Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fallout Developer Profile: John Deiley

Briosafreak

Augur
Please wait until Switzerlad-England finishes, then carry on with the dispute. I`m trying to send you the popcorn over the net but there seems to have some problems with that, Astromarine, sorry :)

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
StraitLacedDeviant said:
Dgaider said:
I'm not saying I necessarily agree with everything rosh said, but dgaider, your reply was cheap even by flame standards. It neither owned nor slam dunked. Read his post again, think about it mull it over, then post something worthy.

Meh. There's no actual communication possible with Rosh, so what would make a worthy response exactly? He has an obvious agenda and he'll rip apart whatever I say regardless of what I say. I'll just try not to get covered in dog-slobber in the meantime. :)

Insofar as a supposed Fallout MMORPG goes, I never defended it. The massively multiplayer genre right now is completely devoid of any actual role-playing merit as it stands, and putting Fallout in such a milieu would be as much a travesty as would doing the same to Shadowrun. I'm not so hopeless to believe that an MMORPG could never be something more (though obviously Rosh does), but it seems unlikely that the innovations required could ever happen with the current mindset in the industry (and I don't count 'Tale in the Desert' ...I played that for a short while, and while it is innovative it happens to also have no conflict and therefore isn't likely to appeal to many regardless of its relative maturity).

And my point was only that even if Mr. Deiley was thinking along those same lines, he certainly didn't have a chance to expand on the idea. Like what I was thinking for Shadowrun, a Fallout massively multiplayer game could be great is done right... but whether or not that would (or could) ever happen is a different matter altogether.

And, incidentally, since Rosh mentions it, calling someone naively hopeful is not the same as calling him 'deluded', an 'idiot' or questioning his skills as a designer... which is exactly what some others were doing earlier and was what I was responding to.

So is that a more worthy response? This is the part where Rosh comes in with his mighty agenda and goes on about what an idiot I am and how badly D&D is implemented in every Bioware product (as if I had anything to do with that or if that had anything to do with the conversation at hand) and so on ad nauseum. So the point is questionable, though thankfully there are some here who can debate reasonably regardless of the background noise.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Astromarine said:
cala-te com as pipocas, aqui na Suiça não ha pipocas decentes.

Os meus pêsames :(

StraitLacedDeviant said:
thats all I could get out of babel on that.

Astro was telling Briosafreak to not mention popcorns, because there in Sweden he reckons there are no decent popcorns, and he misses ours (in Portugal). He also told the so-called civilized countries who only have salty popcorns in their theatres to more or less pike off.

Thats pretty much it. That'll be 5€ for the translation, tho'.

plin

Liturgist
Dgaider said:
StraitLacedDeviant said:
Dgaider said:
I'm not saying I necessarily agree with everything rosh said, but dgaider, your reply was cheap even by flame standards. It neither owned nor slam dunked. Read his post again, think about it mull it over, then post something worthy.

Meh. There's no actual communication possible with Rosh, so what would make a worthy response exactly? He has an obvious agenda and he'll rip apart whatever I say regardless of what I say. I'll just try not to get covered in dog-slobber in the meantime. :)

Insofar as a supposed Fallout MMORPG goes, I never defended it. The massively multiplayer genre right now is completely devoid of any actual role-playing merit as it stands, and putting Fallout in such a milieu would be as much a travesty as would doing the same to Shadowrun. I'm not so hopeless to believe that an MMORPG could never be something more (though obviously Rosh does), but it seems unlikely that the innovations required could ever happen with the current mindset in the industry (and I don't count 'Tale in the Desert' ...I played that for a short while, and while it is innovative it happens to also have no conflict and therefore isn't likely to appeal to many regardless of its relative maturity).

And my point was only that even if Mr. Deiley was thinking along those same lines, he certainly didn't have a chance to expand on the idea. Like what I was thinking for Shadowrun, a Fallout massively multiplayer game could be great is done right... but whether or not that would (or could) ever happen is a different matter altogether.

And, incidentally, since Rosh mentions it, calling someone naively hopeful is not the same as calling him 'deluded', an 'idiot' or questioning his skills as a designer... which is exactly what some others were doing earlier and was what I was responding to.

So is that a more worthy response? This is the part where Rosh comes in with his mighty agenda and goes on about what an idiot I am and how badly D&D is implemented in every Bioware product (as if I had anything to do with that or if that had anything to do with the conversation at hand) and so on ad nauseum. So the point is questionable, though thankfully there are some here who can debate reasonably regardless of the background noise.

haha, He'll probably try to take apart your post word for word and write a thirteen paragraph flaming pile of bullshit because he has nothing better to do.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Plin, if you were registered at NMA you can guarantee that you've just now been banned.

MY NAME IS ROSH, I SHOT SOMEONE ONCE SO THAT MAKES ME RUFF AND TUFF. <3 rICHARD GARRIOT

plin

Liturgist
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Plin, if you were registered at NMA you can guarantee that you've just now been banned.

MY NAME IS ROSH, I SHOT SOMEONE ONCE SO THAT MAKES ME RUFF AND TUFF. <3 rICHARD GARRIOT

No I'm not. But if that's true he's even more lame than I thought.

<3 PLaNE SCAPESs TORMENT IS My LOVEAR!!! OMG

Dgaider said:
Snippity..

Fair enough, I have to say I disagree about fallout ever being acceptable as an mmorpg. MMORPGs rely on the other players to be reasonable thoughtful human beings, which never happens. Apart from that Fallout is a distinctly personal experience and effects everyone differently, that kind of depth and impact that made everyone love it so, and foam at the mouth to anyone who says different, would be lost.

Rosh

Erudite
Dgaider said:
Meh. There's no actual communication possible with Rosh, so what would make a worthy response exactly? He has an obvious agenda and he'll rip apart whatever I say regardless of what I say.

Or rather, I will tear apart whatever bullshit excuses you post. Just like with your "exponential" garbage, you come up with excuses rather than actually doing some effort. Saint got that one neatly covered, and it was amusing to see you try to use it again later after it got debunked, but I'll cover your ignorance of the Fallout setting and MMORPGs, especially when discussing the combination of the two.

I'll just try not to get covered in dog-slobber in the meantime.

That's amusing, since you're the one who has been chasing one too many parked cars in this discussion. There's also an obvious puddle in your keyboard from the sheer uninvolvement of your brain's use in the discussion.

Insofar as a supposed Fallout MMORPG goes, I never defended it.

Liar.

He didn't necessarily mean "I think Fallout would make a cool MMORPG if done like every other MMORPG out there right now" ...it's not impossible that you could have a gritty and realistic game of that type if you had certain things in it like permanent death and so forth.

Forgot you posted that little bit o' stupid, didn't you? Not only did it prove that you're lying, you've also pointed out that you're just as clueless as every other pro-FOOL shmuck.

The massively multiplayer genre right now is completely devoid of any actual role-playing merit as it stands, and putting Fallout in such a milieu would be as much a travesty as would doing the same to Shadowrun.

"If done right." The problem is, there is no "doing it right", as with one way you're fucking the setting over. The other way, it's now a slightly more appealing version of the more popular MMORPGs out there, maybe.

Why the hell are you going to bring up Shadowrun as some example before (and inclusive with Fallout), but then later call it a bad idea in current terms? Mind you, this is after you posted your bullshit lie. Are you forgetting to converse with some context within the industry currently and in the probable future?

There's a reason why UO had a very different character core character system from that in Ultima. The setting likewise had to be changed to suit the type of gameplay. Otherwise, the backstory would have to be very contrived to explain the player presence.

What's "backstory"? Remind me to teach you the meaning of that term sometime later.

I'm not so hopeless to believe that an MMORPG could never be something more (though obviously Rosh does),

Now you're mouth-stuffing. Try to read what I wrote again before you make yourself into an more pronounced flaming retard. I simply said it wouldn't be feasable in the market currently and that the market isn't really that interested in niche products like that. It's too complex and different for most of the crowd.

but it seems unlikely that the innovations required could ever happen with the current mindset in the industry (and I don't count 'Tale in the Desert' ...I played that for a short while, and while it is innovative it happens to also have no conflict and therefore isn't likely to appeal to many regardless of its relative maturity).

Then you have to also figure in The Sims Online. People aren't going to want to pay for an overglorified chatroom when there really isn't any gameplay behind it. On the same line, people aren't going to waste time on social skills when they could put points into a weapon skill. Many aspects of Fallout, especially as Saint as pointed out with speech, would simply not work in a MMORPG environment. While someone added points to speech, someone else put points into guns. Welcome to Fallout Online. You're now dead. By the same person who mowed down the guards. Sure, we could make them invincible or make them respawn, but that wouldn't really fit into the Fallout universe. Nor would the cities stay there if they were killed off.

Damn, it seems like you just can't win against someone who has been involved in the topic for longer than you've drawn a paycheck for "design".

And my point was only that even if Mr. Deiley was thinking along those same lines, he certainly didn't have a chance to expand on the idea.

Did you even bother to read my previous reply, or just post some sniveling copout (as predicted)?

I've already addressed your bullshit reasoning above. Please re-read my previous post for the reply. It truly is annoying when you don't bother to read and instead post some drivelous garbage in some defense. I do suppose I could make a parody character of Special Ed, in your likeness instead, spouting off "I make games! Yaaay!" I do have problems fitting in the lying and inability to understand something a little more complex than what is available with the Darkstone editor.

Like what I was thinking for Shadowrun, a Fallout massively multiplayer game could be great is done right... but whether or not that would (or could) ever happen is a different matter altogether.

Yet again, you continue the pathetic lie. You also have used the same tag line as every FOOL supporter, "could be great if done right". Sorry, but it wouldn't resemble anything like Fallout's setting because of the core differences in the mechanics. Even if you discounted the player base, there would still be many aspects of the universe that wouldn't work in that schema. You've posted this garbage, now I suggest you back it up. You are a "developer", so it shouldn't be that difficult for you...if it wasn't actually impossible to have it "done right". It wouldn't be great one way or another, conceptually or fiscally, so you might want to clarify your claim that it could be great, unless you were talking out of your ass, as usual.

Again, like most FOOL supporters, even with your brand of attempted sleazing by that you're not really defending it, you post empty waffling and empty logic. Are you so far out of touch with reality that you don't expect straw man logic to be torn down? My apologies if this isn't your forum and you aren't being treated like a god, but as you might want to note, I'm a fair bit more in touch with the conversation than you are. Your hyperbole and spin is typical, if not exactly impressive, and provided a couple of moments worth of amusement before it became completely clear that you were trying to bullshit your way through the debate.

Hey, if you're going to whine about having to defend the garbage you wrote, then why are you participating in this "debate" (as you've called it) while actually not really participating? Which is it going to be? If you're looking for a bit of debate and a difference from the usual verbal cocksucking orgy that's the BioWare forums, then by all means, post. If you're not going to, then why are you bothering to post? Go back to your fanboys and leave that kind of mental disease out of here.

Without trying to re-invent the language like Excuse Boy is attempting to do, a person who is naively hopeful at their job DOES have high doubts as their ability in that job, in addition to pointing out doubts as to understanding desgin. Sorry, David, but keep digging. You might find oil someday, but today's not your day.

So is that a more worthy response? This is the part where Rosh comes in with his mighty agenda and goes on about what an idiot I am and how badly D&D is implemented in every Bioware product (as if I had anything to do with that or if that had anything to do with the conversation at hand) and so on ad nauseum.

Face it, David, you're posting with nothing more than empty logic. You post some ludicrous conclusion that could only be accepted if you really tried hard to ignore your initial post in this thread. Now you're just making the typical excuses you're becoming known for, instead of addressing the point in which you decided to share with us. You got a reply, one that pretty decently answers your illogic, and you have to predictably play the victim, ad nauseum. Maybe if you didn't resort to excuses to otherwise cover up your lack of talent or ability to understand the concepts, you might not be so ill-treated. I'm not goiung to verbally suck you off because you are a developer. You are nobody impressive to me and the fact that you have to resort to excuses makes you even more pathetic to any consideration you might have had in the eyes of some here.

So the point is questionable, though thankfully there are some here who can debate reasonably regardless of the background noise.

Irony is the definition of the pathetic dodge attempt you just tried. You want reasonable debate, don't post your unreasonable excuses.

Plin: It's called a debate. Someone decided to publicly post something stupid (much like you do on a regular basis) and got called on it. Again, this should be most familiar for you.

Drone666

Novice
cheetos always good six pack our choice of the content. it is possible to make fallout a mmorpg just obviously dont rush it use as mcuh time needed to figure it out to where it kicks ass so much or get to a place it can do that.

played fallout 1 and 2 loved them to death still do. also final fantasy has online version ff11 its good game so it is possible to do it out of a non before online game. would want it to be better than ff11 obviously. and on the respawns thats what the random enocunters were constant respawns could lvl off them if did enough. fallouts story is great but cuase it is was a one time really only relaes with no new stuff unles sequel.

Online companys develpors can constantly add test ideas out and add keep the storyline etc goin. other than exhausting everything even with all the hidden stufff in rpgs. The point online stuff can be added. online fees the games that are bought proably or do equal the time etc for non online games. Too much info aobut the whole system to put here would take forever.

EVE is a realistic sci fi gritty sorta could take hints off eve and other games but eve has alot of simalraties. Eve space mmo

point it is possible

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Dgaider said:
a Fallout massively multiplayer game could be great if done right
I always liked the "if it were done right" line. What? You think there's a chance a game might be good if it wasn't done right?

By that token, I think NWN would've been a good game. If it was done right, that is. Pity it wasn't. OH WELL (how much more money would have to have been thrown at it to do it right? 10, 20, 100 million?).

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Drone666 said:
it is possible to make fallout a mmorpg just obviously dont rush it use as mcuh time needed to figure it out to where it kicks ass so much or get to a place it can do that.

No, it's not. Trust me, this has been debated to death. Just to make something remotely like Fallout, you'd have to remove many of the things that made Fallout what it is and what makes it great.

Like I've already pointed out, there's several of the skills that just won't work in an MMORPG, especially the social skills like Speech and Barter. Those are constructs for dealing with nonplayer characters, not player characters that have free will. You're never going to convince some l33t kiddie from popping you with his plasma weapon just because your character sheet shows you have a 138% Speech skill. That's not going to happen, ever. Likewise, you'll never convince that same l33t kiddie to sell you that plasma rifle cheap because your Barter skill is 143%. He'll trade you whatever he thinks it's worth regardless of what your character sheet says.

There are other skills that are flakey in an MMORPG setting. Steal is one. If you can only steal from NPCs, there's not much point in an MMORPG. If you can steal things from players, what happens then? Is PvP allowed for everyone? If you can't kill anyone that steals from you, then you're going to have problems with people overusing that skill because the consequnece of failure no longer exists. If you can kill just anyone, you're going to have problems with the game turning in to a deathmatch game.

Here's another thing, what would the Charisma attribute do? In Fallout and Fallout 2, it determined reactions as well as how many followers you could have. Well, as I pointed out with the Speech and Barter, that's just an arbitary number to most other players. They won't give a crap about it, so it's not going to allow you to make people near you like you more. Also, in an MMORPG, there are no followers. You might have parties, but how are you going to use that attribute to enforce the party size? Do you even want to deal with the problems of limiting the size of parties?

Likewise, Intelligence in Fallout determines options for dialogue and reactions. You'd still have the skill point thing with it, but other than that, it wouldn't do nearly what was done in Fallout and Fallout 2.

Hell, I could go on and on with all the problems with a FOOL, but the gist is that you'd have to gut pretty much everything and all you'd end up with is something that just has a few placed Fallout trademarks.

also final fantasy has online version ff11 its good game so it is possible to do it out of a non before online game.

Final Fantasy is also drastically dumbed down compared to Fallout.

Rosh

Erudite
Drone666 said:
point it is possible

Point, you're a living argument to require government registration before having offspring or even considering the attempt.

taks

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Hell, I could go on and on with all the problems with a FOOL, but the gist is that you'd have to gut pretty much everything and all you'd end up with is something that just has a few placed Fallout trademarks.
yeah, in the end, it just becomes a different shell for an online RT message board. instead of fantasy, it's cyberpunk. new guns to shoot instead of swords to swing... oh boy...
taks

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
taks said:
yeah, in the end, it just becomes a different shell for an online RT message board. instead of fantasy, it's cyberpunk. new guns to shoot instead of swords to swing... oh boy...

That's another problem with a FOOL, being post apocalyptic like Fallout was, how could you divide out the rewards like Power Armor and Plasma Rifles, things that are highly rare? Would they even bother making those rare since everyone would want a set of Power Armor and a Plasma Rifle?

People keep thinking they can take something as rich as Fallout and make it in to an MMORPG, and it'll be the Fallout experience with their friends. In reality, it would probably be a bunch of twinks sitting on a virtual hill in their power armors waiting for the supermutants to respawn so they could rush them for ph4t XP.

taks

Liturgist
all that and you SILL have to get over the presumption of "if it's done right." :)

hehe...

taks

Don't forget when they release the addon you'll get
Mega Super Advanced power Armour MArk Three with the alien blaster rifle gatling tank. Ooooh my munchkin sense is tingling.

GreenNight

Liturgist
Well, not taking sides on this debate but I've found this amusing
StraitLacedDeviant said:
MMORPGs rely on the other players to be reasonable thoughtful human beings, which never happens.
Easy solution, Fallout is post-apoc, so everybody only looks for himself. Make free PvP for all, and then...

Noob1: H3lp! I want 1tems!!!
SaintFallout takes a shoot at Noob1
SaintFallout's shoot DISENWOVELS Noob1
Noob1 is dead
SaintFallout: Lif'es a bitch, huh?
Role-Player: Excuse sir, you've got a nice rifle. Perhaps there's something in my belongings that may interest you.
SaintFallout takes a shoot at Role-Player
SaintFallout's shoot ***DESINTEGRATES*** Role-player
Role-Player is dead
SaintFallout: Yes, there might be something on your corpse good enough for me.
HerveLord materializes here
HerveLord: What are you doing killing people?
SaintFallout wields The Codex
SaintFallout attacks HerveLord with The Codex
SaintFallout's swing ****ANIHILATES**** HerveLord
HerveLord is dead
SaintFallout: Here, take a piece of reason.

(sorry had to do it :lol: )

Rosh

Erudite
Check this out.

Yeah, I can just see McLarens in a post-apocalyptic environement, with turbo systems and everything.

Alfred is also a "financial advisor" of 33 years and has played Zork! Therefore his kitchen sink design of poor MMORPG dynamics is just and right! Well, it might have looked good on paper, but after that it reads like a bad amalgam of Battlefield: Earth and Terminator 3, but the Sci-Fi channel's low-budget version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom