Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Caim

Arcane

Learned
So, I've attempted to play this again recently. Started out with a short mod list, killed the scripted deathclaw and got the laser rifle from paladin whatshisface and some ammo from the synths.

How mandatory is settlement building? Should one allocate points mainly to SPECIAL or perks? The highly emphasized "improved gunplay" felt like ass, manually triggering critical hits doesn't feel like an improvement to anything at all, I'm completely lost. Is it because I have weak weapons and no perks? Does it get any better? Or do I just uninstall and quit for good, which is what I'm leaning to.

Some spoonfeeding is in order.

Silverfish

Arbiter
How mandatory is settlement building?

There are a few items you have to build for the main quest, but they're few and far between and the components needed can be acquired during said quests. There's one faction that focuses on building up settlements, but they're the worst option in general, so that's no concern.

Is it because I have weak weapons and no perks? Does it get any better?

It's hard to say, since I don't know what kind of shooters you enjoy. My personal recommendation is to go melee.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
Actual human actors? That would be huge incline considering how much people were redone.
there are some ai generated voices, but there are a lot of human actors as well. it's worth installing the mod just to get rid of the limited beth bargain bin voice acting.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
So, I've attempted to play this again recently. Started out with a short mod list, killed the scripted deathclaw and got the laser rifle from paladin whatshisface and some ammo from the synths.

How mandatory is settlement building? Should one allocate points mainly to SPECIAL or perks? The highly emphasized "improved gunplay" felt like ass, manually triggering critical hits doesn't feel like an improvement to anything at all, I'm completely lost. Is it because I have weak weapons and no perks? Does it get any better? Or do I just uninstall and quit for good, which is what I'm leaning to.

You already wrote the game off, coming here looking for people who also dislike the game, pretending you are trying to play. If you can't figure out what to do or not to do with settlements (get into settlement building for fun, don't build them at all, don't set up beacons, use them as your own personal areas for a lone wanderer type playthrough, use them as farms for components, ignore them) then just fucking quit. Go play CoD or something.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Many of you ask the question, "Why should Fallout 4 be anything but horrible?" Well. Just yesterday, I shot Yao Guai with my modest Combat Shotgun so hard that he sprung from the ground, circumscribed a perfect half-circle above my head, and landed dead some 30 meters or so away. Come to think of it, maybe McReady, albeit armed with a Sniper rifle .308—yet still in possession of the Legendary Supersledge stashed in his invisible backpack—might have helped a bit. It was a heartwarming moment, attacking the diaphragm. So, that's why, kids, F4 can be wonderful.

Also, Far Harbor's atmosphere is four-star!

Last edited:

tritosine2k

Erudite
Many of you ask the question, "Why should Fallout 4 be anything but horrible". Well. Just yesterday, I shot Yao Guai with my modest Combat Shotgun so hard that he sprung from the ground, circumscribed a perfect half-circle above my head, and landed dead some 30 meters or so away. Come to think of it, maybe McReady, albeit armed with a Sniper rifle .308—yet still in possession of the Legendary Supersledge—stashed in his backpack, might have helped a bit.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4371

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

I tried to play F4 as an immersive RPG twice and I got a literal headache from trying to mind all its features. Villages included.
After that, I switched to the playstyle of "I rarely pay attention to anything said or written--I do that only if there is something REALLY interesting, or if I really mind the outcome of something--and I play F4 as a FPS.
1 = Melee weapon, 2 = Pistols, 3 = Machine gun, 4 = Shotgun, 5 = Sniper rifle, 6 = Rocker launcher, 7 = Ultramegahyperspecializedoverpowered weird weapon, 8 = Stimpack.
Shooting my way through everything first, asking questions later, using covers, angles, followers' abilities (Dogmeat's arresting enemies in place is awesome for one), etc.
Suddenly, I've started to play a pretty alright FPS with RPG elements.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Many of you ask the question, "Why should Fallout 4 be anything but horrible". Well. Just yesterday, I shot Yao Guai with my modest Combat Shotgun so hard that he sprung from the ground, circumscribed a perfect half-circle above my head, and landed dead some 30 meters or so away. Come to think of it, maybe McReady, albeit armed with a Sniper rifle .308—yet still in possession of the Legendary Supersledge—stashed in his backpack, might have helped a bit.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4371
Don't you dare to take my precious weeeeee death cams away :D !

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Everytime you install fallout 4 you have to make it a tacticool survival shooter. Melee is already cringe and imho make no sense in world with guns[bar using it with power armor against some low key enemies].

Just Locus

Educated
I tried doing a Melee and Unarmed build for Fallout 4 and all of them slowly but surely turned into a guns build because the lack of a level cap gave me zero reason to stop accumulating all of my skill points into things that the playthrough had nothing to do with as they were the better choice - doesn't help that the Melee gameplay is so mind-numbingly boring that the idea of headbutting a brick wall sounds more exciting.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Far Harbor really gives off vibes of Fallouts of old. I mean 1 and 2. I would never have guessed I'd say this. Three not-so-far-away factions and their bases with people concerned with the same problems. The solutions for each of them. Some are intertwining, some are clashing, and some are standing apart. The whole thing feels different from the rest of the F4 world. I love it.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Far Harbor really gives off vibes of Fallouts of old. I mean 1 and 2. I would never have guessed I'd say this. Three not-so-far-away factions and their bases with people concerned with the same problems. The solutions for each of them. Some are intertwining, some are clashing, and some are standing apart. The whole thing feels different from the rest of the F4 world. I love it.

Hey guys look! I hate Fallout 4 but Far Harbor sure was great! Anyone agree??? Fucking hell dude.

Far Harbor fails in every regard but atmosphere.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
haha GoG's message about the Creation Club.

Please note that the DRM-Free version of Fallout 4 GOTY does not include the Creation Club feature. For a premium modding experience, we recommend Nexus Mods, who provide free access to tens of thousands of amazing modifications, and hundreds of curated collections.

https://af.gog.com/en/game/fallout_4_game_of_the_year_edition?as=1649904300

Bethesda knows they are re-releasing Fallout 4 this year which will have all the creation club content in it (much like Skyrim anniversary edtion did) so selling this version without the ability to purchase CC is really no big deal for them. Sales of CC has most likely stagnated this deep into it's life cycle. They will sell the re-release of Fallout 4 with all the CC content on GoG at some point too. They are the masters of double dipping.

Edit - apologies for those using ublock origin.

Last edited:

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Bethesda knows they are re-releasing Fallout 4 this year which will have all the creation club content in it (much like Skyrim anniversary edtion did) so selling this version without the ability to purchase CC is really no big deal for them.
This is fine though. I'm glad they haven't pulled Skyrim SE from sale, because all those included mods are garbage and I'd rather not have them in my game. I'm assuming it'll be the same with Fallout 4.

Nothing worse than when a publisher re-releases a game in an INFERIOR version and the old version disappears (Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one that comes to mind).

ind33d

Educated
Everytime you install fallout 4 you have to make it a tacticool survival shooter. Melee is already cringe and imho make no sense in world with guns[bar using it with power armor against some low key enemies].
fo4 feels like playing SWAT 3. it's good but obviously not what people were expecting

Just Locus

Educated
so Bethesda decided to push out an update for the Xbox version of Fallout 4 and broke it completely:

media.png

image.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom