Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout: New Vegas - Preview

chzr

Scholar
Jaedar said:
The only game I know of where NPC's have non-infinite ammo is DX(granted, I don't play a lot of shooters, and there's probably more out there). So until they get a set amount of ammo, applying weight to NPC's is meaningless.

silent storm (they could even pick up a new/better gun)

Topher

Cipher
Cut the crap we all know hunger's going to work just like it did in stalker.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Just drop the act altogether, man. We all know you're more than capable of contributing.

As to your two pseudo-points:

- Why are you comparing F3 or NV or any other RPG with any typical shooter in the first place? You think Obsidian is trying to up the difficulty in the ways a shooter would in order to appeal to shooter fans or something?

- Stats are abstractly simulating "dodging" those bullets a little? Your ability with your armor to absorb them some more? Take your pick and/or use your imagination. You're barking up the wrong tree with this at an RPG site. Duh.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
I believe that "Fallout: New Vegas" is perhaps the worst game out this year. Obsidian- or "Fagsidian", as I refer to them, has made the hardcore mode easier than the easy mode of a typical PC shooter.

I believe I am laughing out loud! I believe that this game will also let you take more than one bullet to the head before dying. As a less sophisticated poster would write, Obsidian can "go fuck a dog".

whathefuckisthishit

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Check Retardo Land. He tried to post basically that same post here in all caps, it got axed, so he thinks he's cute by de-caps'ing it.

Playing with a ban if you ask me.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
blobert is the smartest guy here. deleting his posts is an abomination

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You've been posting here for 2 years, how can you not know that BLOBERT is a parody? Though you shouldn't feel too bad, it seems as though Skyway also finally realized it in another recent thread.

Tycn

Savant
MetalCraze said:
What else to expect from people who can't even make ironsights right - there is still a goddamn crosshair even with ironsights.
MCA said it's only like that because it isn't finished. roofles

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Roguey said:
You've been posting here for 2 years, how can you not know that BLOBERT is a parody?

Please. Give me a little credit. I don't give a fuck what he does, as long as he restricts his retarded shit to GD. That's my only beef.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tycn said:
MetalCraze said:
What else to expect from people who can't even make ironsights right - there is still a goddamn crosshair even with ironsights.
MCA said it's only like that because it isn't finished. roofles

Sawyer also mentioned that the iron sights are toggleable from game menu. The one with the crosshair on is basically for those not wanting to use proper ironsights (or so I understood it), and the "true iron sights" (as I've heard them called) are supposedly like the ones that appear in your average FPS game - centered on the screen and without crosshair.

Drakron

Arcane
Crispy said:
One such tactic will be to hunker down and play the smart use of ammo thing. Thus, I'd like to know if their ammo is going to be limited as well. Otherwise, that's... pretty stupid then.

Well to start, its pointless to "bunker up" as the AI is not going to fire unless they have a clear shoot at you.

Now considering FO:NV uses FO3 engine, ammo is limited as FO3 did a trick to have enemies with unlimited ammo, they simply had a negative (-1) undroppable ammo clip that made it never run out of ammo, this is how robots worked for example.

Also FO3 enemies were relative smart, they were smart enough to pick up a more powerful weapon but I think they still failed to understand the whole "ammo" deal and so would never pick up ammo that leads to some potential issues.

If you do not give them unlimited ammo and shadow a patrol at one point they would run out of ammo and be defenseless, this would be a non issue if they were smart enough to go home and restock but the problem is they dont have a home, just a spawn point and a route they follow so you could just exploit the system and keep being on the same cell as them until someone or some thing got them.

Its a AI exploit, even if there could be ways to deal with that its still a exploit due to technical limitations and in some cares undesirable (like merchant caravans) as could have undesirable consequences.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO CRISPY TELL YOU WHAT ILL STOP BEING BROTASTIC IN SERIOUS THREADS WHEN EVERYONE ELSE DOES BRO YOU DONT SEEM ALL UP IN ARMS ABOUT THEM

BRO IN EVERY FALLOUT 3 DRAGON AGE ALPHA PROTOCOL THREAD AT LEAST ONE QUARTER OF THE POSTS COULD BE SUMMARIZED AS LOLOLOL BIOWARE OR OBSIDIAN SUCK CONSOLEFAG

I JUST WANNA FIT IN AND BE A BRO

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Drakron said:
If you do not give them unlimited ammo and shadow a patrol at one point they would run out of ammo and be defenseless, this would be a non issue if they were smart enough to go home and restock but the problem is they dont have a home, just a spawn point and a route they follow so you could just exploit the system and keep being on the same cell as them until someone or some thing got them.

I don't mean to argue with you at this point but this type of thing was handled relatively well with F3. I frequently was able to disarm supermutants, for example, and they would just take out their melee weapon and chase after you (or pick up theirs or another weapon). Just do the same thing when they run out of ammo in NV.

During the mission where you must protect the church members in F3, the same thing could also happen. If there were essential NPC's present, well, they would just go unconscious when they were subsequently defeated, and it was up to you to save the day. It was a little retarded but it didn't break anything.

I don't know what you mean about "being on the same cell as them until someone or some thing got them." If it means utilizing some solid tactics to outsmart a patrol, for example, well, that sounds cool! You'd still have to shoot them all and/or blow them up, so what's the problem?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
The hardcore mode in NV has many aspects from FWE mod for FO3; if it weren't there, it'd just get modded into NV as well, but it sure is nice to have something a bit more challenging available straight out of the box.

The one major improvement (since significant improvement in combat mechanics isn't really realistic, we're just stuck with the FPS'y crap now) I'd like to see in NV as opposed to FO3 is better towns. The ones in FO3 were ridiculously small and crappy, even Oblivion had vastly better ones. Rivet City was the only exception, and it should've been the standard.

Topher

Cipher
I don't know what you mean about "being on the same cell as them until someone or some thing got them." If it means utilizing some solid tactics to outsmart a patrol, for example, well, that sounds cool! You'd still have to shoot them all and/or blow them up, so what's the problem?

The game world is broken into cells, is it safe to assume you know what these are? Enemy patrols will run out of ammo not in a realistic fashion but because when they get low they have no way to go home, so to speak, and restock. Enemies will only get more ammo when the cell resets, every three game days for the most part, so if they don't have enough ammo to survive all that time they will die almost guaranteed; think about what this would do to caravans. The problem isn't with limited ammo it's with the fact that the AI is aggressive and stupid, it can't go get more supplies until the cell resets like the PC can and it can't really evade encounters.

Killing them after their out of ammo or simply looting their corpse after something else killed them because their out of ammo is less like planning and tactics and more like letting an enemy run of of ammo trying to shoot you through a door because it's too stupid to know it should stop because it can't hit you.

Sorry I lost interest in trying to explain this like half-way though so there it is in all my half-assed glory.

Drakron

Arcane
Crispy said:

Simple, if you leave the cell they vanish.

Everything only happens in the cell the player is present on, the rest is simply there for background until the player enters the cell.

Also its not outsmarting the patrol as they will walk the path without any regard to anything outside "fight enemies" as they will not retreat when facing a superior force, they do not retreat because they are too injured/few left and if ammo was not unlimited they would not retreat because they run out of ammo.

And they cannot retreat because there is no home base, its a endless patrol route.

Its "outsmarting" very basic AI commands that simply is walk down this path, engage the factions that are listed as hostile ... what so "tactical" about free loot? in Fallout 3 you only needed to follow the BOS patrols and help yourself to the Raiders they just killed and with "lucky" one or two would be killed (Missile Launcher Raider or Deathclaw at lower levels could kill them) and then you would have a nice suit of Power Armor (that likely you could not use anyway) for free.

In order to "outsmart" there must be some degree intelligence that you can outsmart, something that does not really exist on computer games but FO3 was very open to follow abuse because non-enemy patrols were not difficult to find and it was only a question of how long they could last and how long could you take of the boredom that was following NPCs at a distance down a road.

Now smart would be having patrols that had rest areas and unit rotation but you have the problem of the AI not knowing what "ammo" is so the problem stands, a way to solve it would be having almost NO enemy factions spawn areas along their route (besides easy dispatched animals, raiders know best to piss around a area the NCR keeps patrolling) unless certain events happen, I suspect FO:NR will not have Outcast "suicide" patrols or BOS "venturing into the death ruins" that were VERY stupid things.

Patrol areas SHOULD be safe areas for the player to be safe (or not, being on bad terms with the Legion and go right into one of their patrol areas is not a bright idea) and have backup in case he run into trouble, not a source of free loot.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Okay, I understand now and I do remember about how cells work.

Guess I never was one for exploiting that kind of thing. Probably why I never really noticed it.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
BRO CRISPY TELL YOU WHAT ILL STOP BEING BROTASTIC IN SERIOUS THREADS WHEN EVERYONE ELSE DOES BRO YOU DONT SEEM ALL UP IN ARMS ABOUT THEM

BRO IN EVERY FALLOUT 3 DRAGON AGE ALPHA PROTOCOL THREAD AT LEAST ONE QUARTER OF THE POSTS COULD BE SUMMARIZED AS LOLOLOL BIOWARE OR OBSIDIAN SUCK CONSOLEFAG

BLOBERT just wants friends, I'm here BRO :love:

Silellak said:
One major addition to the Fallout 3 template comes in the form of New Vegas' “Hardcore Mode” which can be toggled on and off from the menus at any time by the player
:decline:

It's not "hardcore" if you can fucking opt-out halfway through the game.

Who gives a fuck how someone else plays the game? Don't turn it off. Problem solved.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
BLOBERT said:

You can only really fit in with your parody persona around Skyway, bro. :) Everywhere else, well, there's always going to be poseur haters, but hey, no need to add to the list since you are capable of better.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
"FAGGOT FAGGOT FAGGOT FUCK A DOG"-style posts are spam and will be retardo'd on sight. Such posts contain always the same shit, with minor alterations. Spam. Don't spam the newsforum.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
BLOBERT: I know I don't post much on this forum but for whatever it's worth you're my favourite poster here. Sometimes I go into your profile and click on the 'show all posts by BLOBERT' link in case I missed anything good of yours.

I would be proud to call you BRO.

Quilty

Magister
Lord Rocket said:
BLOBERT: I know I don't post much on this forum but for whatever it's worth you're my favourite poster here. Sometimes I go into your profile and click on the 'show all posts by BLOBERT' link in case I missed anything good of yours.

I would be proud to call you BRO.

Oh man, I know how you feel. It's a shame he hasn't been too brolific lately. I mean prolific.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom