of cavemen can kill a bear or sabertooth tiger especially if there are leader enemies, if they die, you can't respawn them too and need to tame another one, a big no no if your tame is a unique as you will lose it forever, sending them into a well defended camp is guaranteed you will lose them. You die ultra fast too as you can't upgrade your life as you could on the normal game and enemies do crazy damage, one of the few games that made nights feel threatening as the spawn rate of predators skyrocket at night, first Far Cry game where I encountered a rare sabertooth tiger at night and couldn't manage to find a way to kill the damn beast (couldn't tame it too as I needed to damage it to half health and I was failing at that) and gave up as it just got on its merry way murdering a whole enemy hunting group (the game cheats as it isn't as powerful when it is you commanding it).

The behaviors of the animals is pretty impressive too, your hunter vision doesn't highlight predators at distance and the big cats love ambushing you, if you hear a roar at night, get the fucking moving or you will be dead because it is probably very near you and your shitty bow will only kill it with head shots, good luck with that. Wolves love to divide and attack you from multiple angles, panthers are fast, hitting and running, hitting and running, wining by attrition, sabertooth tigers will RAEP you especially at night. The infinite health regeneration only cover you a single health slot and you depend on meat to heal fast but basic meat only heal a single health slot, only meat with rare plants you can heal more so if you wanna hunt the rare animals at night, prepare to run low on meat as you will ran out, only later this stops being a problem. You need to worry with energy too as if the energy bar gets to zero, you can't aim for shit, move slower and can't use the infinite healing.

The only way I found to end the endless cycle of RAEP is by having a bear friend as it is easier to replace them than tigers, they scare the wolves and those fucking annoying dogs and work as tanks against the bigger animals. It is true, outside of survival more, you can play care free and the lack of diversity on weapons hurt the game but on survival mode, it is fun, I don't recommend buying at full price as it is still a Ubisoft game and get fucking repetitive as always but I don't regret the few bucks and the 10 hours I wasted at it.

Ash

Arcane
Another thing that made FC4 notable as a modern game was that you could turn off the mini-map (and some other popamole things), which increases combat difficulty and makes exploration actually natural and slightly more enjoyable, rather than just mindlessly running to all the loot icons on your minimap.

With a little modding of popamole gameplay FC4 could have a lot of promise.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I really don't know why people keep playing these games
More like why people keep playing games at all, of all the publishers, EA only is interested on online lootboxes, Activision is the same, 2k barely releases shooters, Ubisoft is the only publisher right now releasing single player focused shooters, not that they are brilliant games but compered with diarrhea like Destiny 2 and Battlefront 2, that gives you a perspective. It is like Darth Vader vs Hillary Clinton, you know they are both evil but there still something redeemable about Darth Vader.

throwing spears at people was fun, but I'd say FC4 > all the others mentioned easily, which has fun throwing knives and a bow anyways. Still somewhat popamole ofc but it's got to be only modern Ubisoft game I can stand.

Interesting, I've found FC4 to be even less fun than FC3 somehow. Last AAA Ubisoft game I could genuinely enjoy was probably Splinter Cell Blacklist, though of course that one also wasn't short on sins of popamole.

Ash

Arcane
Nah FC4 was minor incline over FC3. Branching path questline, no QTE bosses, a less annoying player character, the option to disable some popamole GUI elements (minimap in particular being by far the most important to make exploration not a case of running to loot icons!), NO fucking ultra commercial awful dubstep, the introduction of fortresses which provide a challenge outposts did not, introduction of new manoeuvrability options like the grappling hook + copters + wingsuit attained earlier on, introduction of throwing knife and additional weapons to add a bit of combat diversity. the Himalayas missions were a cut above the usual Ubisoft trash. The coliseum was actual challenging and worthwhile side content...the worst thing has to be those stupid Yogi and Reggie missions and the fact it's FC3 all over again just slightly better. And many of the side missions were mediocre as to be expected, at least until late game where the difficulty finally kicks in. And the fact it's still popamole at its core to some degree...but gud for what it is/way better than most popamole by some margin and actually gameplay centric.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Another thing that made FC4 notable as a modern game was that you could turn off the mini-map (and some other popamole things), which increases combat difficulty and makes exploration actually natural and slightly more enjoyable, rather than just mindlessly running to all the loot icons on your minimap.

With a little modding of popamole gameplay FC4 could have a lot of promise.

I'm sure you tried but did find any worthwhile mods for FC4? I absolutely loved Ziggy's Mod for Far Cry 3 but haven't purchased 4 due to lack of mods out for 4.

Ash

Arcane
I've not actually played any but I did have a browse a while back and apparently this one is standard: https://www.nexusmods.com/farcry4/mods/9

Adds a variety of weapon attachments back to the guns in FC4. Add suppressors, sights and extended mags to all your favorite weapons!

I'm assuming it lets you have attachments on guns that for some reason you couldn't vanilla, like the model 1887 and that fun starting vietnamese submachinegun.

I wouldn't worry about possible weapon balance disruption of course since any influence (if any) would be minor, and the vanilla game isn't balanced in that regard anyways what with being able to carry a shitton of mines, grenades and c4, grenade launcher with some 40 shots in your sidearm slot, and a .50 cal sniper rifle that when combined with the hunting syringe allows you to kill pretty much everything through walls with ease. with a suppressor on.

there's also some mods that seek to sort out the economy and general balancing also, but I cannot endorse any without any playtime or understanding. Mostly likely well worth looking into though.

I really don't know why people keep playing these games

I played them because my ex bought them and I thought I'd check them out, and because as far as modern games go, they're actually not that bad. A cut above the Ass Creeds, the GTAIVs the Batmans -- the modern majority. If there were a best of popamole list, FC4 would be in it. ...but that's because it's not that popamole to begin with, not being a regen health cinematic ultra linear cover shooter, and it being rather gameplay-centric for example, but it does certainly feature modern decline annoyingly present. It's just not quite as declined as most games these days overall. It's darth vadar, not Hilary. If you're a shooter fan in particular options are even more severe.

Last edited:
Meh, I'll take GTAs or Batmans over Far Cry any day. I can agree that it's better than Ass Creed despite having identical cancerous approach to sandbox design, because at least it's actually possible to die in Far Cry but at the end of the day it still bores the shit out of me. GTAs or Batmans (first two) have some charm at least.

Ash

Arcane
Batman can be pacified and then raped for all I care. With it's constant automation of gameplay and complete lack of engagement as a result. I'm aware it handled the comic book origins with taste and it's generally everything a batman fan could ask for...except the gameplay, which is popamole extreme. Like you said, at least in FC you can even die.

Ash

Arcane
Nah. We are prestigious gentlemen of fine taste on the codex, yet given the great video game famine of '07 and beyond, we lower our standards a little sometimes to stay up to date with current events and experience something new, as long as it isn't absolutely awful. FC4 is one such game. It's better than Cuckenstien: The Jew Order for instance! It's better than most modern garbage I'd say, while still being somewhat declined itself.

Also you are a storyfag, so don't talk to me about tastes in video games! Edit: damn you edited

FC4 is less popamole than most popamole, so it has appeal.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
GTA series after GTA 4, the gameplay became a superficial farse, the series since the change to 3d was always about scripted missions but there was a genuine challenge on those missions, after GTA 4, the scripting remained but the challenge evaporated, it is just an empty open world with terribly scripted missions as content, much worse than any of the Far Cry games or any Assassin Creed. The only reason most people still play it is because of the storyfagness and the LOL "parody" of the US, the gameplay jump the shark a long ago.

The Far Cry series has alot of the same flaws (the empty open world really apply here) but after FC 4, you can play most missions however you see fit and don't feel like a stunt man on a movie like on GTA with the director whipping your ass because you are getting out of the script.

Ash

Arcane
Agree, but worse than any Assassin's creed? Is that even possible?

DeepOcean

Arcane
People arguing which pile of shit tastes better,or less shitty.
Everything is shit nowdays boy, even developers that had a good story developing incline games are talking how the FIFA series attribute systems is the way of the future (No joking here.) and 9 on 10 blog posts of isometric RPGs developers all boil down how to make casuals that don't like RPGs to play them. We will all eat shit on the future because people that insist on liking games on the Lootbox Land are crazy and crazy people eat shit all the time.

The only reason most people still play it is because of the storyfagness and the LOL "parody" of the US, the gameplay jump the shark a long ago.

I play GTAs because it's the only sandbox series that I can have fun in without doing any missions or challenges at all. Meaning I can actually have a good time just taking a sports car/bike around the map, jumping around the hills and whatnot while admiring level of detail put into their maps that is yet unchallenged by other sandbox games. Yeah it's sure as shit not monocled gameplay but I can't deny I actually have a good time with it and GTA is the only series that does it for me. Of course I agree that gameplay got a lot easier since IV and I really hated that they allowed you to have multiple weapons in one slot in V. It's way too much and works terribly with multiple characters, when you are forced to switch between them and they change up selected weapons in slots when bots take control of them. The addition of superpowers was also not where I ever wanted series to go even if I had fun doing some amazing car stunts with Franklin's driving slow mo power. And don't even get me started with all the "unread" messages on the phone. Fuck you, videogame. On the other hand, driving is way more fun to me since GTA IV and that's not a small thing.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nah. We are prestigious gentlemen of fine taste on the codex, yet given the great video game famine of '07 and beyond, we lower our standards a little sometimes to stay up to date with current events and experience something new, as long as it isn't absolutely awful. FC4 is one such game. It's better than Cuckenstien: The Jew Order for instance! It's better than most modern garbage I'd say, while still being somewhat declined itself.

Also you are a storyfag, so don't talk to me about tastes in video games! Edit: damn you edited

FC4 is less popamole than most popamole, so it has appeal.
No game where you kill the second greatest person in the history of the world as nigger is a great game. Asscreed was always masked anti white/west propaganda,but most people played it because they can jump on other people with sharp pointy things.

People arguing which pile of shit tastes better,or less shitty.
Everything is shit nowdays boy, even developers that had a good story developing incline games are talking how the FIFA series attribute systems is the way of the future (No joking here.) and 9 on 10 blog posts of isometric RPGs developers all boil down how to make casuals that don't like RPGs to play them. We will all eat shit on the future because people that insist on liking games on the Lootbox Land are crazy and crazy people eat shit all the time.

There is no future other than RocketKim ;). If there is niche there will always be indi devs.

Ash

Arcane
Nigga back in our days there was more to GTA gameplay than just popamole combat and sandbox freeroaming. As shit an example as this is, you ain't experienced challenge in GTA until you've had to get all gold medals at the Driving and Pilot Schools in SA. :argh:

Most things across the board was more challenging in the old, anyhow. to an acceptable standard. Modern GTA lets you skip missions for goodness sake.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Nigga back in our days there was more to GTA gameplay than just popamole combat and sandbox freeroaming. As shit an example as this is, you ain't experienced challenge in GTA until you've had to get all gold medals at the Driving and Pilot Schools in SA. :argh:

Most things across the board was more challenging in the old, anyhow. to an acceptable standard. Modern GTA lets you skip missions for goodness sake.
I played those pilot school missions, fuck them. They don't make the game hard, you didn't even have to do all that Driving School nonsense to actually beat the game.

Now, skipping missions is decline but you're only offered that option if you die or fail too much. I hope you're not doing so in modern GTA

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom