Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

GloomFrost

Arcane
Man, this game really does get much better after a while. Reminds me of Gothic 3 - tons of fine content locked behind a shitty beginning. I've clocked in 36 hrs and am near the end of the main quest having completed a fair amount of side quests. Like in other Bethesda games, there is enough content for two full barely-overlapping play-throughs.

It turns out there are many companions and they are pretty cool. But it takes a while to find them. They have their quirks and abilities and their likes and dislikes. You can put them in power armor and equip them with guns. And they make appropriate remarks depending on the situation. For example, at one point I approached a nuclear silo with Piper, and she asked "Is this a tomb?" When you stop for a while, she finds a chair and sits down... One time we passed by her sister in Diamond City, and the two had a chat. The companion behavior is elaborate, a real achievement.

What really stands out is the amazing attention to detail. Many areas are stunning - for example the vault near Diamond City, the Brotherhood's dirigible, the Glow, and the Goodneighbor town. Meeting the Vault-Tech salesman was cool. At one point, one character asked me for a chair. It was corny, but it got me. Toward the end of the story a clusterfuck ensues, and you have to make some heart-wrenching decisions. The feelz are real.
Most missions are cookie-cutter "go-and-explore-our-wonderful-dungeon" material, but some stand out. For example the "Lost Patrol" Brotherhood mission. Or the microbrew robot mission that you can get in Goodneighbor.

Yeah... The game's a pretty good show all. Definitely worth the ticket. I only wish Bethesda would make a good PC interface for their next title. Also some kind of a vacuum cleaner and/or dismantler that can just suck loot from around me and break it down into components. The crafting system is even more annoying that usual.
I m not judging or anything but someone payed you to write that, right? Or you just havent played many RPGs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh... Total Biscuit is partly responsible for spawning the era of the YouTube/Twitch reviewer: the same people that act as a marketing tool for the AAA industry driving people into a frenzy to buy these 10/10 GOTY 'gems.' It's like... the protagonist in FO4 fathering/giving birth to the villain!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't know, I haven't followed the emergence of yt/twitch reviewers, but I believe watching streamed games is the most reliable way to tell if a game is worth your money. It takes a lot of staging and work to present a shit game as a good one if you are doing a youtube review, much more if you are streaming live. Even if someone attempts to cheat you about a game's qualities in a video, they're most likely to fail.

So if you're right about TB's role, I think it's positive overall.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
TotalBiscuit's opinion about the game.

I agree 100%. I respect TB for having the balls to piss against the wind now and then (his brutal takedown of Bioshit Infinite when everybody was saying it's the best game ever made in the whole universe is legendary). But honestly, he's way, waaaaayyy too butthurt and salty in those tweets. I get it, he's got the growth and chemo is a bitch but angry arguments with retards ain't never doing any good.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If that were true then games like FO4 wouldn't flourish.
No, the two are not related - shit games flourishing, and streaming dissuading smart people from buying shit games.

First, to avoid buying a shit game you have to be prepared to subject the hype to cricism, which many (in absolute numbers) buyers of shit games are not prepared to do. Then, after you've decided "let's see if this game is actually good" instead of blindly buying it, you have to decide to test it by watching streams, instead of by other means (such as reading corrupt reviews for example).

Third, shit games flourish not because the majority of their audience is cheated into buying them, it's because shit games are good enough for the majority of their audience to not care about their shittyness, or not notice it.

People who can benefit from youtubers/streamers are a small part of the whole possible audience of an AAA game. If it wasn't for youtubers/streamers though, part of this segment would have been cheated.

If you (or anyone) want mediocre mass products to stop having large sales numbers, you have to rewire the tastes of the masses - which can't happen, or outright forbid some products from reaching the market - which is resorting to violence to enforce your views, hence can't happen either.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I agree 100%. I respect TB for having the balls to piss against the wind now and then (his brutal takedown of Bioshit Infinite when everybody was saying it's the best game ever made in the whole universe is legendary). But honestly, he's way, waaaaayyy too butthurt and salty in those tweets. I get it, he's got the growth and chemo is a bitch but angry arguments with retards ain't never doing any good.
That is his style. He is a Codexer at heart, even if he does not know it. He often goes into arguments with people and he is very passionate. He got famous through his Starcraft 2 involvement and he often argued on Team Liquid with fans of the game.

bonescraper

lZAMGpO.jpg

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Finally managed to lockpick myself into Piper's heart. Literally. Everytime her affection reaches a new level she initiates dialog and you have the chance to flirt with her (fuuu persuasion checks). Of course, in true Bethesda tradition, the only difference between BFF and lover is the "lover's embrace" perk from Skyrim.

That's. It.

Ditched her in some remote village and picked up Kate Cait, the annoying Oirish womyn. She is even easier to befriend, she approves of getting wasted. Time to party! Now I only need to find a green outfit for her to go with the bowler...

The most important mods this game needs is a inventory sorter and making persuasion checks passable with a fixed CH amount. Seriously, there is an NPC you have to pass 3 increasingly difficulty speech checks in one dialog to convince, and I had to try at least 7 times. Even with 10+ CH I sometimes even failed the easy ones. Declining shit.

PSA: If you're REALLY into single shot revolvers, there is a .44 revolver on the other side of the river surrounding your starting village. Seems to be there regardless of your level. Good luck finding ammo for it tho, since .44 seems to be Tier3 (lvl 20 or so) ammo. Maybe vendors get it earlier, but real man don't buy stuff and live of the land! Reminded me of the hunting revolver in FNV I carried around for ages without ammo...

anus_pounder

Arcane
Everyone is dying, some just have a more reliable estimate on the when than others. This is shit news. I know next to nothing about the guy, but I'm trying to imagine what it is, trying to forget such a fact, or getting used to it. There is always hope, as he says in that blog post.

Friend, you might be on the wrong site...

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
By the way, do you want to run DAC? Taluntain's looking for a man with the courage to step up and administrate it.
I think we all know how that ended last time. Did King of Creation die? (I hope so) As long as you don't leave me in charge of remembering to renew any domains, I suppose it's fine.

So are Settlements glitched for anyone else? I have 30 beds in Sanctuary and it shows as much when I'm in build mode in town. However, in my pipboy it shows 0 beds available. Is this because I messed with my ini?

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
You know what bothers me about Codexers playing and liking FO4? Not the mere fact. I think it's OK to like a flawed game. I liked DA2 for that matter.

What bothers me is that the same monocled, prestigious gentlemen who were obliterating PoE as a boring sawyeresque failure not six months ago, now proudly gorge themselves on this rotting pile of trash and mumble something like "well, it's kinda cool" or "it's alright for an FPS." That the Codex didn't want to scale to the level of WL2 - so much that it too was ultimately written off as shit (despite TB combat, C&C and everything); yet the same Codex gladly scales to the level of FO4. And now whenever someone rises his voice to say "come on, this game is just pure garbage" what do they hear in response? That it's circlejerk, fishing for brofists, etc.

Not long ago someone mentioned that Codexia is schizophrenic - in a different context - but I think it applies here as well. Fire in one hand and water in the other.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
You know what bothers me about Codexers playing and liking FO4? Not the mere fact. I think it's OK to like a flawed game. I liked DA2 for that matter.

What bothers me is that the same monocled, prestigious gentlemen who were obliterating PoE as a boring sawyeresque failure not six months ago, now proudly gorge themselves on this rotting pile of trash and mumble something like "well, it's kinda cool" or "it's alright for an FPS." That the Codex didn't want to scale to the level of WL2 - so much that it too was ultimately written off as shit (despite TB combat, C&C and everything); yet the same Codex gladly scales to the level of FO4. And now whenever someone rises his voice to say "come on, this game is just pure garbage" what do they hear in response? That it's circlejerk, fishing for brofists, etc.

Not long ago someone mentioned that Codexia is schizophrenic - in a different context - but I think it applies here as well. Fire in one hand and water in the other.

You need to compare PoE to the top players in the cRPG field, while you compare FO4 with the rest of the shit openworld shooter fps with "light" rpg elements out there.

That's the difference.

FO4 doesn't try to be a hardcore cRPG, like PoE did. And it failed. At least Bethesda knows they can't do a proper RPG, even if their lives depended on it.

Also the setting gets an automatic pass from most here. Even me. I would much rather 9000xxx times over play something with a setting like fallout's, than some fantasy shit like PoE, but that's just bias. At this point, I would rather have a shitty-mediocre post-apoc/futuristic sci-fi game, than a great but boring fantasy game.

Fallout 4 IS garbage compared to what it could have been as a hardcore cRPG like the first two fallout games. Is it garbage compared to the other mindless shooters with ultra-light RPG elements? Nah, it's kind of fun, actually. Even IF it's raping the fallout universe 10 times over.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some quick impressions, 20 hours into the game (reached level 19 or so).

1.I haven't been following the questlines much because, honestly, they suck, and they do a terrible job at keeping me enthralled. I did a couple of quests here and there, and got annoyed. Therefore I went for a "GTA" approach, which is, roam the land, explore, kill stuff, cause havoc. The games turns out to be at least tolerable to me, if taken with such an approach.

2.Repetita juvant: quests suck. The writing sucks. Conversations suck. Everything even remotely related to "writing" sucks. Not "fallout 3" level of suckage, but even worse than Skyrim. Oh yeah, "dialogue wheel" is in, in the form of stupid arrow keys. Yes, 4 is the maximum conversation options you'll get. Yes, the conversation will very often go their own way no matter which reply option you pick, and it is very evident from the "pre-made, all-inclusive" replies from the NPCS.

3.Interacting with NPCs is cringeworthy. Uninstallworthy, even. It's just fucking terrible. Ordering Meatdog around is just inane and berserk-inducing.

4.The AI is mediocre at best. All the "classic shit" from F3/Skyrim/FNV is there too. There is mild usage of cover. Alerted enemies really suck at tracking the player down.

5.Crafting is inspired by, and somewhat improves on, Skyrim. It's actually ok. Building and maintaining settlements really caters to Sims-fans, and is way less annoying than building the stupid manors in Hearthfire. Also more flexible and less rewarding.

6.The game is really combat-oriented. REALLY. A lot. Thanks consolefags.

7.The RPG system is shit. Real shit. Even the skill/perks system in CoDMW2 was better than this bullshit.

8.Sneaking and sneak-attacking has been majorly nerfed from FNV and Skyrim, apparently. This might actually be a good thing.

9.The graphics are ok/good, and improve over Skyrim, although the game doesn't run as smooth (higher res textures, more complex models, more post-processing shit, etc...). Godrays are an eye-killer.

10.The OST is REALLY good. Diamond City Radio really rocks (pun intended).

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Best way to deal with conversations:

a) press right arrow key to skip dialogs and make bitchy comments
OR
b) get boozed, then press right arrow key to channel your inner Lindsey Lohan

Massice Incline for conversations.

Divinity: Original Sin 2
You need to compare PoE to the top players in the cRPG field, while you compare FO4 with the rest of the shit openworld shooter fps with "light" rpg elements out there.

I'm all for keeping oranges away from apples.
Could we open a section for Bioshock franchise (Irrational Games) here as well? Or better yet, GTA (Rockstar Games). Those games have almost non-existent RPG elements as well.

pippin

The bit with the bed is funny. It's nice to see they at least think of those sort of details.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, some songs are really nice, though the DJ sounds like an inside joke gone really bad.

BTW, the best song for FNV, which was never part of FNV's soundtrack: Get Happy, Judy Garland. Listen to the lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRSr9xS7MHk

To me, no track will ever beat the combo FNV+"Johnny Guitar", in terms of perfect match and atmosphere/mood building/amplification.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
To me, no track will ever beat the combo FNV+"Johnny Guitar", in terms of perfect match and atmosphere/mood building/amplification.
More like FNV+Big iron. When it plays shit gets real.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom