Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fallout 3 interview at Shacknews

Briosafreak

Augur
than he was actually angry at us

He was, I'm not sure why, Kharn talked to him I think, he might know more. I can only speculate that it was the wrath of Rosh against Oblivion when it was released, and a few of us showing disappointment for the game. Or something else, that didn't bother me for quite sometime, until everyone seemed to be interested in the game again.

I remember his name from the past, he's not dumb or anything, seems an interesting fellow.

I think the hardcore fans are incredibly misunderstood, and frankly, have been mistreated in the past.

Where is THAT from?

Section8

Cipher
Oh, and while I think about it, when Pete Hines used to work for the Avault, as a big Interplay fan, they gave him all the Interplay releases to review? Talk about integrity. And it seems that slippery slope of whoredom eventually lands you in darkest recesses of gaming PR.

Briosafreak

Augur
I thought I had all interviews on my head by now, after reviewing everything in the last couple of weeks. Oh well, Emil was even more laudatory when he first showed up at NMA, now everything is starting to feel strangely bizarre...

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Pete Hines said:
It kind of has that same feel, that people are saying, "Yeah, I liked Oblivion, and you guys are good at roleplaying, but you have to prove that you aren't going to screw up this beloved franchise." We think we can do it.

Yes, I also think that you can do it (screwing up the franchise, that is).

Jim Kata

Arbiter
aries202 said:
Maybe, Just Maybe....

Emil being the lead designer and all and Todd Howard being in charge.

To me, Todd really is sincere about this project.
I really do hope that his visions on Fallout 3 will be allowed to shine through the game.

I mean --- what if Tood & CO. actually delivers, and makes a great game, and then Hines & staff got a look at it and say: 'hey - it's not console like enough.' 'We'd need to take this out and & put
that in the game just in order to sell millions of
games.'

It sounds like they are using the RAI-system again, and that they, again, quite can't control their characters (yet). Maybe, they should try coding the characters another way.

If the game is released as Todd's visions are presented here, my best guess is that the whole
Oblivion console segment would run & by this game, thinking it is 'oblivion with guns'. And then complain a lot about the game being to hard and stuff.

Blah, just play my M&B post appoc mod when it comes out if you really need a fallouty game. I wpuld bet millions of dollars it will be a better game (in my eyes) than whatever monstrosity they scrape together from the bottom of abortion clinic dumpsters.

One Wolf

Scholar
my god, this place is going to burst into fucking FLAMES when FO3 info comes out. it's exciting. and a little frightening, come to think of it.....

i'm mentally preparing myself for the day when i check in and find the thread that discusses fo3's Teen rating. and yes, by "preparing" i mean "stockpiling narcotics".

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Basically anything Pete Hines says is irrelevant because we have this quote from him;

"Pete Hines: Again, it's early to say, but it wouldn't be a leap of faith to say that we plan to use technologies in development otherwise. You could make some fairly safe leaps of faith that it would be similar in style. We're not going to go away from what it is that we do best. We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well."

Everything else is just shit with gravy on it.

Globbi

Augur
Where are the fucking fallout fans that like Oblivion and faithfully wait for F3?

KreideBein

Scholar
Briosafreak said:
The children seems to be the issue now, I think we're in for another world of grown up bored NPCs.

Since the game will be M, the only reason to not have children would be laziness on the part of the developers. There have been several M-rated games that released recently (most notably Prey) that contained some rather brutal violence against children, so it should be possible to implement them into the game without having the ESRB slap an A rating onto it. Of course, the Jack Thompsons of the world might not be too happy...

POOPERSCOOPER said:
"Pete Hines: Again, it's early to say, but it wouldn't be a leap of faith to say that we plan to use technologies in development otherwise. You could make some fairly safe leaps of faith that it would be similar in style. We're not going to go away from what it is that we do best. We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well."

Aside from being quite stupid, this quote is also rather confusing. It very much implies that FO3 will be a real time game, but it has also been said that they plan on using SPECIAL. How the hell are they going to implement SPECIAL in a real time game?

One Wolf

Scholar
^ agility makes you jump higher, silly.

They are making it a M game, they confirmed that.

there is a thread around here somewhere with a big fat list of things that were "confirmed" for oblivion, and they turned out to be a bunch of lies. so who knows?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
KreideBein said:
Aside from being quite stupid, this quote is also rather confusing. It very much implies that FO3 will be a real time game, but it has also been said that they plan on using SPECIAL. How the hell are they going to implement SPECIAL in a real time game?
Lionheart?

KreideBein

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
KreideBein said:
Lionheart?

Well, I avoided that one based on the response here. :D Could you give a brief explanation as to how it translates to real time?

I echo Kharn's opinion. In fact, I can't even remember USING a skill in Lionheart; all I remember is massive amounts of left-clicking.

no

Novice
Emil Pagliarulo is the lead designer of FO3? I haven't played Oblivion, but he did some extremely bitching level design/writing for the Thief series at LGS/Ion Storm. Not that I'm getting my hopes up, but at least they got an imaginative guy at a key design position.

Oh, and he also voiced that opera guy in this brilliant Thief mission. :D

"I spy you little fish... or is it a big fish rather?"

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
KreideBein said:
Vault Dweller said:
KreideBein said:
Lionheart?

Well, I avoided that one based on the response here. :D Could you give a brief explanation as to how it translates to real time?
The same way DnD translates to real time.

Desslock said:
Briosafreak said:
On a final note there seems to be a few doubts on how the game will turn out. First person and Real Time combat are locked, there's no way to change that.
All I'll say is that you are wrong.
Well, Desslock visited Bethesda 4 months ago. After the visit he wrote that article with 5 tips for the developers. The first one was "Get the combat system right: ...Oblivion action-combat system won't cut it...". Needless to say, it's unlikely that he saw a turn-based prototype and then wrote the above.

taxacaria

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
After the visit he wrote that article with 5 tips for the developers. The first one was "Get the combat system right: ...Oblivion action-combat system won't cut it..."

is there a link to this article?

taxacaria

Scholar
thxs

omg
action combat system...levelling...dumbed down char system...
sounds like Oblivion - are that Todd's visions of Fallout?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom