Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Day -1 impressions

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
For those of us who acquired Fallout 4 before the release date, we can DISCUS! it.

I have about 2.5 hours put into it. I feel that the opening was pretty awful on multiple levels. Similar to FO3's opening, but fortunately much shorter (about half as long).

Random thoughts:

- The new dialogue system is incredibly janky.
- They give you access to power armor as part of the first quest of the game, in which you kill a deathclaw with it. The power armor now has a fuel system, so it's more of a vehicle you use for difficult areas.
- All of the NPCs are... boring.
- Locations thus far are... boring.
- Companions so far (Robot and Dog) are very boring. Also super overpowered.
- Due to the new townbuilding system, you will want to loot absolutely everything, including the random junk items to get more resources. Makes the game feel even more 'gamey' (for lack of a better term)
- You start building your town like... 40 minutes in, lol.
- As long as you have ok STR, you will be amazing at all weapon types (no skills, so you start off great at melee and guns), no thought in character building to be had. You can take Special points as perks, and there's no level cap, so by the 'endgame', whatever that is, you will actually be truly maxed out in everything even without bobbleheads.
- Oh yes, the magical bobbleheads are back, and now there's also books that give you even more bonus perks.
- Sometimes the sky becomes green and every 5 seconds I take some radiation damage? Then it stops after a while? Not sure if this is some kind of weather effect, or a bethesderp story visions thing.

Overall I'm just really underwhelmed. So far, there's nothing so retarded that it's hilarious like Megaton. Instead everything is just... boring. Can't really play at all tomorrow. Later this week I'll go back in. Maybe some truly comical shit goes down once you get to the big city of the game.

And yes, I know the ending, which is why I'm holding out hope for something of a trainwreck to happen.

all in all, I'm very happy I didn't pay for this shit lmao

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
- As long as you have ok STR, you will be amazing at all weapon types (no skills, so you start off great at melee and guns)

So just like 3 and nv then? because the main thing the skills did there was add damage, and in similar proportions to 4.

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
it's hard to overstate how boring this game is. whoever was claiming the map was dense was bullshitting, it's an endless expanse of ugly brown grass and dead trees, punctuated with irritating mole rats and wild dogs.

the few dungeons ive been in were kind of fun, but you end up carrying around tons of shit because you can't break down duplicate weapons for parts in the field.

unless it really picks up im going to uninstall soon. literally worse than oblivion.

Nael

Arcane
Sooooo.... basically what you're saying is RPG of the Year? GOTY? GOAT?

Sounds like the town-building ended up being a shameless rip-off of return of the settler. Not sure if I ever expected better of them, but it's really bad when your devs can't do any better than the kludgey mod put together by three guys.

Beastro

Arcane
it's hard to overstate how boring this game is. whoever was claiming the map was dense was bullshitting, it's an endless expanse of ugly brown grass and dead trees, punctuated with irritating mole rats and wild dogs.

the few dungeons ive been in were kind of fun, but you end up carrying around tons of shit because you can't break down duplicate weapons for parts in the field.

unless it really picks up im going to uninstall soon. literally worse than oblivion.

That kinda crap in NV made me haul everything to the entrance of an area load by load as I filled up, then when I go to leave slap tgm into the console and carry it all back to my base in one load to save on time and frayed nerves.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Encountered a LEGENDARY VICIOUS MONGREL, and killed it.

It dropped a FORTIFYING LEFT RAIDER ARM (+1 Strength, +1 Endurance).

Terraria with guns?

Black

Arcane
DriacKin was last seen:
Jul 11, 2011

This is what bethesda does to people, beware.

Beastro

Arcane

Terraria with guns?

A development cycle like Terraria's would be a fitting reward for those who keep buying this tripe.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Terraria with guns?
Yep. There's a Diablo element to the game. Legendary monsters drop unique/RNG super lootz. If you play on Survival (hardest difficulty) you'll see more of them.

Completely dissapointing--a clear detoriation of Bethesda's standards. Such as shame that they could fall from games such as Morrowind and Fallout 3, to casual-pandering games such as this--you can clearly see that it was not quality vs quantitiy in mind when creating this, but money-over-quality.

I was a huge Blizzard fan in my youth, but I’ve been so let down by WoL, HotS and Diablo 3 + expansion that I’ve gotten to the point where I have zero interest or hope for this story. SC2 lost me with its prophecies, its alien queen with stiletto heels and its generic ultimate evil who wants to destroy everything basically because the creation of the Universe made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move. Probably just going to read a summary of the story somewhere, sip my coffee, shake my head, laugh a bit and then get on with playing Fallout 4

dem reviews and related comments though, more entertaining than the game itself

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
So just like 3 and nv then? because the main thing the skills did there was add damage, and in similar proportions to 4.

Uh, unless my memory is off (which it might be) I wasn't 2 shotting raiders with a Police Baton in those games at level 1 with no points in melee skill.

Also small guns made you shoot straighter. Your bullets would literally swerve around with a low gun skill, lol. Now you have dead-aim from the beginning (which I'm pretty ambivalent towards)

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
For those of us who acquired Fallout 4 before the release date, we can DISCUS! it.

I have about 2.5 hours put into it. I feel that the opening was pretty awful on multiple levels. Similar to FO3's opening, but fortunately much shorter (about half as long).

Random thoughts:

- The new dialogue system is incredibly janky.
- They give you access to power armor as part of the first quest of the game, in which you kill a deathclaw with it. The power armor now has a fuel system, so it's more of a vehicle you use for difficult areas.
- All of the NPCs are... boring.
- Locations thus far are... boring.
- Companions so far (Robot and Dog) are very boring. Also super overpowered.
- Due to the new townbuilding system, you will want to loot absolutely everything, including the random junk items to get more resources. Makes the game feel even more 'gamey' (for lack of a better term)
- You start building your town like... 40 minutes in, lol.
- As long as you have ok STR, you will be amazing at all weapon types (no skills, so you start off great at melee and guns), no thought in character building to be had. You can take Special points as perks, and there's no level cap, so by the 'endgame', whatever that is, you will actually be truly maxed out in everything even without bobbleheads.
- Oh yes, the magical bobbleheads are back, and now there's also books that give you even more bonus perks.
- Sometimes the sky becomes green and every 5 seconds I take some radiation damage? Then it stops after a while? Not sure if this is some kind of weather effect, or a bethesderp story visions thing.

The new dialogue system has to be my biggest complaint so far. Too many times the descriptions have been too vague or in, some cases, totally out of line with what the line actually reads. Also, the response from the npc almost never seems to fit in with the sarcastic or aggressive dialog options. It either just shuts down the conversation forcing you to go back and give the goody two-shoes response to move things along or treats you like you were nothing but willing to help in the first place. For all the focus on voice acting and animating believable characters they've totally thrown out any reactivity from NPCs.

I like the change to the power armor. I'm probably in the minority here on it, but having it as a limited resource is a nice change. I just don't know that they've succeeded in limiting it. I haven't left what's considered the starting zone (the green area in the guide's heatmap) and I've got a nice supply of fusion cores, two exoskeletons, and armor pieces for 1-1/2 t-45s. I get the feeling most average players won't be as thorough in their scavenging, but tying into what you said about the settlement building (shit), the junk you pick up also supersedes item pick ups from enemies.

Maybe I'm missing something, but almost all the Raiders are using some sort of pipe rifle or shotgun. A lot of the better ones I find have attachments I don't have access to or can't build yet, but I don't see any way to strip those attachments and re-combine them as I see fit. The only option I have is to junk the entire weapon itself. Is it really the case that I have to craft weapon sights entirely from scavenged materials every time I want to add it to a weapon instead of being able to take it off some existing rifle (of the base type)? The best loot drops in the game are wonderglue/duct tape, ammo, and synth components. Another gripe about the crafting system, there is no indication which armor 'bases' have the ability to be upgraded or layered on. Why can I layer on my vault suit and add deep pockets, but I can make no such change to the postal carrier outfit? There's no change to the base suit when you alter it. There layered armor doesn't seem like it would interfere too much with the other bits and there's no indication in the pipboy.

And yes, the radiation storms from the glowing sea roll in and hit you with rad damage.

PS - the default FOV is 70. I had to edit _ FOUR _ different ini files to change that to 90 because there is still no FOV option in the launcher or the game menu.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Uh, unless my memory is off (which it might be) I wasn't 2 shotting raiders with a Police Baton in those games at level 1 with no points in melee skill.

You weren't 2 shotting them with max skill either. You could easily beat them to death with it though even without skill.

Zeronet

Learned
I miss the way skills affected your dialogue, how your knowledge of science, medicine, guns etc could affect quests and dialogue. Dialogue now appears to solely rely on charisma.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom