Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4: New Vegas - remake in FO4 engine

ADL

Prophet

So there was no drama.

If that's the case, they should pick a canonical ending and change the map up a bit. Why would Nipton still have heads on sticks and shit seven years later? That being said I do like the general concept as it'll be a better fit for my Horizon overhaul playthrough.

Codex Year of the Donut
It will never happen if they have to recreate the voice assets.
why can't they just reuse the original voices of NV? Not redistributing them of course, but installing the mod you'd point to your totally legit install of NV and the mod would use that?
They can, regardless of what Bethesda says.
Creating a tool that would take assets from a FNV install and repackage them in a format for FO4 would be perfectly legal, as nothing that is copyrighted is being distributed.

Gargaune

Magister
why can't they just reuse the original voices of NV? Not redistributing them of course, but installing the mod you'd point to your totally legit install of NV and the mod would use that?
Creating a tool that would take assets from a FNV install and repackage them in a format for FO4 would be perfectly legal, as nothing that is copyrighted is being distributed.
Eh... First, "legal" and "EULA compliant" are very different things, and an amateur modding crew ain't gonna take the matter to court. Second, Bethesda has been very laissez faire about modding, as they should be, but if they were to start getting hassled by the VA union, for instance, it's not inconceivable they might slam the breaks on things - they wouldn't even have to fight the legality of a repackaging tool, they could just nix the game port altogether on general copyright. I don't expect they would in either case, I imagine they only said no when asked because they were contractually obligated to, but there is a risk.

Codex Year of the Donut
Eh... First, "legal" and "EULA compliant" are very different things, and an amateur modding crew ain't gonna take the matter to court. Second, Bethesda has been very laissez faire about modding, as they should be, but if they were to start getting hassled by the VA union, for instance, it's not inconceivable they might slam the breaks on things - they wouldn't even have to fight the legality of a repackaging tool, they could just nix the game port altogether on general copyright. I don't expect they would in either case, I imagine they only said no when asked because they were contractually obligated to, but there is a risk.
There's no EULA violation.
It's just taking files -- you legally own -- from one place on your computer, and putting them in another place in a specific format.

It's not even a hypothetical, it's how Tale of Two Wastelands already works: https://taleoftwowastelands.com/faq#TTWInstaller

Gargaune

Magister
There's no EULA violation.
It's just taking files -- you legally own -- from one place on your computer, and putting them in another place in a specific format.

It's not even a hypothetical, it's how Tale of Two Wastelands already works: https://taleoftwowastelands.com/faq#TTWInstaller
Because Bethesda's happy not giving a formal shit, not because you can do whatever you want "regardless of what Bethesda says." If they got their panties in a twist, they could just skip over any repackaging tools and shut down the main F4NV mod at their discretion. I doubt they would, but they have that ability.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I raise you Fallout 4: New Vegas

Some video collecting bits of what is known about the project:

I don`t know enough about the Besthesda mod scene, can they cease and desist this?

Random Cease and Desist after years of work is generally a good sign for other projects of when remakes were about to be announced.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
I raise you Fallout 4: New Vegas

Some video collecting bits of what is known about the project:

I don`t know enough about the Besthesda mod scene, can they cease and desist this?

Random Cease and Desist after years of work is generally a good sign for other projects of when remakes were about to be announced.

I know for a fact they are recording their own voice acting because they weren't allowed to use the original one - seems to me that implies they received no objection to anything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom