Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

illuknisaa

Cipher
in fallout 76 she's never alone.
Are you sure? The speed people are dropping fo76 is pretty fast. Soon the game will be a true singleplayer experience.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Maybe Bethesda even ordered the correct looking bags through some fishy chinese communist shop. Getting nylon instead of canvas was just the usual tradeoff you get when ordering stuff there.

Hey, at least they were roughly the correct color and not doll sized, that's better than usual! :hahano:

Okagron

Prophet
Am I the only autist here that is really troubled by all the lore "add ons" and rewrites in 76?
The funny part actually is that some Bethesda fans are now complaining about lore breaks in Fallout 76. When back in Fallout 3 and 4, some people were complaining about them and all the Bethestards were saying those people "live in the past" or "Bethesda can do whatever they want with the IP", these Bethestards are now bitching about lore breaks in 76.

Turjan

Arcane
Am I the only autist here that is really troubled by all the lore "add ons" and rewrites in 76?
Pretty much so. That ship has sailed a long time ago.

In other news, the latest patch seems to contain quite a few changes Bethesda doesn't want to talk about:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/a37axm/patch_notes_dont_cover_all_that_changed_they/

"Theres so many things that got changed that were not disclosed in the patch notes, and the notes they do give are missing key facts."

Most of the stuff is nerfs that prolong the grind.
I guess that's what they meant with being open with their customers now.

Last edited:

juliushorst

Literate
Just like Star Wars I pretend nothing exists outside the original series, so I really dont care what Bethesda does with lore.
You miss some fun drama this way, now when Beth re-writes their own lore and their fanboys jump at their throats.
Also, Zahn Star Wars books are better than any Star Wars movie after EVI.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The real issue with Bethesda's additions to the franchise is that they're hollow gimmicks.

Compare Fallout 3 to FNV. Fallout 3 added (from what I'm reading on the wiki) bloatflies, yao guai, fire ants, and mirelurks. All they were really doing here was expanding the creature roster, which is fine I suppose, although the Nukalurk is beyond retarded and very typical of Bethesda hamfistedness. (They correctly realized that Nuka-Cola was a sort of minor symbol of the entire franchise, so they went crazy making Nuka-Cola into a series of gimmicks far beyond the item's real import.)

FNV kept all of those added creatures because there was no sense in not utilizing existing assets that were appropriate to the setting, although Obsidian used only a modified version of the Mirelurk King rechristened the Lakelurk and ditched the rest of the goofy crabman lineup because it was goofy and stupid and they knew that it was goofy and stupid.

FNV restored geckos, fire geckos, golden geckos, mantises, plants of dark soul, and giant rats to the franchise; added cazadors, which are cool as fuck and have extensive origin and lore tie-ins; added nightstalkers, which aren't as cool as cazadors, but also have interesting origin and lore tie-ins; made yao guai special by tying them into the location and lore of Zion (including a vision quest-like tribal encounter); made Super Mutants entertaining and unique again by restoring their sapience and personalities, reinstating the Nightkin, installing them at specific locations that made sense, and implemented the fucking greatest voice work of all time in any computer game, Blackrock Mountain Radio; and added bighorners, bark scorpions, and coyotes to fit and reinforce the desert theme.

The marked men, spore carriers, tunnelers, and even the ghost people (despite being featured in the greatest DLC of all time) are a bit more questionable as additions, but again, these do have extensive lore tie-ins and are far better than the extracurricular shit Bethesda added to Fallout 3 (aliens, redneck troglodytes, etc.).

I frequently harp on world-building as being the pinnacle of RPG design philosophy, and this is no different. Building creatures that make sense in the context of and truly belong within that world is part of good world-building. Bethesda basically just copy-pastes gimmicks into its games.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Mirelurk.. where the fuck did I hear of that before?

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Anvil_of_Dawn/Enemies
Screenshot-2.png

3883-5-anvil-of-dawn.jpg

Ah that’s where.

anvil_of_dawn___daganoth_by_unclehappy5.jpg

“Ribbit ribbit ... i’m So gay for fallout 69 Er.... 76.”

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just like Star Wars I pretend nothing exists outside the original series, so I really dont care what Bethesda does with lore.
You miss some fun drama this way, now when Beth re-writes their own lore and their fanboys jump at their throats.
Also, Zahn Star Wars books are better than any Star Wars movie after EVI.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy watching what stupid shit Beth does next and the drama that ensures, I just dont care what they do with the lore since I gave up on all hope the moment it was announced that Beth bought Fallout licence.

I still remember that good old days on NMA where after the news that Beth is making Fallout 3 there were still people that thought there was a chance that they will do isometric turn based game.

Okagron

Prophet
It's the gift that keeps on giving. At least this trainwreck has been entertaining.

Black

Arcane
Business as usual. I'd be surprised if they took a big hit from that, laws or not.

PorkBarrellGuy

Bethesda (verb): to fuck up constantly, at everything you do.
"My god could you possibly Bethesda any harder?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom