Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fantasy war games?

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I know of fantasy general and saw it has a sequel now. I also know about fantasy wars and elven legacy.

Any others?

ValeVelKal

Arcane
The Shattered Alliance. Good luck finding older :

yltTTIR.png

https://zeitgame.net/archives/2233

ValeVelKal

Arcane
The Shattered Alliance. Good luck finding older :
https://zeitgame.net/archives/2233
Hey that's an interesting blog. Any more recent games you know of?
Not really.
- As you said, Fantasy General 1 & 2, Fantasy Wars and the 4 or so Elven Legacy for a Panzer Generalesque experience,
- Maybe the Crasleen Games : Warbanners, Drums of War, etc. I think the dev is on the codex

I suppose you are not interested in the Heroes of M&M genre (Kings's Bounty, Age of Wonders and alii).

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Apologies, I forget a HUGE and OBVIOUS one :

- Battle for Wesnoth.

Probably the best freeware (all genres combined) on the market. Hours and hours of gameplay. 15+ campaigns going from 4 battles to 20+. 7 factions with maybe 25-50 units by faction (including minor "attached" factions), PLUS campaign-specific factions plus zounds of unaligned units...

https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Play

Also a very active multiplayer scene if that's your cup of tea.

Close your eyes and dive into it.

Last edited:

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Good luck with your blog.

Btw what about sword of Aragon? Would you classify that as a war game?

Lagi

Savant
by war games you mean no economy, producing units?
Shields of Loyalty - however have opinion of poor balanced units
winter falling - small game, try it on web browser, then you can try this in-production : https://discord.com/invite/2JRjkku
drums of war - its older 2d game. tactical though
personally i think best fantasy war "feeling" i have from Caster of Magic (mod to Master of magic), it have bit of civilization like city building, but AI is so so aggressive (AI is the best i experience in any 4x), that i constantly thinking about it as a war game. I need to prioritize building eco structure or more units. i am scouting map for enemy movement, and secure my rear cities. and tactical combat is great as well, quick and on point, all in one screen.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
by war games you mean no economy, producing units?
Shields of Loyalty - however have opinion of poor balanced units
winter falling - small game, try it on web browser, then you can try this in-production : https://discord.com/invite/2JRjkku
drums of war - its older 2d game. tactical though
personally i think best fantasy war "feeling" i have from Caster of Magic (mod to Master of magic), it have bit of civilization like city building, but AI is so so aggressive (AI is the best i experience in any 4x), that i constantly thinking about it as a war game. I need to prioritize building eco structure or more units. i am scouting map for enemy movement, and secure my rear cities. and tactical combat is great as well, quick and on point, all in one screen.
Yes and hex based.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Also Fire Emblem games, if you are into emulation, or you have a friend who is (and has library with that stuff).

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Dominoins 5 takes way too much micromanaging. It feels like work.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I never played a grand strategy game but I would like to try to get into dominions at some point.
Dominions is not a grand strategy game. It's just a wargame, genetically derived from Master of Magic. There is no economy, various types of populations or whatever else that makes a game GS.

It can be after 2 or 3 game years. Learning the shortcuts helps a lot. It might go better if in a spinoff they abstracted a bit and modeled the non-commanders as groups instead of as individuals.

Gaznak

Learned
isn't there no tactical combat?
There is not, in usually implied meaning. But there IS a very clever and elegant combat simulation in 3rd and 4th games in the series.

Warlords series can be called 'strategic fantasy wargame' while Fantasy General and the like are 'tactical fantasy wargame'. If you prefer the latter, then you can seek at Slitherine, they have some (shitty though) of the kind.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
isn't there no tactical combat?
There is not, in usually implied meaning. But there IS a very clever and elegant combat simulation in 3rd and 4th games in the series.

Warlords series can be called 'strategic fantasy wargame' while Fantasy General and the like are 'tactical fantasy wargame'. If you prefer the latter, then you can seek at Slitherine, they have some (shitty though) of the kind.
Ok that's what I thought and yeah that's a fair designation to make.

Just a random thought, did you ever play the RTS Warlords battlecry series?

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I never played a grand strategy game but I would like to try to get into dominions at some point.
Dominions is not a grand strategy game. It's just a wargame, genetically derived from Master of Magic. There is no economy, various types of populations or whatever else that makes a game GS.

It can be after 2 or 3 game years. Learning the shortcuts helps a lot. It might go better if in a spinoff they abstracted a bit and modeled the non-commanders as groups instead of as individuals.
Oh ok, I was mistaken then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Gaznak

Learned
did you ever play the RTS Warlords battlecry series?

Of course I did, and do from time to time, and will do until Death do us part. Warlords Battlecry series (along with Total Annihilation: Kingdoms) are the best fantasy RTSs on this planet. And no, no Warcraft 3 here, for sure.

I could also add Kohan series and Rising Kingdoms to this mini-list, but WBC are my №1 anyway.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
did you ever play the RTS Warlords battlecry series?

Of course I did, and do from time to time, and will do until Death do us part. Warlords Battlecry series (along with Total Annihilation: Kingdoms) are the best fantasy RTSs on this planet. And no, no Warcraft 3 here, for sure.

I could also add Kohan series and Rising Kingdoms to this mini-list, but WBC are my №1 anyway.
I'll keep them in mind. Do you think I'll have any issues trying to run any of the Warlords games in windows 10?

Also did you play any of the older Warhammer turn based or RTS/rtt games like final liberation or shadow of the horned rat?

ValeVelKal

Arcane
You may have missed my answer but for fantasy tactical Battle for Wesnoth should have you covered for one year.

Final Liberation is excellent, but futuristic (Warhammer 40K). Shadow of the Hornet Rat and the second Warhammer Battle games are average-good ; they aged.

Another outstanding strategy game with tactical combat à la Heroes is Eador Genesis. I did not like Eador 2 though.

I ran the GOG version of warlords I II and III without problem recently (I was talking to their designer Roger Keating (with the late Ian Trout) and he wanted to play his old game he did not have any more).

Last edited:

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You may have missed my answer but for fantasy tactical Battle for Wesnoth should have you covered for one year.

Final Liberation is excellent, but futuristic (Warhammer 40K). Shadow of the Hornet Rat and the second Warhammer Battle games are average-good ; they aged.

Another outstanding strategy game with tactical combat à la Heroes is Eador Genesis. I did not like Eador 2 though.

I ran the GOG version of warlords I II and III without problem recently (I was talking to their designer Roger Keating (with the late Ian Trout) and he wanted to play his old game he did not have any more).
I'll look into battle for wesnoth, I think next time I play a strategy game I'd like to try Warlords 1. I've read that Shadow of the Horned Rat was one of the first RTT games and was very difficult. Have you played any of the Warlords Battlecry rts?

edit: Oh, when you said second warhammer battle games did you mean warlords battlecry?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Also Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat, Dark Omen and Myth -series if real time is acceptable.

edit.
There's also Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom