Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Silverfish

Arbiter
I can't even see a synth actually joining the railroad. I could understand having some curiosity and checking them out, but once you discover that the code to their base is 'railroad' and you go through the initiation wherein Deacon explains that arrows on railsigns indicate directions, even self-preservation wouldn't be sufficient motivation to keep you from dipping out.

Stella Brando

Arcane
This is the only thing that could make the main plot interesting.

Essentially, yes. Being a synth yourself is the only viable reason I could ever foresee somebody wanting to join the Railroad. The fact that an entire faction of the game hinges on you believing that robots should be given equal rights (they shouldn't, they don't have souls like humans and animals do) is so fucking retarded. If you were a synth yourself, I can at least gleam how you might find kinship with other robots.
The Institute is retarded too, but for different reasons. The Minute Men are gay as hell. The Brotherhood suck but at least their ideals and goals are relatable and the protagonist is from the military.

Came here because I was interested in Falllout: London but it looks like it's super-delayed. Thanks, Bethesda!

So, we have no idea when Fo:Lon will be released now?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

So, we have no idea when Fo:Lon will be released now?
They don't know either.

Large part of London is reliant on the Fallout 4 script extender and the update will most likely break it. So another team responsible for the SE must fix it first before Fallout: London can be released. They also want to tweak some things, taking advantage of the new possibilities of the engine that come with the update.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
while you log in another 100 hours.

Played for 1h30m and asked refund.

• Very long and boring intro sequence
  • Dialog wheels with little to no choice while in FNV You can convince the "final boss" that the war is futile
  • Guns looks like toys. IDK how they could even work.
  • You get a freaking minigun and power armor in the beginning of the game.
  • The minigun has no sight
  • And fight a deathclaw in a city. They in lore avoid crowded places.
  • Radiation is dumbed down and just reduces a bit your hp.

Yosharian

Arcane
while you log in another 100 hours.

Played for 1h30m and asked refund.

• Very long and boring intro sequence
  • Dialog wheels with little to no choice while in FNV You can convince the "final boss" that the war is futile
  • Guns looks like toys. IDK how they could even work.
  • You get a freaking minigun and power armor in the beginning of the game.
  • The minigun has no sight
  • And fight a deathclaw in a city. They in lore avoid crowded places.
  • Radiation is dumbed down and just reduces a bit your hp.
You NEED to play modded, it is ass without it. I recommend Wasteland Reborn, it makes FO4 feel more like FNV.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Very long and boring intro sequence

The intro is both too long and too short. On one hand, if you just want to get to the action, it's painful having to sit around listening to the robot / spouse / tv / your character's inane thoughts on household objects and even worse sitting idle during the kidnapping scene. On the other, if you want some insight into the pre-war world, F4 gives you very little and even manages to contradict those meager offerings all while never giving you a chance to get attached to your digital family before the inevitable occurs. Worst of both worlds.

You get a freaking minigun and power armor in the beginning of the game.

Never understood this longstanding criticism. Power armor is limited by durability and needs a steady supply of junk items to repair and also consumes fuel cores, which are scarce in the early game. Miniguns are total shit unless you build a shredder mod, which is irrelevant since the minigun found on that mission is a fixed item and doesn't have mods. Realistically, unless you're making a build around gun bashing, you'll never touch miniguns after that first mission.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The point is that power armour was always supposed to be extremely rare and the best protection available in the game. Not something that you can find out in the open untouched for 200 years.
The fact that they now have a short battery life is a contrivance that goes against previous fluff. If miniguns are that shit, then that's a sign of poor weapon balance and design, no?

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes!!! UnderRail did miniguns much better than any fallout game.

About power armor, it is supposed to be rare. But bugthesda awesome button" mindset needs to throw dragons, power armor and everything to the player in the first hour of gameplay.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, it went all downhill in Fallout 3, which just made Power Armour a standard suit of armour. They even nerfed APAmk2 the hacks, because otherwise the Enclave would be too hard to fight. Instead of, I don't know, have power armour troops be supported by combat armour infantry. You know, like in Fallout 2.

I forgot how miniguns were in FO2 and 1, but they were ok in Tactics up until robots. Then they are just shit because of their low base damage. Against unarmoured targets they are pretty nice though. I think they were effective against mutants, I know when they use them they can really chew up your soldiers.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
But Power Armor is fun to collect and display and justify my creation club paint jobs I bought. How dare you!

(not mine)
88HIbPU.jpeg

Then you can take a step back, admire your collection and say "this... this is what power armor is for". Then head off to the glowing sea in your standard leather outfit and vault suit and a bunch of rad away and rad x so as to not taint your power armors.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I do like the equipment display options in Fallout 4. That's actually a nice feature, because I tend to display my gear if I can in the other Bethesda games.
If only the fucking settlers didn't keep grabbing my guns off the racks whenever I turn my back. Bloody magpies.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I've done a Big Guns playthrough of Fallout 1 that used the mini-gun extensively. It absolutely mauls mutants. I'm sure it's a lot less effective in Fallout 2 against the Enclave.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Well yeah. Miniguns in the classic games were low damage but really high rate of fire weapons.
They are supposed to be used against targets with poor armour but huge health pools, like mutants and creatures. They are less effective against armoured targets due to their low base damage.
I think the only modern fallout game that got that right was Fallout NV.

jackofshadows

Magister
I've done a Big Guns playthrough of Fallout 1 that used the mini-gun extensively. It absolutely mauls mutants. I'm sure it's a lot less effective in Fallout 2 against the Enclave.
Well don't forget there're new miniguns even for non-crit builds: bozar and vindicator both are able to penetrate armor much better than minigun does.

The issue is also tied with ever bugged AP ammo in original Fallout games.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You can use the Flamer against armor as well. It's not like the mini-gun is the only Big Guns weapon, even in Fallout 1.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Bozar is better at fighting power armour though due to the higher base damage. However, if you build for it, you can increase the vindicator's damage outputs to silly levels that makes it even good at killing PA.
Though I am theory crafting. I don't think I ever used heavy weapons outside of tactics, because you don't get an early big gun in FO1 and 2. Hence why JE Sawyer dropped it in NV; setting out to make a character who's a heavy weapon user and investing points in big guns, only to find that for most of the game you can't do shit because you can't get one isn't great.

jackofshadows

Magister
Flamethrower is my favorite weapon of all I think but unfortunately Enclave guys have very high DR against fire. Otherwise, fucking love it yeah. I've done a whole marathon on Fallout global mods recently and I was pissed that autists nerfed it to hell in some of them (Sonora especially IIRC).

It extremely well works with sneak skill, that's my favorite build again, of all when you use the skill for closing distance like a maniac to burn people.
you don't get an early big gun in FO1 and 2.
Nah man. Just kill those mutes in Necropolis and take the flamethrower. Then buy ammo off general store in Hub (if you really need then from guy in old town district but his prices are insane). That's all you need for a start.(I just have done today Necropolis right after vault 15, wasn't hard at all). It's trickier in Fallout 2 if not doing SF visit but you can get it in New Reno and you're suppose to go there pretty early anyway.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
You can use the Flamer against armor as well. It's not like the mini-gun is the only Big Guns weapon, even in Fallout 1.
Yeah, flamer has really high base damage and it deals fire damage, which most enemies have poor resistance too. It does have really short range and high AP costs though, but given how powerful it can be that's probably for the best.
It's actually pretty sad that flamers in the modern games are absolute shit in comparison.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Flamethrower is my favorite weapon of all I think but unfortunately Enclave guys have very high DR against fire. Otherwise, fucking love it yeah. I've done a whole marathon on Fallout global mods recently and I was pissed that autists nerfed it to hell in some of them (Sonora especially IIRC).
you don't get an early big gun in FO1 and 2.
Nah man. Just kill those mutes in Necropolis and take the flamethrower. Then buy ammo off general store in Hub (if you really need then from guy in old town district but his prices are insane). That's all you need for a start.(I just have done today Necropolis right after vault 15, wasn't hard at all). It's trickier in Fallout 2 if not doing SF visit but you can get it in New Reno and you're suppose to go there pretty early anyway.
How do you kill mutants when you don't have weapons you are proficient in though? To kill a mutant for its heavy weapon you need a heavy weapon. I guess the trick is to use explosives, but wouldn't that aggro them? I forgot how good the AI is in FO1 and 2.
I should really revisit them some day, its been a while.

jackofshadows

Magister
How do you kill mutants when you don't have weapons you are proficient in though? To kill a mutant for its heavy weapon you need a heavy weapon. I guess the trick is to use explosives, but wouldn't that aggro them? I forget how good the AI is in FO1 and 2.
Zero abuse. Just take 10 mm SMG, hunting rifle and 2 grenades from vault 15, that's all you need. I didn't even tag light weapon and still was able to to that. Those green muties are weak, have little hp. With sneak you can dispatch them one by one. The only real problem is Harry (the one with laser rifle and decent amount of hp). You can also grab plasma pistol in Necropolis sewers, it deals very good damage obviously.

jackofshadows

Magister
With no points investment? Strange, when I tried using weapons with a low skill I recall not being able to hit shit. I'll have to give that a try.
That's correct but you can shoot at point blank range, just lure Harry out of his room for example. In the end, it depends on which wep skill did you picked. Sneak also allows to bypass Harry first and then kill him with your new flamethrower.

Silverfish

Arbiter
The point is that power armour was always supposed to be extremely rare and the best protection available in the game.

In past games? Sure. In Fallout 4, it's good protection balanced by resource consumption. We can talk about what it should be all day, but that's its niche in the game as is.

If miniguns are that shit, then that's a sign of poor weapon balance and design, no?

No. The minigun is designed to be a weapon that is generally poor, but shines with the right builds.

Yosharian

Arcane
I guarantee that the minimum, PA and Deathclaw thing was thrown in there because they looked at how many people play an hour of a game then quit, and targeted that demographic specifically.

I.e. morons

Yosharian

Arcane
I personally don't have a problem with the minigun being bad against armoured targets but then that causes problems when you play with modlists that significantly up the difficulty and then you can't kill the Deathclaw because duh it has a tough armoured hide lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom