Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

goregasm

Scholar
frost vs horizon. who is better and why? discuss.
Personally I like Frost more, as it completely removes most of what I dislike about fallout 4, story, settlements, and the like.

Horizon isn't an awful version of FO4, compared to vanilla it's a better version of FO4, but it IS fo4. Story, overall game etc are all still there.

So FROST if you want to play something else in FO4s engine, Horizon if you want to play FO4, but a more acceptable version of it.

That said Horizon leans HEAVILY into the settlement system of the game so if you dislike it like me ymmv.

ADL

Prophet
Well said. Horizon makes use of all of Fallout 4's half baked mechanics and creates an extremely satisfying game loop if you're autistic enough to learn it and enjoy it but it's still Fallout 4. I haven't played much of Frost but it seems like it turns it into a satisfying looter shooter survival game and removes the main quest entirely, simply repurposing its landmass for a different experience.

Yosharian

Arcane
Personally I like Frost more, as it completely removes most of what I dislike about fallout 4, story, settlements, and the like.

Horizon isn't an awful version of FO4, compared to vanilla it's a better version of FO4, but it IS fo4. Story, overall game etc are all still there.

So FROST if you want to play something else in FO4s engine, Horizon if you want to play FO4, but a more acceptable version of it.

That said Horizon leans HEAVILY into the settlement system of the game so if you dislike it like me ymmv.
Yeah I'm trying out Frost right now in the form of Stay Frosty, it's pretty good so far. Only just started though.

Horizon is very good but suffers a little from feature creep and the settlement system is just not really what I want from an apocalyptic survival simulator

Also you really need to go all-out on fixing F4's horrendous flaws in order to put up with Horizon

(And you still can't fix the core issues)

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

goregasm

Scholar
Stay Frosty is getting deleted after April 30th btw

No idea if Frost itself will be updated
Frost will still be around, the guys who continued to develop frost didn't do the wabbajack for stay frosty, just the auto installer for that modlist is going.

The guys who did frost have a manual installation guide ala Viva New Vegas, called below zero (I think)

deuxhero

Arcane
Never tried Frost, but Horizon is a fucking horrible mod. It combines every bad practice in modding into one. Avoid it.
1: It changes things for no fucking reason. For example Abernathy Farm now has a shed housing the settlement workbench and has a non-functional, non-removable latrine (you can build latrines in Horizon and they give settlement stats, this prebuilt one doesn't) right where you'd build new buildings in vanilla. Another example is that there's a non-optional body replacer for no reason that you need another ESP to kill.
2: It's firmly designed around the player character being the only one who actually cares about half its mechanics in order to make things more tedious. The player needs dozens of bandages to heal, but you'll only ever find ones or twos in random first aid boxes; Human enemies never carry bandages because only the player needs them. Instead you have to cut up and sterilize every enemy's clothes to make bandages. Only the player needs to eat, and bandit level lists have been scoured of food to make things "realistic" . None of this makes getting food hard mind you, molerats and radstags still give food and are relatively common, but it does mean more busywork.
3: There is no unified vision. The developer can't remember his own changes and actively refuses (as in he's been told he should and goes on a tard rage in response) to document them and adds things because he feels like it some day only to not remember it is there in the future.
4: The implementations are poorly coded. It's an incompatibility minefield for the sake of it. Everything is accomplished with dirty random edits. The most random mods are incompatible due to bad/egotistical design choice. This ties into point 1 and 3.

goregasm

Scholar
Aye, could certainly be the case now. I haven't played Horizon in a few years, at least 2?

By then it was really going into the settlement/crafting stuff, last I played it seriously, it was a bit of a combat/difficulty survival game that was (more) modular (back then) and had some aspects that steered you into the settlements rather than being almost a requirement.

Frost, while not perfect, is sort of...recent post apocalypse atmosphere first, survival second, it leans into fo4s pretty busted survival mechanics, but it's mod lists have..mods..to tweak that shit to your liking.

It's sort of worth it just because it's a functional total overhaul of the game and has some really tense moments, it's newer devs included some questionable stuff but overall it's a murder hobo sim about hitting people with pipes and eating them

9ted6

Educated
It amazes me these people are willing to spend years of their life working with a terrible engine to mod a shitty looter shooter. More power to them I guess.

Yosharian

Arcane
So I'm a few hours into Frost, this mod is kind of ridiculous. I have found ONE Dirty Water, which I can't drink. I need three of them to make a boiled water. Lmao. Who balanced this.

Yosharian

Arcane
It's like modders do not understand how the end user interacts with the game at all. There is virtually no food or water in 2+ hours of playing, and they made the thirst/hunger/tiredness rates 2-3x the vanilla ones so you start to suffer penalties really fast. All the NPCs are hostile straight away for no reason at all, and if you kill them, you go Insane, which fucks up your ranged accuracy. If you drink dirty water not only do you get rads (god knows how I'm meant to get rid of rads) but you also have a chance to get parasites and other nasty shit.

There are entire villages' worth of NPCs living down here with NO FOOD OR WATER. You kill them assuming that they have something - no, nothing at all. Why are they here then? What do they eat or drink? Where do they get all these highly-modified guns and stores of ammo from? I came across about 5-7 guys in my travels carrying heavy flamers, so you're telling me these guys ran into these tunnels and have eked out a living here, they even have a brahmin down here and some dogs, but no food or water?

I went into an area titled 'Medical Station' thinking alright here we go, it's been rough so far but I'm sure they'll have some food and water here.

Nothing.

They had a ton of armed guards though, and a machine gun turret. Well that makes sense.

Yosharian

Arcane
Also and I'm nitpicking now but fuck it, the perks have spelling mistakes in them, how fucking hard is it to spell the word 'resistance' correctly you stupid fucks

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Just about sums my experience with most of these huge mods. Besides, can't beat The Long Dark if you're just after winter-survival kind of thing.

Yosharian

Arcane
Ok! I found out that you can completely customise the difficulty of the mod, so carry weight, diseases, water/hunger/tiredness rates, all that stuff, you can customize it all from the MCM menu. So, I have to give them props there, I am definitely going to tweak these to make them more bearable then give the mod another go next weekend.

The ridiculous difficulty curve aside, it's quite an interesting mod. The perk screen needs a hell of a lot of work though.

goregasm

Scholar
Frost is sort of..you are supposed to be fucked up throughout it. Addicted to chems, alcohol, rads out the ass, murdering relatively peaceful people (or not) for their one cram and bottle of dirty water etc.

If you try to play it like fo4, you are going to hate it. Treat it sort of like playing a game version of The Road. With ghouls and shit.

Eventually you can get relatively comfortable set up, but the first 10 levels or so are designed to be a bit of a pain.

Some of the recipes are retarded, but you really aren't in to much of a position to make some of that stuff early game, eventually it evens out but early game is pretty much being irradiated, injured, under equipped.

Get the hunter perk first, go through the train on your right when you come out of the spawn point

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Fallout 4, the best Fallout game, is back. 83k peak, for all the wrong reasons. But at least people are able to enjoy this amazing game. Glad to see you blokes pretending not to like it, while you log in another 100 hours.

fallout4bestfallout.png

ind33d

Learned
Fallout 4, the best Fallout game, is back. 83k peak, for all the wrong reasons. But at least people are able to enjoy this amazing game. Glad to see you blokes pretending not to like it, while you log in another 100 hours.

fallout4bestfallout.png
I prefer the direction that Beth took with FO4 and Starfield where the gameplay mechanics are good but the quests have to be modded in than the reverse

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If you have to mod a game 2000 times to the point that it doesn't even play the same anymore, is it really the same game?
That's like some Ship of Theseus shit.
This is why I dropped New Vegas.
I wasn't playing New Vegas anymore. I don't think I've ever played New Vegas, except back in 2014 where I barely knew how to mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom