Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout 3 preview at Game Revolution

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Bethesda, you're no fun anymore.

dragonfk

Erudite
The number of NPCs in Fallout 3 is about 300
One rather more evil quest we saw at Bethesda's dev studio in Maryland was to detonate a warhead at the center of Megaton, a large town filled with people going about their daily lives.

And so from number 300 NPC the number goes to 1 (the one from you had that quest) and so Beth wont have to struggle with all that unnececary dialogue situations with whom they had problems since Arena. Ow and if you decide not to blow the town away it will be blown anyway...You know, someone is going to trip and press the button by "accident". It maybe even Tods clone so to make the situation more believable.

...you can zoom out even further to get to the franchise-beloved 3rd person perspective.

And whats so fucking special about that? Or maybe its a hidden isometric view ?

NiM82

Prophet
.... and socialize with other people about topics that interest them.
Translates into: 'I saw a rad scorpion today, filthy things!' ?

Dialogue appear to be on the lines of Bioware stuff with cookie cutter good/evil choices, guess that's a step in the right direction for them - if they actually deliver it.

Meh. Sounds like it could be a marginally better game than Oblivion, but fuck is it Fallout (or an RPG).

Lumpy

Arcane
Major_Blackhart said:
Tell me these arent actual titles: NPC reactions to you will also change as your title shifts from "Noob Vault Dweller" to "HaXXor - Nuker of Cities".
It's a joke. Really. It has to be a joke. Either the magazine tried to be funny, or Bethesda hid an easter egg in the presentation.
But it is a joke. Sure Bethesda did some stupid shit, but they aren't that retarded.

Black

Arcane
Lumpy said:
Major_Blackhart said:
Tell me these arent actual titles: NPC reactions to you will also change as your title shifts from "Noob Vault Dweller" to "HaXXor - Nuker of Cities".
It's a joke. Really. It has to be a joke. Either the magazine tried to be funny, or Bethesda hid an easter egg in the presentation.
But it is a joke. Sure Bethesda did some stupid shit, but they aren't that retarded.
Or are they?
Dun dun duuunnnn!

dragonfk

Erudite
Admiral jimbob said:
Bradylama said:
Every time I hear about Liam leaving the vault it sounds like he just disappears. Like anybody just disappears from a place where there's only one way in and one way out. Somebody's going to fucking notice.

Not when it's a Jedi Master.

So not only is it FO franchise but its also long awaited KOTOR 3? Fallout 3 and KOTOR 3 in one? What possibly could be more beautiful(besides multiheaded dick)? Wow that really ROCKS!!

M0RBUS

Augur
merry andrew said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Vault Boy is an NPC in Fallout 3.
Called PIPboy... yeah, me neither...

Anyway, anyone saw the PIPboy version 3000 thing? I thought it was called "PIPboy 2000" and not only "PIPboy" with the 2000 as an addendum.. -_- fuckers... seen the description for agility? Now compare it to the REAL FREAKING DESCRIPTION! Bunch of cock-sucking-shit-eating-dumb-fuck-retard bastards!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vault Dweller said:
Grow up, Todd.
No, he's right. After playing the Fallout demo, I bought the game in no small part because of the cool death animations.
Of course, it turned out it was such a great RPG I didn't even notice the death animations were seriously tuned down in the German version. I'm not sure there even were any besides simply dropping to the ground.
I'm still happier with the English version.

I don't even mind Megaton, the silly town built around a nuke. I don't mind blowing up that town either.
However, this is Bethesda. I don't trust them to get anything right, and I don't want to see their "reimagination" of Fallout.

Bradylama said:
Every time I hear about Liam leaving the vault it sounds like he just disappears. Like anybody just disappears from a place where there's only one way in and one iway out. Somebody's going to fucking notice.
Especiallyn a Vault. I mean, what with the sirens going off when you open the Vault door and all that.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I declare Bethesda's fallout 3 a weapon of mass destruction due to it's franchise raping qualities. Now all we need is a superpower willing to bomb the crap out of bethesda HQ. Did I mention there is oil under their HQ?

callehe

Liturgist
let's hope a meteor strikes their headquarters killing everyone in it.
(come on MSFD, let's hear it)

it's strange, i can't access the article... oh well it sounds so retarded i don't want to read the whole thing.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lumpy said:
Back in the day, Oblivion's NPCs were engaging in meaningful and complex activities based on advanced schedules. Now, apparently they were going around doing random minor stuff.

Back in the day meaning when all we had to go on was hype before anyone actually played the pos

hotdognights

Novice
I really think the Haxxor comment was a (poor) joke on the part of the article; the only writers worse than Bethesda game developers are video game journalists.

The worst part of the article, though, is that it goes into painstaking detail about the graphics, and the violence, and the supposed "edginess" of the game, but states a priori that the game will have multiple quest solutions and moral ambiguity.

In Oblivion, being a part of the assassins guild and murdering innocents because it was your job wasn't morally ambiguous(despite the back patting that Bethesda fans like to give that series of quests). In Fallout 3, blowing up a town of civilians isn't morally ambiguous either. It's the player character being an asshole, plain and simple. Moral ambiguity is when the main antagonist seeks to re-spark civilization by destroying(or radically altering) humanity, or an organization exists that holds the secrets of civilization but refuses to share them out of intense isolationism and quasi-religious fervor.

But in Bethesda's Fallout, mutants are cannon fodder monsters and the Brotherhood of Steel knights in shiny, albeit haphazard, armor.

obediah

Erudite
the first solid bridge between the rapidly growing RPG genre and the immensely pop FPS category

This is probably the stupidest thing I've heard in months. Really terrible stuff.

As for the game - having three times the effort put into each NPC over Oblivion doesn't inspire hope. I can't believe that any effort was put into most of the Oblivion NPC's, hit random on facegen and give them the voice for their race - *bam* NPC.

Stupid-hype aside, there is a small chance that radiant AI has the potential to become something good. Maybe improvements in their coding, and some performance tweaks means we'll see something more impressive. I had some clever quip about the consoles getting in thte way of using increased CPU power over the last year to put more into the AI, but PC's performance has spent the last year treading water as well.

giantgnome

Scholar
Honestly this game is sounding worse and worse the more I hear about it. At least Oblivion sounded good, and look how shitty that turned out.

Texas Red

Whiner
This is a failure to the free market. No, really. The game journalist are clearly bribed and will suck penis of any developer/publisher who throws money at them. Why isnt this regulated? Yet again we will have to suffer the 100% of at least 8/10 reviews. Who ever heard of such scores in any other industry?

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Aside from everything else - and games journalism gets so much shit wrong that I don't know what to believe - I miss the eye and groin called shots. Those two gave soul to the whole system and made it fun. I hope they are not removed in FO3.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You know, I remember when I got one of the first game magazines in my life, there was a disc with like 30 games in it.
And they were all completely different! From a football-like game played with three balls to a text adventure.
It seems to me that next-gen means FPS to some people.

By the way, I can't find the article either.

Vival

Augur
LittleJoe said:
Is V.A.T.S a sort of special ability that gives you an advantage for a few seconds, and then the rest of the battle is in real time? I don't get it.

It's probably some sort of auotaim for the the console gamers.

Krafter

Scholar
obediah said:
the first solid bridge between the rapidly growing RPG genre and the immensely pop FPS category

This is probably the stupidest thing I've heard in months. Really terrible stuff.
Agreed. Does it really say "pop" instead of (presumably) popular? Are the video game audience ADD to the point where we can't be bothered to spell out words over five letters? Oh, we can always used full-voice instead! Whee! :roll:

Considering that Bethesda is counting every single insignifigant person as an NPC, 300 sounds like an awfully small amount of people. They're cutting back on everything, save for the money they throw to the media.

robur

Scholar
Role-Player said:
Hey, I enjoy ass-kicking. There's nothing wrong with watching a neophyte grow into a force to be reckoned with and administering different levels of ownage. The key difference here is how Toddler - or the previews - imply that ass-kicking is all about guns and violence. Well, it's not. That was one of the cool things about Fallout. You can kick ass in many ways other than the standard and drab action hero. Want to get rid of the Super Mutants in Broken Hills? Sure, you could pump yourself with some Buffout, whip out a Bozar and unleash a hail of bullets. But you also could join the human racists and slowly work your way towards eliminating the Mutants in other ways, culminating in the mine's explosion.

Sure, it's not a particularly diverse example but it's a glimpse into how "kick-ass" could be anything from "action hero that shoots his way through problems" to "sneaky bastard gets away with the loot and the girl" or "charismatic do-gooder convinces criminals to leave a small community alone". Dealing with the crime families in New Reno was another example. Salvatore in particular could be killed, robbed of his oxygen tanks or have them replaced with poison. That's bad ass - outwitting your adversary, not striking a pose over a Mutant's corpse while holding two Desert Eagles.

People can harp all they want about how one can't judge a game before it's released but every single preview or newsbit I see concerning Fallout 3 has Bethesda go "it's got cool, fast nuclear action and explosions. oh, and there's some words for people who like to read, too". To them and a large contigent of the Fallout 3 apologists, bad ass translates into "gunz".

Cannon-wielding Behemots

Behemots?!

161393mj6.jpg

Are these mooks going the Tactics way?

Babs and Jim don't look too good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom