Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

MCA
Guys, I think Wyrmlord finally divined what RPGs are all about!
They're not about playing various builds and dealing with their shortcomings and selection of skills, they're about finding the one broken, completely superior build and playing that exact one over and over again! Finally, the mystery is revealed! RPGs are like Quake, but with more numbers!

As much as I'd like to agree, you just sound incredibly BUTTHURT.

aris

Arcane
Fallout and diablo are different games, needless to say, one should think. I do think that the combat in diablo 3 is executed better within its genre, than fallout 1's combat is executed within its genre. Which isn't (obviously) to say that they I'd want diablo 3's combat in fallout 1: It wouldn't fit. Why are people jammering on about combat anyway in fallout 1? That isn't even remotely the strong suit of the game.

I love Fallout, and i love Arcanum, and no "shit" combat will ruin great games such as these for me. Sure, it could be improved (Arcanum), whereas I think Fallout's is adequately good. And hundreds of turds like Fallout 3, Diablo 3, Mass Effect, etc. will never be enjoyable even if they have ultra-awesome combat (and they don't - it's shit).

aris

Arcane
Good for you dude. You must be an extremely intelligent guy, liking such monoloced games, while disliking the non-monocled ones.

Good for you dude. You must be an extremely intelligent guy, liking such monoloced games, while disliking the non-monocled ones.

Nope, I'm just not a kiddie moron, like you. And I don't give a shit about monocle, or codex opinion, I just very much dislike today's shit games for retarded audience. I feel it in my heart. Can't help it. :( And I'm here because there are people that think this way also. But unfortunately there are a lot of decline retards like you on the codex, although we are the last internet bastion of old school games which required a brain to play.

I can have an IQ of 70, and I'd still be less retarded than you.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In F1/2 characters actually had stats that mattered. Stats that affected how much they can move during combat, how well they aim. The combat was more nuanced - there were criticals, and as I recall, weapons could jam, for one - and that was probably affected by something like "Luck".

In Fallout3, your stats are numbers displayed for the "old-timers" to look at, but in the game they mean jack shit. As result, the combat is a hollow, pointless competition in length of health bars.
Er, I'm pretty damn certain there are criticals and weapons that jam in Fallout 3 and crippling the head and arms definitely reduces enemy accuracy and all these things are determined by stats...

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
People who praise FNV while claiming that F3 was shit are probably suffering from schizophrenia or severe self-denial. There is also the off possibility that they're just stupid.

Ironically, it's very similar to people who shit on F2 while claiming that F1 is the best thing ever.

Also, "FNV>F2" has to be one of the most dumbfuck things I ever saw, and I'm not talking game-related stuff only, but all the things I've witnessed in my pitiful life.

For all the above things I rate this topic :5/5:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
tormentuuu.png
But what about Planescape combat?

Humppaleka

Cipher
Gaudaost is really the only troll on these forums ever that has made my blood boil. Fucking ban him already, he isn't even funny like the other original shitposters here.

dextermorgan

Arcane
People who praise FNV while claiming that F3 was shit are probably suffering from schizophrenia or severe self-denial. There is also the off possibility that they're just stupid.

Ironically, it's very similar to people who shit on F2 while claiming that F1 is the best thing ever.
It's also possible that you're a shitposting retard. Go away.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
the very idea of a single character turn-based game is stupid
Thank you. Glad I'm not the only one to think this: At the very least not with such a simplistic combat is in fallout, where the only thing you can do is to click on the enemy. Anyway, something completely unrelated: I just remembered you said one of the jrpg threads, that if there is no room for discussing jrpgs, then neither is there for PS:T. I enquired what you meant with this, but I don't think I ever got an answer. An answer, please? I'm actually pretty curious :desu:

On a more related note, It is incromprehensible to me how anyone can like fallout 1s combat if you're bashing arcanum's. (I didn't like the combat in arcanum by the way, which someone misunderstood)
Torment had a fixed player character, JRPG style spell animations, large player party avatars, a very small part of the larger area visible on the screen at a given time, and a couple of minor things similar to JRPGs.

Even so, it was largely in jest, since Torment still is largely a Western game at heart.

aris

Arcane
Ok. THanks for the info. Yeah, especially the spell animations in PS:T struck me as very very JRPGish, and also their combat poses now that I think about it. Especially the one of Dak'kon

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Er, I'm pretty damn certain there are "criticals" and weapons that "jam" in Fallout 3 and crippling the head and arms definitely "reduces enemy accuracy" and all these things are "determined" by "stats"...

Fixed for accuracy :smug:
That's not even an argument. "All these things that happen don't actually because I say so." There are perfectly legitimate ways to explain why Fallout 3 isn't enjoyable, but that's not one of them.

aris

Arcane
That crippling body parts in fallout 3 affects gameplay, is an indisputable fact, but I never remember experiencing weapon jams...

Every gun has the chance to jam (small guns at least), but they have to be in pretty poor condition so unless you're at the very beginning or never repair anything you're unlikely to experience it more than once or twice during a playthrough.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Your weapon will take longer to reload if its condition is poor. It plays a "jamming" animation when this happens. This happens often, it's not rare at all.

But perhaps that's not what you're referring to.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Er, I'm pretty damn certain there are "criticals" and weapons that "jam" in Fallout 3 and crippling the head and arms definitely "reduces enemy accuracy" and all these things are "determined" by "stats"...

That's not even an argument. "All these things that happen don't actually because I say so." There are perfectly legitimate ways to explain why Fallout 3 isn't enjoyable, but that's not one of them.

No, actually it's a pretty clear statement on my part. Most of the stat system in Fallout 3 is there in name only. It little relevance to gameplay. And realtime combat makes things like crits pretty meaningless. In addition, turn-based combat by its very nature is superior to realtime combat, especially derpy realtime combat in a derpy engine. This should be pretty axiomic on the Codex, and if not, there are always old threads you can look up, I believe, by VD.

aris

Arcane
Yes. He is right. Games like quake, counter strike and unreal tournament would have been superior, had they had turn-based combat.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

No, actually it's a pretty clear statement on my part. Most of the stat system in Fallout 3 is there in name only. It little relevance to gameplay. And realtime combat makes things like crits pretty meaningless. In addition, turn-based combat by its very nature is superior to realtime combat, especially derpy realtime combat in a derpy engine. This should be pretty axiomic on the Codex, and if not, there are always old threads you can look up, I believe, by VD.
The difference between a 1 and 10 in Fallout 3's version of SPECIAL isn't significant enough: true.
Fallout 3's stats are cosmetic: false.
Realtime combat makes critical hits meaningless: also false. I don't even know how someone can come to that conclusion.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Right, selecting the smaller points, arguing over semantics, and ignoring the elephant in the room - inherent superiority of turn-based over realtime combat, even if they were feature-equal in F1/2 vs F3... which they are not.

Speaking of games, you should save yours for someone who cares to play them. It is clear that you're set on a certain point of view, and will go to any lengths to maintain it. I'm not spending any more time on this exchange.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom