Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Fallout 3: Who's who

xedoc gpr

Scholar
Nice response there. Uh, yeah.

Shoelip

Arbiter
GhanBuriGhan said:
Shoelip said:
I like chocolate milk!!

There should be no chocolate in milk, ever. The original milk didn't need chocolate, and was better off without it. Adding chocolate you get a sweet mainstream beverage, and certainly the mouthbreathing console kiddies will love it, but you can't call it milk. It's bad enough with all the sugar in other drinks, can't we at least let milk be milk? I hope all true milk fans rally to the defense of the milk spirit - since milk fans are what makes milk milk, there can be no success of chocolate milk without milk fans.

Well I'm lactose intolerant, so I guess I can't really be called a milk fan.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
xedoc gpr said:
the japanese trying to invent small catchy midi tunes while western pc devs had no size constraints.

That's incorrect. There were always been restraints in the past for game music composers, console or PC.

Yeah, and I think game music was much better back in the day when game musicians were limited by both size constraints and soundcard capabilities. Game music had a sound of it's own, and some of those tunes were really excellent. If I hear one of them I'll immediately remember which game it's from, and memories of the game will come flooding.

Conversely, modern games are usually stuck with quasi-symphonic movie-like background music. The last RPG I played was NWN2, and I can't even remember if it had music or not. It did, didn't it? It must have had...

xedoc gpr

Scholar
Conversely, modern games are usually stuck with quasi-symphonic movie-like background music.

If done well, it can be very effective. After all, the best symphonic scores for movies usually succeed in giving those movies unique identity in terms of music. I don't think it's a bad thing that game composers have more freedom nowadays, they just aren't using it to the fullest extent.

The problem is partly with these game designers who just want some generic orchestral wash to play in the background. I like doing some music for amateur games and mods every now and then, and a lot of the time rather then thinking of orchestral music as another medium which can be used to convey countless kinds of moods, emotions, etc. a lot of designers just associate it with the sound of a generic epic action flick. "I want orchestral music here." "Put some symphonic music in this part". I ask them to give me more detail and they stare.

Drakron

Arcane
True.

FF XII score almost failed to impress me but the piece that starts after the attack on the mountain fits the mood quite well for me.

Still does not changed the fact it simply had to have a "romantic theme" ... it gets points down for having a out of place score just because of tradition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom