Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout Online will be restricted to a certain age.

madbringer

Arcane
Nex said:
madbringer said:
No way in hell will it have permadeath. Maybe upon being "defeated" you will lose some exp and drop gold, i mean, caps :roll: but come on. What kind of an MMO addict would play a game where his carefully grinded out toon could die forever? It's just not how MMO's work, or modern games, for that matter.

Mutual consent, rofl. They should play Tibia. Now that was an experience i'd pay money to forget. :?

We can't have players having their feelings hurt can we. They should only take risks when they want to.

Can you even imagine a MMO featuring permanent death of the character you're playing? It kind of defeats (cha cha cha) the purpose. Even harsh penalties for dying are almost unheard of.

Yeah, and it's exactly what a company on the verge of bankruptcy is going to go with. LALALALAL PENIS PENIS PENIS PASS GO COLLECT 200$

a budda

Arbiter
Mister Arkham said:
I could really get behind an MMO with permadeath. Actually make reaching higher levels a real effort and forcing much more strategic gameplay.
:love:

Mister Arkham said:
I would subscribe to it and play it for the whole two months it would take for it to get canceled.
:smug:

anyway, i do believe it might be worth playing, this setting is the best one for mmo shit and you can't really spoil a retarded genre that much, well, never tried any mmos so far but if anything gets my vote it'll be it... whatever it turns out to be

oh fuck it, who are we kidding, we're each and everyone gonna play it at least quite a fcuking while... or two
and it might even be good

Mortmal said:
With that interview and my crystal ball i can already foresee what that game will be like...

You will select your characters amongst various archetypes, warrior, cleric, mage, warlock... err no wrong clone it will be melee type character , maybe savage tribe type, then instead of a mage youll get a gun centric character, no cleric off course but a doc, also no warlock but a tech class with droid pets(mr handy ?). The interface will be very similar to wow and you will use hotbars with abilities like power slam for melee, headshot for gunner etc...

You will gain level after level, lets say 50 levels by accepting random quests from npc with big question marks over their heads in successive quest hubs.
Kill 20rats type quests for early levels , kill 20 rad scorpions type quest for mid levels+ instances(raider camp,vault etc) and for high levels kill 20 supermutants.
They also plan an amazing quest to get your mount in this case : a cadillac.

No death at all, period! cause nowadays death is uncool , if the average joe dont feel he has accomplished something after his game session its a bad game, so instead we will have player defeat, wich means you will get up after 10 sec and get a whopping temporary 10% malus on your stats

Most of the content is soloable off course cause anything promoting player interactivity is bannable , except the mandatory end game raids, this time you will raid enclave guys or some master clone type with 15 other guys (cause more than 15 is not manageable for todays players)

Childrens beware!!! this game is rated mature 18+.. by USA standard, wich means theres maybe the hint oft he shadow of some pixelated tits!!!and lot of gratuitous gore.
It will be released full of the bugs, rushed unoptimized , sell around 500k units and the endgame content will be missing, but some will love it for what it is, alas it will only last a few months and be put on life support aka warhammer online.

Quote me in a year or two it will be exactly like this. Come on, they are not making an eve online in the wastelands, with deep and complex player interaction, they would already tell it.
Ill put my hand in the fire and back it up with photos on the codex if it turns out different.

[saves in word doc - name: 'Mortmal', promise: 'will put hand in fire and post photos']

I'm so calling you on this if you're wrong. I suspect you won't be, of course. But you better fucking hope it doesn't sell, say, 200,000 copies or 800,000 copies, because that's a big enough difference for a hand-singing.

A decision on vehicles has been made.

Meme-worthy. Next time someone accuses me of posting textwalls, I'm going to respond: 'A decision on textwalls has been made.'

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah not sure why some of you are assuming perma-death. The 'defeat' clearly implies when you reach 0 health you'll just 'pass out.' Not like it matters as this game will never be made.

Lebanese Warrior said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Yes, notice the use of the word defeat in the last sentence.

This pretty much means that you don't die, to those of you misinterpreting it as perma-death.

Metro said:
Yeah not sure why some of you are assuming perma-death. The 'defeat' clearly implies when you reach 0 health you'll just 'pass out.' Not like it matters as this game will never be made.

but then how do you explain

Death is death in the Fallout world and there are no Resurrection spells or magic wands that bring people back to life.

?

Eiher he used "defeat" as a synonym for player death (when you die, you are defeated!) , or he said the above for the lulz.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Clockwork Knight said:
Lebanese Warrior said:
DarkUnderlord said:

This pretty much means that you don't die, to those of you misinterpreting it as perma-death.

Metro said:

Death is death in the Fallout world and there are no Resurrection spells or magic wands that bring people back to life.

?

Eiher he used "defeat" as a synonym for player death (when you die, you are defeated!) , or he said the above for the lulz.

He is explaining why you don't "die", but get "defeated" instead when your HP is zero.

Basically, he is saying "Since dying is permanent in the FO universe, when the player HP reaches zero he is defeated".

Elhoim said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Lebanese Warrior said:
DarkUnderlord said:

Metro said:

?

He is explaining why you don't "die", but get "defeated" instead when your HP is zero.

Basically, he is saying "Since dying is permanent in the FO universe, when the player HP reaches zero he is defeated".

A neat compromise would be for the opponent to knock you out and drag you to their lair - so if it's an animal you spawn in its den, and if it's a person/mutant you spawn in a base. You're stripped of all your equipment, and have a limited amount of time before mobs come in to finish you off. Hence you have to stealth your way back out - made easier with the stealth skill, but possible by watching mob routines. Your gear will be in a guarded area, such that it is going to be very risky to try to get it back immediately.

As a mechanic, it provides a penality for death and a chance of permadeath if you fuck up really badly, but is still quicker and less frustrating than the old-style corpse runs.

ElectricOtter

Nex said:
Lebanese Warrior said:
DarkUnderlord said:

Yep, you will be knocked unconscious or something.
Knocked unconscious by a bullet to the brain. Ooh boy, I can practically feel the rage :smug:

Nex

Cipher
Azrael the cat said:
Elhoim said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Lebanese Warrior said:
DarkUnderlord said:

Metro said:

?

A neat compromise would be for the opponent to knock you out and drag you to their lair - so if it's an animal you spawn in its den, and if it's a person/mutant you spawn in a base. You're stripped of all your equipment, and have a limited amount of time before mobs come in to finish you off. Hence you have to stealth your way back out - made easier with the stealth skill, but possible by watching mob routines. Your gear will be in a guarded area, such that it is going to be very risky to try to get it back immediately.

As a mechanic, it provides a penality for death and a chance of permadeath if you fuck up really badly, but is still quicker and less frustrating than the old-style corpse runs.

Never happen. The crybaby majority would not stand for a possibility of them loosing their items, and devs would never make a decision which would bring them less income.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
madbringer said:
No way in hell will it have permadeath. [--]What kind of an MMO addict would play a game where his carefully grinded out toon could die forever? It's just not how MMO's work, or modern games, for that matter.

I dunno, about 5000 H&H players maybe?

Nex

Cipher
Haba said:
madbringer said:
No way in hell will it have permadeath. [--]What kind of an MMO addict would play a game where his carefully grinded out toon could die forever? It's just not how MMO's work, or modern games, for that matter.

No where near enough to be commercially successful tbh

Haba said:
madbringer said:

5000 units sold makes for a great little cult following game with a dedicated community, but you'd need around 100 times that many to break even on a professional MMO.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Azrael the cat said:
5000 units sold makes for a great little cult following game with a dedicated community, but you'd need around 100 times that many to break even on a professional MMO.

That is the main problem. Everybody is trying to make the same game and thus competes for the same customer segment.

And if by zero marketing, an indie dev can get active player base of 5,000... I'd wager that the demand does exist.

burrie

Scholar
Elhoim said:
Pretty much that, yeah. Lord of the Rings Online took a similiar route which works for a setting which has no resurrection for every John Doe questiing around. Basically, you don't have HP but Morale. If your Morale gets to zero or less, your character basically panicked, lost all sight of hope(and that LOTR-stuff) and ran away.

Which basically translates to respawning at a camp close to where you 'died'.

Angthoron

Arcane
burrie said:
Elhoim said:
Pretty much that, yeah. Lord of the Rings Online took a similiar route which works for a setting which has no resurrection for every John Doe questiing around. Basically, you don't have HP but Morale. If your Morale gets to zero or less, your character basically panicked, lost all sight of hope(and that LOTR-stuff) and ran away.

Which basically translates to respawning at a camp close to where you 'died'.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought it to mean too. Well-done perma-death would be interesting though.

Party wipes would cause a lot more butthurt!

Suchy

Arcane
WOW is the current industry standard. I'm not saying a developer should make their game based on WOW, but they should, at the very least, be familiar with WOW's content and mechanics. For any genre of game, it's important that game developers are familiar with the current crop of titles. I used to get reimbursed for my gaming purchases as a producer just so I could keep up with the competition. Neat.
(...)
I tried EVE for about 1 hour and couldn't hack it.
Welcome to the streamlined experience of neverending grindfest.

:rage:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Overweight Manatee said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
It only shows that MMORPGs aren't sensible worlds. Personally, I think that a model with perma-death where players can buy certain starting power (including equipment, contacts and skills) for real money could be interesting.

I think a Fallout-like combat system would translate well to MMO, if the new characters retained vital equipment but character death was still permanent. Some kind of inheritance system or something.
I think that basic characters should be simply spawned with basic equipment for their class.

Ruprekt

Scholar
Azrael the cat said:

You need that many buying the box on release. After that if you only keep 1 out of every 10 of them as a subscriber you aren't going to lose money and you'll still be able to fully maintain the game including new content.

LazyD

Liturgist
Nex said:
Gone are the days of old UO sadly. This new shit is just so bad I cannot understand why it is so popular.

I want my FFA, skill based, low/non grind, non item-based mmorpg. Player of this new crap should wear nappies and crash helmets. Great risk makes the game so much better, the adrenaline rush, the fear.

Don't forget full loot! :thumbsup:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I could really get behind an MMO with permadeath."

Not a 'true' MMO, this bestest game ever had this feature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom