Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Fan Made Fallout Puts Out An Alpha.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Tigranes said:
What exactly is *in* the demo?

Jim Cojones said:
It's a single location with two guys. But it has well written dialogues for stupid character. I'd say it is better than F3.

It has everything Bethesda doesn't

Tigranes

Arcane
Seriously? I thought he was kidding. Sounds even smaller than VB techdemo.

Andhaira

Arcane
Could people just give it up already on thee retro remakes?

Why not work on something original? Look at the Baslisk Games crew; they were inspired with old school and came up with eschalon.

sheek

Arbiter
The Grimoire demo that I played had far more content than this so the comparisons are silly. Of course this alpha it apparently just calling for support to fix the mapping problems and has content (dialog, quests though they aren't implemented), but that content still looks minimal.

Hey guys give them a chance. They are going to release the actual planned alpha in a while, they just released this because the didn't wanna look like douchebags by saying 'we'll have the demo ready by tomorrow' until they finally got it ready.

Relax, it'll come sometime this fortnight. Are you guys really that impatient?

Tigranes

Arcane
What's the point of putting out an alpha in various degrees though? Okay, so you guys announced the release, but something broke and you couldn't. It happens. But I don't really get why anybody would like to download a 0.1... then a few days later download a 0.2... and so forth..

Oh well. At the very least, once those resources get implemented, we're looking at an alpha of a fan-made Fallout. And that itself is awesome.

mondblut

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
That's mostly because the man is programmer, and not a game designer. His perspective is that of the person who codes the game, not the one who sees the big picture, and works on the mechanics.

Pretty much every old game was designed by a programmer. And they did far better job at designing their dream games than the stand-alone game designers of today :)

If anything, he is not suitable for making a mathematical squad-based wargame, like Wizardry. He has started to see the game as interactive story book, and his mind is no longer on game design.

I guess that's why there was no news on Grimoire for the past 4 years.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
His mind is not that project, for sure. He is currently working on a multiplayer zombie shooter.

It's obvious that his taste in games has changed far too much for him to have the same enthusiasm in the project he once did.

If the game does come out (not that I am rushing him, let him take his time on his personal project), I very well might play it, because this is a man who was a part of Sir-Tech, and is a big Wizardry fan.

And yet, his integrity to oldschool game design seems doubtful.

mondblut

Arcane
"Integrity to oldschool game design", hmm.. You take these things too seriously. Making games of whatever kind is not some form of religious cult and martyrdom, it's just a job. Take Vogel, judging by his interviews he has zero "integrity" and pretty much hates the games he makes. He just found a niche and exploits it to make a living, rather than being some sort of an oldschool prophet on a crusade. So what, in the end we get from him the kind of games we want to play and that's the only thing that matters.

Oh well, I did play the last beta through and don't care anymore if Grimoire ever gets actually completed :) Too bad I didn't keep all involved necessary cheatcodes recorded somewhere.

On PC Grimoire is 12 years past its prime, that's for sure. But porting it for the handhelds would be a potentially major hit. The mobile platforms are early 90s PCs of today.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I don't take it seriously. I get that gaming is just a business. And hell, I can enjoy newer and older games just as much provided they are fun.

I think I was just running short of the right phrase to use...

But damn, that is indeed a very loaded phrase. "Integrity to old school design"? I would react the same way hearing it from someone else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom