Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: New Vegas - first screenshots (not scans)

roll-a-die

Magister
Sceptic said:
I'll have to disagree with that. No NWN mod could fix the two worst problems with the game: non-stop crashes and corrupted saves, and terribad engine with clunky combat and no real party support. Even the good modules were a pain to play because of this.

I think you are thinking about the new shit. NWN 1 didn't crash nor did it corrupt your saves.

You also have a much greater degree of quality mods for NWN 1.

roll-a-die

Magister
DramaticPopcorn said:
Sceptic said:
DramaticPopcorn said:
Well, I don't see any reason, why is this game won't suck ass.
FFS, it's OBSIDIAN! They fucked up NWN and KOTOR franchises.
Impossible to do, both franchises were already beyond fucked up.

I liked NWN (not the original campaing... Holy fuck it was stupid). I liked multiplayer mode and toolset was the best kit for modmakers since FRUA. Second NWN's official campaing was even more stupid and buggy, but what they did to toolset just made my piss boil.
First KOTOR was at least enjoyable. And story was p. nice (as much as it possible for SW setting). Second KOTOR was just fucked up. Story didn't make any sense, a lot of dialogs didn't make sense, companions were typical clichés
The buggynes and dialog/story not making sense is because, well they had to cut almost a quarter of the game. An entire planet and tonnes of cut scenes due to time constraints set by Lucas Arts.

.Sigurd

Educated
roll-a-die said:
DramaticPopcorn said:
Sceptic said:
DramaticPopcorn said:
Well, I don't see any reason, why is this game won't suck ass.
FFS, it's OBSIDIAN! They fucked up NWN and KOTOR franchises.
Impossible to do, both franchises were already beyond fucked up.

I liked NWN (not the original campaing... Holy fuck it was stupid). I liked multiplayer mode and toolset was the best kit for modmakers since FRUA. Second NWN's official campaing was even more stupid and buggy, but what they did to toolset just made my piss boil.
First KOTOR was at least enjoyable. And story was p. nice (as much as it possible for SW setting). Second KOTOR was just fucked up. Story didn't make any sense, a lot of dialogs didn't make sense, companions were typical clichés
The buggynes and dialog/story not making sense is because, well they had to cut almost a quarter of the game. An entire planet and tonnes of cut scenes due to time constraints set by Lucas Arts.
I really liked the character background (especially Atton and Bao-Dur), and the plot is not extremely cliche like KotOR1.
The dialogues are also better than the ones from KotOR1.

The Wizard

Educated
roll-a-die said:
due to time constraints set by Lucas Arts.
now don't sell obsidian short, the upgraded minigames were their idea.

who even played those more than once? the pod race thing was horrible in the first kotor, and adding a jump button didn't really help at making it better.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
roll-a-die said:
I think you are thinking about the new shit. NWN 1 didn't crash nor did it corrupt your saves.
I'm not, it's NWN1 I'm talking about. I've seen the same crashes and save corruptions on 3 different systems over the years, no two with the same combination of hardware, and each using a different patch version. NWN2 didn't crash on me once and apart from some minor glitches it runs cleanly with the latest patch.

Multi-headed Cow

You must be living in bizzaro world if NWN2 is stable and NWN1 isn't.

roll-a-die

Magister
Yeah NWN 1 only really has issues when it's a pirate version/cracked.

I've played NWN 1 since release with very few crashes that were the games fault. Only 1 corrupted save but that was because at the time my ram was faulty.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
ScottishMartialArts said:
Narrative coherence does fall apart pretty spectacularly in the last quarter of the game though.

This always gets thrown around when talking about KotOR 2 but I've never found the game particularly incoherent beyond the obvious examples of the cut HK-factory and Malachor V, which hardly make up a quarter of the game. Perhaps you could explain further?

roll-a-die

Magister
Scores of dialogue with handmaiden, Atton, Kriea, Visas. There is evidence that you could train Bao-dur as a jedi. The planet of robots was supposed to have another jedi than the one on Korriban. Ehm the HK factory was supposed to have some exposition on where Revan went and where the HK's fit into it. The end sequence on Malchior was supposed to be twice as long with more exposition by kriera. The second meeting with handmaidens mistress was also cut short.

They basically had to cut the entire end sequence into a quarter of what it had been.

roll-a-die

Magister
I could have sworn that had been cut out. I always played full dark-side that's probably why.

.Sigurd

Educated
roll-a-die said:
I could have sworn that had been cut out. I always played full dark-side that's probably why.
Bao-Dur is a light-side character, if you chose the dark-side patch you gonna have a bad rep with him.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
roll-a-die said:
Scores of dialogue with handmaiden, Atton, Kriea, Visas. There is evidence that you could train Bao-dur as a jedi. The planet of robots was supposed to have another jedi than the one on Korriban. Ehm the HK factory was supposed to have some exposition on where Revan went and where the HK's fit into it. The end sequence on Malchior was supposed to be twice as long with more exposition by kriera. The second meeting with handmaidens mistress was also cut short.

They basically had to cut the entire end sequence into a quarter of what it had been.

That explains what was cut, and I am well aware of that, but it doesn't make a quarter of the game incoherent. Much of what was cut, as far as dialog goes was not vital to the story, except for Malacor V and the HK-factory.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
roll-a-die said:
Yeah NWN 1 only really has issues when it's a pirate version/cracked.
NWN1 hasn't needed a crack for a few patches now. Didn't improve stability, and as I said this was on 3 completely different systems (in 2 different continents too)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Bah! away with you all. The multi-headed Gaider was right and I seem to live in a parallel dimension where NWN2 runs like a charm and NWN1 is an unstable piece of shit. I think I have the better half of the deal too: you can keep your real world and your stable HOTU, I'll keep my bizzaro world and my stable MOTB :smug:

roll-a-die

Magister
Lockkaliber said:
roll-a-die said:

That explains what was cut, and I am well aware of that, but it doesn't make a quarter of the game incoherent. Much of what was cut, as far as dialog goes was not vital to the story, except for Malacor V and the HK-factory.

Ahh it would have been much better had it not been cut and had obsidian given it a longer beta cycle before going gold. Expository details would have been a bit more plentiful and the story would have been a little bit better.

Am I the only one who liked swoop racing and pazzak?

I have a question though wasn't dantooine bombed to hell like taris and Carths planet? How were we able to walk on it much less meet the jedi council there?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Lockkaliber said:
ScottishMartialArts said:
Narrative coherence does fall apart pretty spectacularly in the last quarter of the game though.

This always gets thrown around when talking about KotOR 2 but I've never found the game particularly incoherent beyond the obvious examples of the cut HK-factory and Malachor V, which hardly make up a quarter of the game. Perhaps you could explain further?

It's been long enough since I played KotOR that I can't remember specific examples. Nevertheless, I do remember becoming increasingly confused and uncertain of what was happening and why, from when you meet up with all the Jedi Masters on Dantooine, and Kreia kills them, to the ending.

.Sigurd said:
roll-a-die said:
Bao-Dur is a light-side character, if you chose the dark-side patch you gonna have a bad rep with him.

Unless you guide him along to the Dark Side as well, which isn't really all that hard. Considering he starts out with some obvious repressed rage issues, anyway.

Problem is his 'Dark' self looks like someone scribbled on his face with magic marker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom