Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout as a setting is retarded

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Fallout was good, op is not
Fallout was good, but it was just one good game, then a bunch of declining quality. People obsessing about that one game (and New Vegas) and never playing tons of other RPG's (like most fags on NMA) is absurd.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Fallout was good, op is not
Fallout was good, but it was just one good game, then a bunch of declining quality. People obsessing about that one game (and New Vegas) and never playing tons of other RPG's (like most fags on NMA) is absurd.
Playing New Vegas for about the 100th time, still finding stuff including in the DLC mods.

His Dudeness

Augur
@op

Despite the faith you have in your own opinion, reality has shown over and over again that logic has little to do with human behavior. It is sluggish to take an outsider's position and judge a video game's content just because it doesn't match your expected scenario.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OP's mother was retarded. And not in a good toothless ghoul kind of way either.

.Pixote.

Augur
If Fallout 2 removed the talking deathclaws, leave them in Vault 13, but just make them normal killing deathclaws - I think the game would be better for it. And no deathclaw companion (super stupid). As for the quests in Vault 13, there are none, the player kills the deathclaws, grabs the GECK and makes their way to the vault computer, watches footage of the Enclave snatching the vault 13 inhabitants, makes their way home to the Arroyo...continue on with the game as is.

Same for the deathclaw at Navarro, just a vicious killing machine they tried to tame, that need to be put down. The silliness the devs added to the game didn't improve the experience IMO.

The vault 13 map could have different lighting conditions, darker moodier, more fitting of an abandoned vault.

kuniqs

Novice
I played Fallout 2 first, and was like 9 then, so all the goofy popculture references never bothered me. Years later got to play Fallout 1 and was weirded out how serious and grim it is.

Fallout 2 was so damn buggy on release, maybe more than Fallout 3 lol.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Lost in the pages of time is the spiral bound instruction manual/guidebook which accompanied the original FO1. Not only was it entertaining in its own right, it helped compliment the game by providing more history and lore. Absent that item, eh, I suppose I could see things from the OPs unoriginal take, as it wasn't part of the game, but it was part of the package that was FO1.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Fallout could be interesting game if they took more dark and realistic approach, now it's just outdated unplayable mess
Fallout 1 and 2 were pretty dark, grimdark even, but they were also characterized by their goofiness and humor. Technology moved forward, but not the culture (which was stuck in a 50s period stasis).
Bethesda Fallout is shit. Interplay Fallout was a believable post apocalyptic setting.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Lost in the pages of time is the spiral bound instruction manual/guidebook which accompanied the original FO1. Not only was it entertaining in its own right, it helped compliment the game by providing more history and lore. Absent that item, eh, I suppose I could see things from the OPs unoriginal take, as it wasn't part of the game, but it was part of the package that was FO1.
Agreed, great manual.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
No pdf of it with STEAM or GOG?
There is a larger question of "does anyone really read manuals anymore?" but the smaller more pertinent questions is: "did the OP read the FO1 manual?" which we all know the answer is no.

(oh, and the answer to your question is yes - there is a manual available with each version.)

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I was trying to replay F:NV, and I just can't get over how fucking silly everything is. I played the OG Fallouts as a teen and I've never seriously replayed them, and I know why now. The whole premise is just too pants on head retarded. Fallout is great for its roleplaying mechanics, but the setting is beyond help.

I'm not even talking about logical inconsistencies here. I'm talking about the basic elements making up the setting, the layers of it. First there's the 50's sci-fi, which in itself has always been retarded. And not in a charming way. Fight me over this. Then there's the pop culture references and humour, which is not an aside but really another layer, because it's a consequence of the first element. Devs were like "we know this is silly, we get it lololol you don't get it!!". Maybe if they had gone with actual, hard sci-fi it wouldn't be as cringey. Still, even the 50's sci-fi elements might have been tolerable, if they hadn't tried to marry it with post-apoc on top. These three layers never really coagulated into a cohesive whole. They stand side by side and it's jarring. And every game builds on these shortcomings and adds more shit that just stands out and feels weird.

tl;dr Fallout as a setting is retarded but would have been tolerable if it was just one game

inb4 there are no Fallouts after the first

You just have a fried pineal gland because all computer games and settings are spazzy now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom