Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 vs Ultima 9

Which one is worse?

• Ultima 9

Votes: 77 57.9%
  • Fallout 3

Votes: 56 42.1%

• Total voters

Whiner

Augur
"What's a paladin?"
Steel be with you.
Did they really had to turn cool interesting faction into stereotypical paladins ? Oblivion with guns to the max :gumpyhead: But I understand,bethesdatards can only comprehend Good vs Evil:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1580169
The Brotherhood of Steel was one of my favourite parts of Fallout 3. Heroic men and women fighting evil, helping people and wearing awesome armour whilst doing it. I knew the Brotherhood would not really feature in New Vegas but I was hopeful they'd at least make a small appearance.

Playing through New Vegas I saw the Brotherhood get mentioned a few times, in loading screen tips, Helion One etc. Somthing was wrong though. It seems the Brotherhood had gone to war with the NCR and lost. I could not understand it. The NCR were good guys, the Brotherhood were good guys, why would they fight each other and if they did fight how on earth did the Brotherhood lose?

I kept on playing the game, waiting for the Brotherhood to show its self with a perfectly acceptable reason as to why they fought the NCR and why they lost. Maybe it had been a simple misunderstanding? Maybe the Brotherhood had been betrayed by someone who leaked vital military infomation to the NCR and that's why the Brotherhood lost? It was around the time I was thinking this when I bumped into Veronica. I was very happy to see her. She would set things right in the game, she would lead me to the Brotherhood, lead me to some awesome power armour and help me fix the misunderstanding the Brotherhood must have had with the NCR. I questioned her deeply and what I found was horrendous. The Brotherhood she described was not the Brotherhood of Fallout 3, it was not a faction of men and women doing what was right and helping restore the world. Rather it sounded like a faction of misguided fanatics. I kept Veronica with me and continued playing through the game.

After many, many hours of gameplay she finaly said she would take me to the Brotherhood. Ecstatic I rushed to the point indicated on my map. What I found when I got there was terrible. The Brotherhood was just as Veronica had said. These men weren't the heroic good guys they were a bunch of hate filled, misguided, weak fanatics. What's even worse was they no longer had cool power armour. They did have power armour but visually it was but a shadow of the glory of Fallout 3s power armour. But maybe, I hoped, things could be fixed.

Veronica wanted to help save the Brotherhood and I could help her do it, help her restor the Brotherhood to its Fallout 3 glory. And so I quested with her to find the technology that would fix everything. I collected the Pulsegun from Vault 22 and eagerly travelled back to the Elder. But alas he would not accept it. Veroinca and I were both greatly dismayed and left the bunker. I still have a quest from the Brotherhood to help the Elder with some tasks that I'm going to complete but I'm not hopeful. If Veronicas quest could not bring the Brotherhood back to glory how could this one?

All this leaves me wondering why? Why did Obsidian Entertainment have to destroy the Brotherhood of Steel? Is it because they were jealous of what Bethesda had created? They could have at least kept the power armour the same.
Ultima 9 is worse mechanically,but I choose Fallout 3,because of the fans.Shitty game with huge retarded fanbase that thinks it's a masterpiece vs shittier game,that no one likes.
Still no one can beat Oblivion,that game has it all.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
(EDIT: You should note that the thread immediately has people come to correct him.)

Fallout 3 has the distinction of being the worst Fallout game
Incorrect.

Fallout 3 is nowhere, NOWHERE near as bad as Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout 3 is nowhere, NOWHERE near as bad as Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.

That's true. Fallout 3 as about as much better than PoS as it is worse than the original series. The fun thing is, it's all in all much more of a sequel to PoS and had been presented as such, the point of reference might've made the game feel just a tad better.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Played Fallout 3 with some "realistic" combat mod. The Vault part was kinda neat.
Except for the hitting everything easily with 15% small guns skill thingie.

I suspect it would be quite awful without the mod, though.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
I've never been hot for mods, nor truly got into the "mods will fix it" mentality. In games I've used them (which are admittedly very few in numbers), they've never been able to replace the first impression or to "fixi it" on a fundamental level (this is especially true with Beth games where the the problems usually taint the very core of the game), and usually just resulted in a tacked on and petty feature hunting that gets tiresome very early, and despite the intentions, feels always just enough off the point to make it feel more odd than actually improved.

Lemming42

Arcane
I've never been hot for mods, nor truly got into the "mods will fix it" mentality. In games I've used them (which are admittedly very few in numbers), they've never been able to replace the first impression or to "fixi it" on a fundamental level (this is especially true with Beth games where the the problems usually taint the very core of the game), and usually just resulted in a tacked on and petty feature hunting that gets tiresome very early, and despite the intentions, feels always just enough off the point to make it feel more odd than actually improved.

I know you've probably heard this before, but mods actually do fix it in Bethesda's case. Skyrim and Fo3 in particular.

My Fallout 3 mods folder is 24gb and my Skyrim mod folder is 26gb, though, so uh... that probably just goes to show something, but I dunno what.

Giskard

Augur

I know you've probably heard this before, but mods actually do fix it in Bethesda's case. Skyrim and Fo3 in particular.

My Fallout 3 mods folder is 24gb and my Skyrim mod folder is 26gb, though, so uh... that probably just goes to show something, but I dunno what.

Maybe you have Compulsive Modding Disorder?:salute:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Certainly U9 is worse.

Even if you completely ignore the lore and forget that it is part of a series. It is just an incredibly bad game by all standards. There's not even a "for its time" to redeem it. It sucked from the moment it was released and everyone admitted it. Even if it was not buggy as hell, it would still be broken design wise. And control wise. And... what's a paladin?

:Flash:

Arcane
Certainly U9 is worse.

Even if you completely ignore the lore and forget that it is part of a series. It is just an incredibly bad game by all standards. There's not even a "for its time" to redeem it. It sucked from the moment it was released and everyone admitted it. Even if it was not buggy as hell, it would still be broken design wise. And control wise. And... what's a paladin?
"What's a paladin" in the other stupid questions are actually an unfair criticism IMO, even it is about the only unfair criticism UIX can get.
The game doesn't force you to ask those questions. The real problem is that most gamers have been trained to mindlessly select all dialogue options until the list is empty, but that's a stupid way to play games. I regularly have problems in games because I don't select a certain dialogue option because I consider them to be out of character, only to then discover that you needed to select that option in order to progress. That is bad game design.
But in UIX "What's a paladin?" means that the player is dumb, not the game. Having to re-learn the mantras, now that is something completely different.

likaq

Arcane

No amount of mods can fix fallout 3 oblivion with guns. Period. Theoretically speaking proper total conversion mod could save this game but such mod will never be created because 99% (if not more ) of fallout 3 modders are retarded.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1580169
The Brotherhood of Steel was one of my favourite parts of Fallout 3. Heroic men and women fighting evil, helping people and wearing awesome armour whilst doing it. I knew the Brotherhood would not really feature in New Vegas but I was hopeful they'd at least make a small appearance.[...]

Funny, for a big fan of FO3's Brotherhood he managed to miss the many, many times it's explained they are a splinter group with radically different objectives and behavior, and their reason for using a different armor model, so even if you never touch any of the other games you'd know you won't be seeing them again. Steel be hitting you in the head.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Got to put my money on Fallout 3. Fallout 3 I actually suffered all the way through until that terrible ending, all plot holes and the insufferable mainquest stuffs. I hated everything except President Eden, and only until I found out the "AMAZING TWIST" about him and persuaded him to self-destruct with a non-speech, low Charisma character at zero effort.

Ultima 9 on the other hand, had a great Stones2 version, the tune that identifies Ultima for me (mostly on account of having been an active UO player for too long), and even the land was kinda a lil bit.. magical.. okay, I guess I don't know what I liked more about it, other than the fact: It was so buggy I couldn't finish it, not even get far enough to get into all the stupid idiotic ruinous content.
U9 may be bad but it was considerate enough to protect me from it.
Fallout 3.. did no such thing.

Lemming42

Arcane

No amount of mods can fix fallout 3 oblivion with guns. Period. Theoretically speaking proper total conversion mod could save this game but such mod will never be created because 99% (if not more ) of fallout 3 modders are retarded.

Depends what you're wanting with a "fix". If you want a Fallout game or a good RPG, you're never going to get it. If you want a decent exploration/action game with solid and even at times difficult combat, you can get that. Obviously no mod can fix the derpy dialogue or shitty story though.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Even the redeeming aspects of Fallout 3 have been rendered a moot point since New Vegas though. There's really no reason to play it when NV is a better game in just about every way.

likaq

Arcane

Depends what you're wanting with a "fix". If you want a Fallout game or a good RPG, you're never going to get it. If you want a decent exploration/action game with solid and even at times difficult combat, you can get that. Obviously no mod can fix the derpy dialogue or shitty story though.

I want fallout game or at least good crpg. From this perspective fallout 3 is unfixable. :(

A user named cat

Poll is missing Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Dranno.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I almost quit at the very end because I thought the ending they were forcing me into was too retarded to allow.

I still remember the end of FO3. I had Fawkes the COMPLETELY RADIATION RESISTANT MUTANT standing next to me. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to get him to go in... then I just gave in and let the game finish on its own terms. That was brutal.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron

I have. And they don't; not always. I wasn't able to peel a good game out of the shit even with mods and pretenses of it being something else that said it was -- granted, though, it's been four+ years since I last played the game and there's plenty of mods since then, but there is a sort of a principle rule I have with these sorts of things. Everything affects everything, decent combat mods didn't, and won't make the rest of the game any more enjoyable; and the emptiness at the core of the whole thing, consisting of the interplay all of it's aspects, is untouchable by mods. I can't approach the game as a Halfwit Dungeonromp for the Debilitated Modded for Excellance(tm) and enjoy it because that's not a game I enjoy playing.

Same goes for Skyrim, although it is already a halfwit dungeonromp by nature; maybe I'm a weakling, but I can't handle it more than ten minutes at a time anymore, and haven't even been able to even finish it (what ever finishing the MQ means in that game; probably nothing).

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Even the redeeming aspects of Fallout 3 have been rendered a moot point since New Vegas though. There's really no reason to play it when NV is a better game in just about every way.
I disagree. It's easier to pretend that you're not playing a mechanical Fallout rape but a separate thing when playing Fallout 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom