Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout a better RPG than Oblivion according to Gamerhelp

Lingwe

Liturgist
Gamerhelp made a list of games that defined their genres. Fallout was their choice for RPG.

http://www.gamerhelp.com/article_viewer ... _id=131040

Most RPG titles have you duking it out as a knight or a mage in a fantasy setting rife with clichéd monsters like dragons and orcs and trolls, oh my!

I know. Here is a good example of one.

But not so Interplays Fallout, a breakthrough RPG title that was set in a memorable setting: post-nuclear holocaust Earth. The narrative drive of the story was nothing new--a 'chosen one' ventures forth to save the world--

"chosen one" as in "picked the short straw" as opposed to "seen in my dreams" and "save the world" as in "save the vault", you know I would kinda list the narrative as one of the unique things about Fallout as well.

but the presentation was something else: dark, gritty and visceral, the stark landscape of the atomically cleansed landscape was as inhospitable as it was compelling. Add in the unique S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stat system, the interesting, varied mission types and compelling narrative plot and you've got one of the finest PC-RPG experiences ever created.

And it is good to see that the industry looked at all those features and then decided that the Baldur's Gate series would sell better.

The game saw one sequel before parent company Interplay shut its doors but fear not: the franchise is currently in the capable hands of Oblivion creators Bethesda whose track record gives us all hope that Fallout 3 will continue on in the irradiated footsteps of its predecessors.

Uhh...their track record would actually suggest that Fallout 3 is going to be their dumbest game and worst RPG ever but I suppose that Xboys would actually consider that a good thing.

Yes, we know hardcore PC RPG nuts will no doubt lament the choice of Fallout over other notable titles like Oblivion

Lol.

and old school fare like Ultima and Wizardry but a great PC RPG title should provide a large and compelling world to explore, a cast of interesting and varied people to interact with, the chance to really step into the shoes of your character--you know, to "role-play"--and a varied and interesting set of tasks with an overarching narrative that propels you constantly towards a satisfying conclusion. These are things that the original Fallout accomplished in all ways and it still stands as a shining example of a PC RPG title done right.

It looks weird to see a gaming journalist write something that makes sense. It is such a shame that they are so blinded by free trips and advertising revenue that they can't match their description to the actual game they want.

Honorable Mention: Planescape: Torment; Oblivion
Worthy Heir: Fallout 3

It is kind of bittersweet that Fallout is recognised as being a great RPG yet placed next to Oblivion.

Raapys

Arcane
You have to wonder if the journalists are given another Oblivion game than the one Bethesda are selling to us gamers.

NiM82

Prophet
Yeh, they get the "bribery enhanced edition". It's like the CE, but the box is full of $100 bills and expenses paid trips.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Honorable Mention: Planescape: Torment; Oblivion

It's strange how to some people it seems perfectly normal to mention PS:T and... that other game in the same sentence.

P.S.: How is Halo 2 more influential than UT or Quake when it comes to Multiplayer FPS?!

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
That's actually a good list. I would only make 2 changes.

Multiplayer FPS: Team Fortress 2
Survival Horror: Silent Hill 1

Micmu

Magister
Mediawhore said:
The game saw one sequel before parent company Interplay shut its doors but fear not: the franchise is currently in the capable hands of Oblivion creators Bethesda whose track record gives us all hope that Fallout 3 will continue on in the irradiated footsteps of its predecessors.
It's pathetic how they try to cash in Fallout's greatness to hype that Fallout 3 abomination, which seems to be an entirely different game.
Never gets old!

Slylandro

Scholar
A good list, I wonder how a list of seminal (the other "genre defining") games would look like, in contrast. I'm guessing that slightly more than half of the list would stay the same which is kind of sad.

Micmu

Magister
Jaime Lannister said:
micmu said:
xedoc gpr said:
Yes, I can't believe that they like a different game than we do.
Is it following the footsteps if it's different? Especially in genre.

GUYZ IF IT IS FIRST PERSON IT IS NOT RPG ARENT I CLEVER
Action RPG vs. PnP-like cRPG. OMG FPP STRAW MAN AGAIN ARENT I CLEVER

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
micmu said:
Jaime Lannister said:
micmu said:
xedoc gpr said:

GUYZ IF IT IS FIRST PERSON IT IS NOT RPG ARENT I CLEVER

You said genre, not subgenre. Straw man? I said it was still an RPG, and you agreed.

xedoc gpr

Scholar
micmu said:
xedoc gpr said:

So they liked Fallout for a different reason than we did. What's the big deal?

Deleted member 7219

You're all wrong. All you need for a game to be an RPG is for it to be set in a medieval universe. Oblivion is an RPG, as is Fable. Fallout is set in the future, so is therefore not an RPG.

Severian Silk

micmu said:
I prefer Action RPG vs. Tactical RPG, as even Action RPGs can have PnP-like role-playing. A similar argument is made here, except in the context of strategy games.

pug987

Scholar
It's good to see Fallout get the pinaccle rpg spot but at some other categories his choices are awful:

God of War as the best action and not even a mention of Prince of Persia? Even Sands of Time was better than God of War 1 (and God of War 2 was worse than 1).
Company of Heroes as the pinaccle of RTS????? What about Starcraft, Red Alert, Age of Empires, Dune 2, etc?
A baseball game the pinaccle of sports games? Who the hell plays baseball? I don't know about the USA but in Europe people go to sleep and wake up thinking of football (soccer, not the american football).
Halo 2 as the best multiplayer fps? Has he even played counterstrike or Unreal Tournament? They may not be as good (I don't know if they are) but they were certainly much more influencial and popular as multiplayer games.
And does he make up gaming genres? What the hell is Rythm and Light Gun?

There other categories where I don't agree with the author's choice but that's not the point. It's just that the above strike me as very odd choices.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
This guy is really something, to suck two cocks at a time - how Section8 would say... "Most impressive".

Keldorn

Scholar
The only reason why they chose FO over Obl is because FO3 is an upcoming title, whereas Obl2 is not.

It's clearly a commercial strategy.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Matt7895 said:
You're all wrong. All you need for a game to be an RPG is for it to be set in a medieval universe. Oblivion is an RPG, as is Fable. Fallout is set in the future, so is therefore not an RPG.

You are right! I can see clearly now, gone are the clouds that forced me to dwell in darkness for so long...

The only reason why they chose FO over Obl is because FO3 is an upcoming title, whereas Obl2 is not.

My feelings exactly.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
In no way did Hero's Quest define the adventure genre...
God, this list is so fucking wrong. Quake did way more for FPS multiplayer than Halo could ever dream of. Fucking Halo with its 4 enemies and shitty level design, mutter. Action games defined by Simon Says, err, God of War? My action games were defined by Turrican 2. And if MMOs weren't defined by Ultima Online you have brain cancer...

I swear, one of these days I'll start writing articles on some popular website. Getting paid for bullshit sounds EXTREME.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom