Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 is Revolutionary.

elander_

Arbiter
People love this crap of being able to use emoticons and expressions. It's like in Second Life where you can pre-program animations that express a certain emotion, like puppy eyes and puppy dance. Revolutionary ? It's certainly revolutionary in a stupid way that was never done before to see someone doing this outside an MMORPG environment. The trouble for someone to create reactions whenever a baby cries is better spent on making worthy dialog choices that will be important for playing the game.

DoppelG

Scholar
Just wants to copy Fable, i find it to be pathetic, really. You can see it in other things too, like Dogmeat has suddenly become this complete feature of searching loot for you and whatnot, obviously included after Lionhead released some Fable 2's info on what their dog will mean in their game. LAME, Beth.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
lastweek.jpg

Kaiserin

Liturgist
It's only during the character creation sequence. I'm not sure why everybody is making such a huge damned deal out of this utterly trivial bit of window dressing.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Because they enjoy making a big deal out of trivial window dressing?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Shoelip said:
No, because they are concentrating on making some useless shit when they should take care of something important - diaogue, c&c, quests... etc.

TheLostOne

Savant
WhiskeyWolf said:
Shoelip said:
No, because they are concentrating on making some useless shit when they should take care of something important - diaogue, c&c, quests... etc.

Here's the thing. There's nothing wrong with cute gimmicks that add flavor in games. The problem is the gimmicks are what is being hyped to us about the game. Radio Pip-boy, I-can't-believe-it's-not-fable2 Dog Meat, crying in char creation, toilet drinking, etc. are all things that are actually being advertised.

Where's the actual game? You don't advertise your gimmicks, because then they aren't neat little "oh cool" moments in the game because you're looking for them. Where the hell is the game?

The reason people are pissed is because they are afraid they know the answer. The gimmicks are the game. Oblivion + gimmicks = Fallout 3. There's nothing else there.

Now it's possible that there is a really great game underneath it all, and Bethesda just doesn't understand how to advertise games. Somehow, I think it's unlikely.

flabbyjack

Arcane
You'll literally emerge from your mother's womb and open your eyes to see a doctor and your father (voiced by Liam Neeson) looking down on you.

The pinnacle of storytelling is emergence from a womb, observe --

Doctor : "It's a bouncing baby boy!" *Shoves finger down throat to clear mucous* *SMACK*
Baby : "WAAA!! That hurts, jerk. Hey, what are you doing with those shears?!? AAAHHH!!! My gigantic second penis... gone... gone..."

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
flabbyjack said:
You'll literally emerge from your mother's womb and open your eyes to see a doctor and your father (voiced by Liam Neeson) looking down on you.

The pinnacle of storytelling is emergence from a womb, observe --

Doctor : "It's a bouncing baby boy!" *Shoves finger down throat to clear mucous* *SMACK*
Baby : "WAAA!! That hurts, jerk. Hey, what are you doing with those shears?!? AAAHHH!!! My gigantic second penis... gone... gone..."

I hope it won't sell in the US because of that. Sexual themes, you know...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom