Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
So persuasion checks have their difficulty color-coded to yellow (easy), orange (medium), and red (hard). Is this Todd taking revenge on Josh for all the shit he talked about Skyrim's PS3 release?

:balance:

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
exXu6YZ.jpg

Slender Man easter egg?

In other words a theme park ride where we're supposed to believe locations are within eyesight of each other...but the people in a town never scouted out the cave two hundred feet away. Or that the Robco factory surrounded by malfunctioning clankers hasn't had conflict with the Deathstalker den or drawn the attention of that group of Super Mutants the next building over. Each their own self contained world.

To further expand on this, a quote from someone on /v/

Why would they make a place with planes debris and stuff and live in there while an active nuclear bomb is on the center of that place, while just couple blocks away there's a supermarket that's bigger than the place and perfectly viable to live?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Why would they make a place with planes debris and stuff and live in there while an active nuclear bomb is on the center of that place, while just couple blocks away there's a supermarket that's bigger than the place and perfectly viable to live?

Because you have to imagine that these places are hundred of kilometers away from each other. It's just DENSE (TM) for gaming purposes.

When you walk from one place to another in 2 minutes you gotta LARP that you are traveling for a week.

When you play with this in mind, you suddenly realize the greatness of Fallout 4.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Fallout4_graph01.jpg

We’re not going to spoil every improvement we’ve made, but for those of you who enjoy the technical details, here’s a sampling of what we’ve added to the latest version of the Creation Engine:

• Tiled Deferred Lighting
  • Temporal Anti-Aliasing
  • Screen Space Reflections
  • Bokeh Depth of Field
  • Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
  • Height Fog
  • Motion Blur
  • Filmic Tonemapping
  • Custom Skin and Hair Shading
  • Dynamic Dismemberment using Hardware Tessellation
  • Volumetric Lighting
  • Gamma Correct Physically Based Shading

:lol:

https://bethesda.net/?utm_source=Tw...raphics-technology-of-fallout-4/2015/11/04/45

pippin

Many of the elements Bethesda did in 3 could be easily explained with the logics of FO's world. For instance, you could have made Megaton into some sort of mini dictatorship or religious cult, and say this is the reason why people live there (because they can't leave). This also could help you to explain other small elements of this world. Like the Republic of Dave being an effort to stop being as evil as Megaton, just to produce a new kind of evil. It made me mad to realize that Dave was marked as a Good character (if you kill him you get bad karma) but he just seemed to be an asshole imo.

Zeriel

Arcane
Whenever I see marketing advertising tesselation related features these days, all I can think is, "Oh, so this is Nvidia forcing everyone to buy their 900 line of cards." Which Crysis game was it in which they had a massive amount of tesselation buried in geometry that wasn't even visible?

pippin

I don't even know what those buzzwords mean. I just turn most of the graphical fluff when I'm playing games, and sometimes shadows too. I'm not really a graphix whore.

Mm-hm. When I fired up GTAV first thing I did is go looking through the menus. Goodbye Post FX, Motion Blur, Depth of Field, Ambient Occlusion and Tesselation.

Without that shit bogging it down even something like a GTX 770 4GB can get about 40 FPS on average at 4k. Had my friend bring over his because I wanted to see how it compared to a 970 and the game is surprisingly smooth. Anisotropic Filtering at 8X and all.

saltyshanty

Educated

We’re not going to spoil every improvement we’ve made, but for those of you who enjoy the technical details, here’s a sampling of what we’ve added to the latest version of the Creation Engine:

Glad to see they are commited to us old-school fans. Those trash heaps on the right are straight out of Morrowind.

I'd like to say the legalese spells out that mods have to be free...but it never blocked the way for them to try that shit again down the road.

Graphically, the game looks ok to me. It is no Witcher 3, but whatever.

Thing is, I don't play cRPGs for graphics. I couldn't give half a shit how shiny it is. I play for the underlining systems, progression, reactivity and depth.

In such, Witcher 3 is a shit RPG (it lacks narrative reactivity and decent character progression), but that doesn't mean it wasn't a fun game. I rather enjoyed it.

Fallout 3 taught me to expect a shit RPG this go around from Bethesda, but I had hoped it would still make a fun diversion now and again. Thing is, this crap looks mindless -- made with an appeal to the lowest common denominator in gaming today. Ugh.

Think I'll spend my $60 over at Board Game Geek instead. At least those games will engage my brain to some degree.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Get ur butts and lube ready guise, here are the real PC ultra screenshots, Todd strikes back.

Fallout4_graph02.jpg

Fallout4_graph02b.jpg

Fallout4_graph03.jpg

Fallout4_graph05.jpg

Fallout4_graph06.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom