Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 PC Powerplay preview

JrK

Prophet
Lyric Suite said:
JrK said:
Is it me or are they trying to snoop in more "choices & consequences" with every new preview?

I have a feeling C&C is going to be the new buzz word for next generation rpgs.

Same here... I'm expecting it to be twisted in "choose your own consequences" though. :( (aka choose which quests to do or not ala OB)

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Tom Howard said:
Essentially, the SPECIAL roleplaying system is very very similar to the first game. We have the same number of stats, and the same ability to make choices about how your character develops. The game is about choice and consequence and I think we're capturing that really well.
...really? In the original, the highest your action points went was 10, if your character had a really, REALLY high sence of agility. In Fallout 3, the action points are like in the 100s. So it may be a little more like Morrowind than actuall Fallout.

Developers across the world go on about how players don't want stats, how they want the game world to be seamless, for all the mechanics to be hidden away.
Dear god I hope that's not true. If it is, then those people just need to stick with action games, and leave REAL Role playing games the fuck alone.

Tom E said:
"I don't think gamers are afraid of stats. I mean, Fallout 3 has fewer stats than Oblivion, and that game was very successful."
If that's true, then why does Arena offer more stats than Oblivion? Does the word SIMPLIFY come in mind? There's a difference between SIMPLIFY and SLOW...or how I love to put it, RETARTED.

I'll admit that I was impressed by the whole "Leave your body, and check the surroundings" aspect of the V.A.T.S, I'm still a little skeptical about the "multi branched" quests, seeing that Oblivion didn't offer any.

obediah

Erudite
Todd The Rod said:
I think any gamer wants a game with a nice interface and that eases them into how the game behaves.

Back in the days before FPS and RTS, nearly every game played differently, and most had quite complex control schemes, and no interface tutorials.

Now every game seems to follow one of 2 control schemes, and they all spend the first hour of the game assuming you've just woken from a 25 year coma with some mild retardation. At least most 360 people seem to just overlay some text and the correct button. It's annoying, but less intrusive than an in-game character saying "Ack, goblins. Use the left d-pad to aim and pull the right trigger to shoot"

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I always felt like bringing that up at some point.

I vaguely remember one of my first gaming mags. It had a disk with like 20 games on it. And every single game was utterly unique.

Now developers and gaming morons constantly talk of innovashun but it mostly seems to mean FPS.

Klaz

Scholar
If that's true, then why does Arena offer more stats than Oblivion? Does the word SIMPLIFY come in mind? There's a difference between SIMPLIFY and SLOW...or how I love to put it, RETARTED.

Well, to be fair, Oblivion has more skills and attributes than the Fallout games, so it might be refering to that, it's just that Fallout had more diversity between them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom