Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout and Daggerfall character creation

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Frost and Fire Daedra are like two of the top 5 most commonly encountered critters on higher levels, Wyrmie. And IIRC, Ancient Liche and Vampires often used poison spells and also is in that same top 5 but I might be wrong about that.
I see. Thanks. I was about Level 11 or Level 12 at the last area in the game.

I recall you saying that certain skills in the game get useful after Level 30, but I have not had the chance to get anywhere as high. I never made the kind of money required to summon a daedric prince either. Either a specific build is required to gain levels and money quickly or Daggerfall requires lots of time spent just to get to the juicy stuff.

MCA
Heh. There are certain stores and residences that spawn expensive stuff. You can rob them blind daily and make a fortune in no time. For instance, check the light brown two-story residence to the NE of Mages Guild and North of the cemetery in city of Daggerfall:

DF-Guildhall_DB.png

On the map. It also becomes a guild house for one of the guilds once you join them. There are about 7 loot spots in it (not containers ala cupboard, closet etc! Don't fuck with containers or the guards will get you). There's often magical and very expensive items in one or two of them and even if not, otherwise expensive misc. items.

I've also marked with red circles two buildings to the east of there. Two smithies. They, along with the general store and the other smithies in the market, are great opportunities for midnight robbery. You will need high lockpicking or a unlock spell to make it in without getting caught. You will be swimming in money in no time.

Alternatively, just borrow max. amount from a bank in a distant district. You will become a criminal if you don't pay back in time but fuck them anyway. Crime is local.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
GOD DAMN! How did you find one lone house like that in the middle of hundreds of houses?

That's pretty cool. The old crowd must have played the hell out of this game to even spot things like this.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yx1Sq.jpg

Jesus, THAT's a fucking city! Not 5-10 houses and a fort! I never played Daggerfall as the procedural genrated stuff and scale made it sound generic and dull but seeing that there are massive fixed locations like this I'll have to remedy that pronto. :salute:

Captain Shrek

Neither.

My favorites are the one from DnD 3.5/3 games and Drakensang games. The latter are bad at design of gameplay though.

MCA
GOD DAMN! How did you find one lone house like that in the middle of hundreds of houses?

That's pretty cool. The old crowd must have played the hell out of this game to even spot things like this.

You don't play Daggerfall. You live and breathe Daggerfall. A dog bark here, a cat meow there, soothing town music and enjoying a stroll through the medieval urban make-believe. I know most of the city templates like the back of my hand. In fact, I know the back of my hand even less.

The thing is, when you're working for guilds, working to up your skills and trying to make some quick dirty money, you get to spend a lot of time running back and forth between fixed spots, like guild houses, taverns, stores, so all that stuff gets ingrained in your mind.

And then there were magical moments like returning to the city at night time from a quest so you find yourself out by the city gates with some shit coming at you in the darkness from the wilderness, getting scared and adrenaline rush to survive and then scaling the walls to enter the city, sometimes near death and checking your map to find the nearest tavern and making a run for it, hoping you won't get fucked by ghosts and wraiths if you're in Daggerfall city.

I've yet to play any other game with as much exciting emergent situations.

Someone make an Assassin's Creed RPG already and call it a spiritual successor to Daggerfall. If only that game had modding support like that of Beth games. If only...

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Daggerfall was Assassin's Creed long before Assassin's Creed was Assassin's Creed.

Climbing up walls, leaping from building to building, hiding in an urban environment from guards - Bethesda did it long before UbiSoft even thought of it.

MCA
Yx1Sq.jpg

Jesus, THAT's a fucking city! Not 5-10 houses and a fort! I never played Daggerfall as the procedural genrated stuff and scale made it sound generic and dull but seeing that there are massive fixed locations like this I'll have to remedy that pronto. :salute:

I always bought that little cute house directly to the North of Fighters Guild. Great view, small enough to get in and out fast enough and also generally good logistics, though it was a bitch to get to the Mages Guild and back when I needed to. I'd really appreciate it if one of the houses by the two smithies I marked were available.

MCA
Daggerfall was Assassin's Creed long before Assassin's Creed was Assassin's Creed.

Climbing up walls, leaping from building to building, hiding in an urban environment from guards - Bethesda did it long before UbiSoft even thought of it.

Heh, not really. Hiding? Not unless you count outrunning the guards or invisibility spells. You could climb buildings to escape pursuers but not hide from them. Unless it was night time and you had maxed out sneaking. But yeah, as far as vision goes, old Bethesda were true visionaries.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I recall you saying that certain skills in the game get useful after Level 30, but I have not had the chance to get anywhere as high. I never made the kind of money required to summon a daedric prince either. Either a specific build is required to gain levels and money quickly or Daggerfall requires lots of time spent just to get to the juicy stuff.
Even if you had the 200,000+ gold to summon a daedric prince, you had to somehow find out the correct day of summoning + even then it was still possible that the daedric prince would refuse to appear. :smug:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Even if you had the 200,000+ gold to summon a daedric prince, you had to somehow find out the correct day of summoning + even then it was still possible that the daedric prince would refuse to appear. :smug:
While browsing the Mages Guild library, I found a book called The Invocation of Azura. It listed all the dates.

Luckily, it was 5th of Suns Height when I browsed the library. 10th of Suns Height was the next one. So I rested 5 days. Since my current newly created character was Wizard of the Mages Guild, it cost him only 110,000 gold, all paid in letters of credit (he had 180,000). Vaermina was summoned. She sent me to kill a lich.

Since I always use Invisibility, Feet of Notorgo, and Anchor-and-Recall for every dungeon, the whole process took less than 2 minutes. I had the Skull of Corruption in my hands for less than negligible effort.

I guess I was wrong. It's not difficult. It's surprisingly straightforward, can be done without metagaming, and is over as soon as it starts. The only catch is money. But even that's not an issue if you have the rank. I guess it is not difficult to complete every single daedric quest in a single playthrough without using exploits.

MCA
Oh one of the quickest ways to make outrageous amounts of money in a really short time is to craft and sell magic items at the Mages Guild. And of course, to grind that Mercantile up!

BTW, if join a knightly order and raise to the top rank, they give you a house which you can sell. But beware, there are numerous knightly orders per region and you can only join one and the house you'll be given will be in that city.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Man, this Daggerfall Skull of Corruption is fun. Making duplicates of enemies over and over until chaos results. I can't wait to use it on Ancient Liches.

It's way better than the boring "Dream Stealer" in Skyrim.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The problem with Daedric artifacts in Daggerfall is that they have limited uses and will eventually break.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
The problem with Daedric artifacts in Daggerfall is that they have very limited uses and will break fast.
Fixed.

They are fine as a "collect them all" kind of achievement though. Then you can put them in your house. And then, standing in your useless house among your useless unique items you're hit by a worse disease than lycanthropy or vampirism, you become the very reason why the series will eventually go down the shitter.

I know, I did it. :oops:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The problem with Daedric artifacts in Daggerfall is that they have very limited uses and will break fast.
Fixed.

They are fine as a "collect them all" kind of achievement though. Then you can put them in your house. And then, standing in your useless house among your useless unique items you're hit by a worse disease than lycanthropy or vampirism, you become the very reason why the series will eventually go down the shitter.

I know, I did it. :oops:

Stop the self-pity. Collecting uniques is one of the more awesome aspects of the Elder Scrolls games, and one of the things missing in the post-Morrowind Bethesda era. Oblivion and Skyrim artifacts are shit compared to those of Morrowind and especially Daggerfall, and there's no treasure-hunting involved - no vague descriptions of a landscape a la Morrowind, or having to find out Deadra summoning dates and a witch coven a la Daggerfall.

You just feel like a boss when you finally manage to summon a Deadra in Daggerfall and get a quest by them. You just fucking managed to summon a Deadra! And it was really expensive and took you some time to figure out!

This is the shit that is missing from modern Bethesda games. Making finding artifacts feel like an achievement instead of leading you to all the artifacts by magic quest compass.

mondblut

Arcane
Oh one of the quickest ways to make outrageous amounts of money in a really short time is to craft and sell magic items at the Mages Guild.

Wut?

Depends on the base item, I guess. As far as quality armor/weapons go, a preenchanted daedric something sold in a store costs one tenth of a non-enchanted one. Yup, you've read it right. Which is absolutely retarded if we speak economics, but in practice makes sense as far as game balance goes. You don't need some shitty "feet of notorgo" daedric pauldron, you need a clean and pure daedric pauldron to make a cool custom "everyone dies the moment I show up in the location, also heals me completely, also summons Azura and makes her suck me off" daedric pauldron, so non-enchanted stuff becomes infinitely more valuable the moment your custom spells get better than the generic shit.

But for items like used condoms and shitstained bits of cloth, they might indeed get more valuable once enchanted :smug:

MCA
Try enchanting expansive jewelry with maxed out magic skills.

But you might be correct, in the end it could be that it's not any more expensive than vanilla items. Gotta see for myself again.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
By the way, is it just me, or do seasoned Daggerfall players find a way to complete even large complicated dungeons in one or two minutes?

My (general) methods are a) ignore rooms, b) keep running down hallways and corridors, c) only open a door if it seems to lead to a large giant room or a ramp, d) if there is a high place you can reach by levitation, forget everything and levitate there first, e) if there is an underwater place, go there first, f) pull every lever, skull, or torch (even when they can't be used), and g) go through every teleporter. One modification - if the quest requires killing a special creature, only enter a room if you hear an unusual sound from inside. This general technique filters out all pointless running around, and seems to quickly direct me to the target. I give 75% of the dungeon a miss, and quickly get where I need to get.

Plus, I always use Invisibility and Feet of Notorgo. And Recall. Like everyone else, of course.

But you might be correct, in the end it could be that it's not any more expensive than vanilla items. Gotta see for myself again.

The question then becomes: who the hell wants to wait until they get maxed magic skills to make money in daggerfall? I'll take a letter of credit worth 1,000,000 gold as soon as I get out of Privateer's Hold, thanks.

Wyrmlord

Arcane

The question then becomes: who the hell wants to wait until they get maxed magic skills to make money in daggerfall? I'll take a letter of credit worth 1,000,000 gold as soon as I get out of Privateer's Hold, thanks.
From which obscure province? Menevia? Betony? If you become a criminal debtor in that province, it's going to cause problems, right? You may still have to do main quest missions in those regions, and then a dozen Nightblades will appear to kill you every time you revisit the place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom